Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how long
5 years 15 36.59%
10 years 5 12.20%
20 years 2 4.88%
never......the party will just fade out of existance the same way other political parties in our short history have 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

I did not like any of the choices in the poll. My opinion is that candidates like Rand Paul are getting traction, because he is a good mix of fiscal conservatism and personal liberty (libertarianism). This resonates with me.

On the other hand, the pendulum has swung so far to the left that perhaps a true conservative can win the next election.

That's what is so compelling about politics. Just when I think I can't take it anymore, I still have to peek at what's going on.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Decent folks like Gingrich who cheated on two sick wives?
As you well know, Clinton lowered the morality bar into the toilet, and everyone was OK with it, so that argument is no longer pertinent.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:28 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Hogwash. GOP is the smallest voting block. Want POTUS-simple, win 3 of the 19 states blue since 1988, states like Ct and NJ. That will not happen by running a pitchfork social conservative. If they ran one, they would likely lose the House, lose 60 plus Senate seats, and lose 400 electoral votes.

The GOP conveniently overlooks that as the TINY group, with Independents first, Dems 2nd, they must outperform the Dems at crossover votes from each of those 2..vastly outperform.

What should scare the daylights out of winning with Bush is Va was not solid blue yet, as it is now, and still, against 2 cadavers they got just 286 and 271. The Dems worst during their 4 wins was over 50 electoral votes higher.
Yeah your not getting Ct and NJ if you are a not a conservative. The demographics are horrible. You might as well try for Maryland while you are at it.

The simple fact is the GOP doesn't need CT. They get the equivalent of a CT every ten years from reapportionment. What they need to do is hold the states George Bush won in 2000 and 2004. The way they do that is by appealing to social conservatives, maybe not on gay rights anymore, but certainly on abortion, guns, and "values" while at the same time taking a more compassionate approach on issues like immigration and education.

That was the Bush strategy and it worked pretty well. As far as Virginia is concerned when the social conservatives are motivated those rural and exurban counties can take out fairfax county in a heartbeat.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Yeah your not getting Ct and NJ if you are a not a conservative. The demographics are horrible. You might as well try for Maryland while you are at it.

The simple fact is the GOP doesn't need CT. They get the equivalent of a CT every ten years from reapportionment. What they need to do is hold the states George Bush won in 2000 and 2004. The way they do that is by appealing to social conservatives, maybe not on gay rights anymore, but certainly on abortion, guns, and "values" while at the same time taking a more compassionate approach on issues like immigration and education.

That was the Bush strategy and it worked pretty well. As far as Virginia is concerned when the social conservatives are motivated those rural and exurban counties can take out fairfax county in a heartbeat.
Reapportionment became a big so what last decade. There are more red states blue bound within 10-20 years. Some of the 19 need to be converted, or we have a one party system.

Abortion is what widened the gap in 2008 and 2012, single moms went 67-31 Dems. Females are the majority of the vote for POTUS.

In short, Bush would lose now running exactly the races he ran last decade. Times change.

As for Fairfax, it is much bigger. Can't erase it now. It is still growing. Rural Va is not.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Libertarian Party = Fail Party

I have repeatedly said exactly what the Libertarian Party must do in order to make the "greater gains" you can only dream about in your little dreamy dreams.

I've been saying that since I first saw the Big-Eared Galoot himself on Larry King Live.

And what has the Libertarian Party accomplished since then?

Absolutely nothing very slowly.

Does that impress me?

No....it most certainly does not impress me.

That tells me the leadership of the Libertarian Party is stupid, and I have this personal rule about never giving allegiance to anyone who is 5 or more Standard Deviations dumber than I am, and stupid people are dumber than dumb people, idiots, morons and imbeciles.

However, for cash consideration, say $150,000, I'll set up the Libertarian Party real nice with the "greater gains" that you seek taking control of townships, cities, counties and State legislatures. For another $100,000 I'll even help you get Libertarians elected to the federal House and Senate.

Mircea[/quote]

Even with those problems, one would think the Libertarians should have made more progress. BTW, I am not Libertarian. I am Democrat and was just surprised. That was all. One thing we all know is the GOP is really struggling and they have major party status and have been a political party a lot longer than the Libertarians.

Charlton Heston is probably best known for his NRA membership and strong support for the 2nd amendment and also being asked for an interview in the Michael Moore documentary Bowling Columbine, but he was involved in a lot of other efforts as well. Thanks for sharing those.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Reapportionment became a big so what last decade. There are more red states blue bound within 10-20 years. Some of the 19 need to be converted, or we have a one party system.

Abortion is what widened the gap in 2008 and 2012, single moms went 67-31 Dems. Females are the majority of the vote for POTUS.

In short, Bush would lose now running exactly the races he ran last decade. Times change.

As for Fairfax, it is much bigger. Can't erase it now. It is still growing. Rural Va is not.
Opinions on abortion have not changed in recent years. 37% thought it should be "generally available" in 2013 (the Democrats' position) while 39% thought the same in 2003, according to CBS News. ( Abortion ). 31% thought abortion should be "generally illegal" in the first trimester (a strong Republican position) in late 2012; the figure was 30% in 1996. Support for abortion (and, according to Wikipedia, the pro-choice movement) peaked in the early 1990's.

When you look at the gender composition of abortion opponents, the male - female gap is either statistically insignificant or isn't that large. Not all women are radical feminists (or even feminists) or promiscuous.

Where the public opinion has really changed is on same-sex marriage. What was once a position of the radical left has moved nearer to the center. A person who opposed abortion but supported same-sex marriage would be a member of a very rare breed in the 1990's, but now such individuals are more common, especially among the youth.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:

Fairfax is reaching build out and while it is true SW Virginia is losing population there is a whole lot of growth in the Republican areas between Nova and Richmond.

Granted all of this is irrelevant because there is no way the GOP is going to be able to deal with attracting minorities at least not anytime soon, which is really what they need a whole lot more then fighting about whether to be the party of white libertarians or the party of white social conservatives.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Fairfax is reaching build out and while it is true SW Virginia is losing population there is a whole lot of growth in the Republican areas between Nova and Richmond.

Granted all of this is irrelevant because there is no way the GOP is going to be able to deal with attracting minorities at least not anytime soon, which is really what they need a whole lot more then fighting about whether to be the party of white libertarians or the party of white social conservatives.

Minorities and single women are the two biggest insurmountable obstacles.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I will never "back off" either, because I am convinced that conservative ideas are not only right, they are the only ideas that are truly liberating. Liberty is precious, defined as the freedom to act according to your own plan, and to do what you think is best for you.

"Progressive" ideas are destructive of Liberty, because they do not recognize the individual. Individualism is eschewed in favor of the collective.

Anyone who loves liberty will reject progressivism.
Well, gay marriage is a progressive idea and allowing it allows gay people to act according to their own plan and do what's best for them. I could be wrong, the righties mostly all blur together, but aren't you one of the naysayers in those threads?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
The same goes for abortion, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies