Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how long
5 years 15 36.59%
10 years 5 12.20%
20 years 2 4.88%
never......the party will just fade out of existance the same way other political parties in our short history have 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times

Advertisements

I will never "back off" either, because I am convinced that conservative ideas are not only right, they are the only ideas that are truly liberating. Liberty is precious, defined as the freedom to act according to your own plan, and to do what you think is best for you.

"Progressive" ideas are destructive of Liberty, because they do not recognize the individual. Individualism is eschewed in favor of the collective.

Anyone who loves liberty will reject progressivism.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
i will never "back off" either, because i am convinced that conservative ideas are not only right, they are the only ideas that are truly liberating. Liberty is precious, defined as the freedom to act according to your own plan, and to do what you think is best for you.

"progressive" ideas are destructive of liberty, because they do not recognize the individual. Individualism is eschewed in favor of the collective.

amen !

Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I think the American people have spoken on how they feel about the Republican party! Who is in the White House? "TWICE"?
There are two reasons and two reasons only why Barack Obama is in the White House (twice):
  1. He's black.
  2. Ignorance of who he is.
As America's "first black president," Americans needed to prove they weren't "racist," which was the charge that was made about anyone who was not voting for Obama.

Second of all, they refused to accept that he had, for his entire life, been a radical leftist, mentored by a communist, and sympathetic toward communism, if he didn't fully embrace it. He embraced the ideas of Marxism, and was also a member of the Chicago New Party.

All of these leftist ideologies share much in common, and are virtually indistinguishable. Together, they form much of the basic tenants of modern progressivism. All are anti-liberty, and anti-capitalist.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
At some point it will be impossible for a candidate with conservative social views to get elected into office in this country. When considering that most young people in this country hold progressive social views regardless of their fiscal views, it's only a matter of time before this happens. How long do you think it will take before we start to see major changes in the republican party regarding social views?
When the older generations start dying off, this is happening now. If the party wants to last, they have to lose the 'crazies' from their party; tea partiers, evangelicals, etc. Unfortunately, those groups also grease the palms of the republicans, so they absolutely need to pander to them.
Before anyone attacks me, let me say that I'm disgusted with both sides of the aisle. I'm tired of the manipulation of THE PEOPLE by our government, media, etc. It's all a corrupt game we will never, ever win.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,836,186 times
Not sure they ever can....bc a large part of the right's base votes that way solely based on social views. From a fiscal standpoint, many of them would be more aligned with the left.

I am young (31) and lean right. But some of the social issues are just silly. I don't exactly get thrilled walking down the street and seeing two guys holding hands or that stuff...but what business is it of mine if they are married. And does anyone really think if conservatives are voted into favor, the gay thing will just go away? Truthfully, I wish I could go a day without having the whole gay agenda shoved down everyone's throat, and the best way to do that is just letting them marry. And abortion? It's mostly poor people who have no business having children getting abortions. Do we really need more unwanted babies whose parents have no financial means to support them? Heck, of it were me, I'd give abortions for free from the state. The money we'd save from likely welfare payments would be staggering.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 AM

n/a posts
Quote:
If you are not with us, you're against us! Ooo rah.

Group think for the win!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Not sure they ever can....bc a large part of the right's base votes that way solely based on social views. From a fiscal standpoint, many of them would be more aligned with the left.

I am young (31) and lean right. But some of the social issues are just silly. I don't exactly get thrilled walking down the street and seeing two guys holding hands or that stuff...but what business is it of mine if they are married. And does anyone really think if conservatives are voted into favor, the gay thing will just go away? Truthfully, I wish I could go a day without having the whole gay agenda shoved down everyone's throat, and the best way to do that is just letting them marry. And abortion? It's mostly poor people who have no business having children getting abortions. Do we really need more unwanted babies whose parents have no financial means to support them? Heck, of it were me, I'd give abortions for free from the state. The money we'd save from likely welfare payments would be staggering.
I would love for a {R} nominee that would say "if a bill contains anything to do with abortion or gay rights I will veto it. The issues belong to the states according to the constitution and the SC has ruled on them. If you want to fight abortion and gay marriage do it at the state level or take it to the SC"
The {R}s should ditch the Christian right and make them hold their noses on election day, where are they going to go?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Conservatives have no reason to change their views.
I didn't say they did. It isn't about changing their views but rather simply characterizing those views appropriately, as vacuously self-serving and antisocial, unworthy of consideration by reasonable, conscientious people.

Quote:
Quote:
you were so incensed by having the perspective you prefer utterly decimated by historical fact
What "historical fact," has "decimated" the "perspective [i] prefer?"
How about you read my comment for comprehension instead of reading my comment for incomprehension.

Quote:
I have a firm grip on reality.
Let's just agree to disagree about that and leave it at that. I've outlined the reality; you chose to deny it. That's outlines the situation fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
If you are not with us, you're against us! Ooo rah. Group think for the win!
Inanely jingoistic poppycock is the main mechanism for reactionaries trying to rationalize their corrupted intentions.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Conservatives will "back off" when it is proven irrefutably that there is no harm to society, and it costs society absolutely nothing.

"Most young people?"

Most young people have their heads up their full-point-of-contact. In fact, most people couldn't tell their head from a hole in the ground.

At the end of the day, most morons are still stupid, right?

It doesn't really matter anyway, since social views are cyclical

You speak from arrogance.

That would be part of the having your head up your full-point-of-contact, and not being able to tell your head from a hole in the ground I mentioned earlier.

You're not the first generation to be "progressive" and a critical thinker would now wonder what happened to those other progressive generations, and the societies in which they lived.

Yeah, that would be part of the cyclical thing I mentioned earlier.

The fact that you might consider Generation X and Y to be progressive, is not proof that Generation Z will be progressive, or the Generation following them.

In fact, the odds, according history, shows they will not....people's views -- especially generational views -- are often dictated by circumstances, especially economic and political circumstances.

Not backing off....

Mircea
I'm not a "young person," and I'm not a Democrat.

Also, People with your thought process were the same people that tried to fight the civil rights movement. We all know how that ended. I hate a lot of he changes that have taken place in my lifetime, but allowing everyone to sit at the table is not one of them. What I find absolutely hilarious is that someone like yourself would even have the marbles to bring up words like "freedom" or "liberty." Your views fall more in line with "dictating" and "oppressing." You people are so hypocritical that it's mind numbing. It's as if you never once in your entire life sat down and really thought about any of this stuff. You simply were put on a path that you failed to ever question.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Also, People with your thought process were the same people that tried to fight the civil rights movement. We all know how that ended.
Slavery. Women's suffrage. Voting rights. Equal employment/education/housing opportunity for minorities and women. And so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies