Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how long
5 years 15 36.59%
10 years 5 12.20%
20 years 2 4.88%
never......the party will just fade out of existance the same way other political parties in our short history have 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:26 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times

Advertisements

I am surprised the Libertarian Party has not been able to make greater gains while the GOP keeps stumbling on the social issues. It must be a money issue or else they would. I could see the GOP being either extinct or irrelevant in 15-20 years if common sense does not prevail. The Declaration of Independence says "Liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness for all"; even those who don't agree with some or most of the GOP platform (newsflash!).

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-09-2014 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: remove one word.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There are two reasons and two reasons only why Barack Obama is in the White House (twice):
  1. He's black.
  2. Ignorance of who he is.
As America's "first black president," Americans needed to prove they weren't "racist," which was the charge that was made about anyone who was not voting for Obama.

Second of all, they refused to accept that he had, for his entire life, been a radical leftist, mentored by a communist, and sympathetic toward communism, if he didn't fully embrace it. He embraced the ideas of Marxism, and was also a member of the Chicago New Party.

All of these leftist ideologies share much in common, and are virtually indistinguishable. Together, they form much of the basic tenants of modern progressivism. All are anti-liberty, and anti-capitalist.
The best era for capitalism in the last thirty years was during Bill Clinton's presidency. Our economy had unprecedented success during his last six years. Every demographic and income group improved during that time. If there was one failing on his part is that he was a little too influenced by conservatives on social issues. He settled for "Don't ask; don't tell" instead of full equality for gays in the military. He made no serious effort at marriage equality either. Granted, it would have been a bolder move then than now, but was still the right thing to do. He was most successful when he most strongly opposed the GOP. Try again, please.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Not sure they ever can....bc a large part of the right's base votes that way solely based on social views. From a fiscal standpoint, many of them would be more aligned with the left.

I am young (31) and lean right. But some of the social issues are just silly. I don't exactly get thrilled walking down the street and seeing two guys holding hands or that stuff...but what business is it of mine if they are married. And does anyone really think if conservatives are voted into favor, the gay thing will just go away? Truthfully, I wish I could go a day without having the whole gay agenda shoved down everyone's throat, and the best way to do that is just letting them marry. And abortion? It's mostly poor people who have no business having children getting abortions. Do we really need more unwanted babies whose parents have no financial means to support them? Heck, of it were me, I'd give abortions for free from the state. The money we'd save from likely welfare payments would be staggering.
On abortion, you should know that the number of abortions decreases every year. That is because progressives and moderates have been successful in maintaining adequate access to birth control to most women that need it in most areas of the country, despite the right wing's efforts to stop it. Hopefully, you agree that less abortions each year is a good thing. That is because it is legal and safe. Driving it underground to the back alley is irresponsible. There is also less of a stigma about adoption and the credit for that goes to our society as a whole. I say keep doing what works. It would be irresponsible to mess with that success.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I'm a conservative, but I care about abortion a lot. I'm pro life and will never vote for any non pro life candidate, ever. I will never register under any party that supports abortion either.

I don't care about gay marriage too much. I don't supportit , but it's not an issue that I go to the polls about. I want the Government out of marriage completely, Civil Unions for all. Debate over.

I do agree with you though about fiscal matters, economic issues and gun rights, and pro life are the issues that I care about the most.
Well there is a reason Abortion exists and that is to protect a Women's life from a medical standpoint. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was jumping up and down for joy about having a Abortion. Having the ability and the right to have one is what's important.

We could always avoid the "Abortion" issue if men just "wrapped it up" and were responsible when it came to sex.

Civil Unions? Gay people don't want to be "Civil Unionized"! They want to be "married" with all of the traditions that go along with it.

Financial matters? Who really wants to see America broke? Not I! The problem comes where we spend more money than we earn.
We can start with Military bases across the world yet we can't fix a "pothole" in Cleveland or pay for someone's Health Insurance.

End of rant!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
After Hillary Clinton completes her 2nd term as POTUS.

By than, the 19 states blue since 1988, NOVA led blue Va, blue NM, and turned solid blue Fl, will start the Dems past 270 before any POTUS race begins.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
At some point it will be impossible for a candidate with conservative social views to get elected into office in this country. When considering that most young people in this country hold progressive social views regardless of their fiscal views, it's only a matter of time before this happens. How long do you think it will take before we start to see major changes in the republican party regarding social views?
I believe it will be the 2016 elections. If they do, they have a strong chance to win and will probably win. If not they have a 0% chance of winning.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
so you think that the ancient debate between left vs right has been won by the left...?

he who has climbed a tree can still be had at the bottom of it.
prides comes before a fall.

and given how reactionary americans tend to be...all it would take is one happenstance and the gop would be back on top.

hell, one good speech got a black guy for chrissakes. if i had predicted that circa 2000 i would've been laughed at derisively, mostly by you all too. So, it's anyone's game, don't get it twisted.
The debate is never won. Our Constitution is written so that it never will be decided for either side permanently, and that's as it should be. A democracy fails when one side or the other crushes the other, and America was tested in the most severe way by our only civil war and emerged a single nation.

Other democracies have suffered several civil wars. Others succumbed and fell into dictatorships. Others have made mistakes as great as ours and felt apart from them.

Why have we avoided all the worst outcomes? Because we are willing to stay together as a nation, no matter what happens. Our will for union is greater than any political party, ideology, or any passing beliefs of the time.

You're right, Guest… it's always anyone's game. That's the way we work, even though about half of us are always unhappy with the outcome every time. Democracy isn't easy, and it's often not pleasant, but we would have it no other way. We must be the masters, because we are the longest lasting democracy humanity has ever had.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 PM

510 posts, read 430,847 times
Yes because statistics show that only older married people with children hold socially conservative views.

And statistics show that older married people are dying off, which means soon America will be entirely composed of young, unmarried people without children.

Soon everyone in America will be under age 25 and either drunk, high or riddled with STDs, and thus the Democrats will never lose again.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
I don't see how the GOP wins elections w/o social conservatives. If anything that is the bigger more active portion of the party. I seriously doubt the GOP can win elections with just libertarian conservatives and wealthy donors who don't know what a precinct captain is.

The fact is when the GOP wins it isn't because they want to repeal the estate tax.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The {R}s should ditch the Christian right and make them hold their noses on election day, where are they going to go?
The would probably go back to the Democrats which is where they were until the 1960s and 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies