Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how long
5 years 15 36.59%
10 years 5 12.20%
20 years 2 4.88%
never......the party will just fade out of existance the same way other political parties in our short history have 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM

278 posts, read 277,481 times

Advertisements

IMO, Republicans will gain more white voters as the demographics in the USA continue to change

Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
“Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.”
― Winston Churchill
I see this quote a lot so I thought I'd check to see if actually said it...

https://www.winstonchurchill.org/lea...ely-attributed

These quotes make for good story-telling but popular myth has falsely attributed them to Churchill.

"Conservative by the time you're 35"

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." There is no record of anyone hearing Churchill say this. Paul Addison of Edinburgh University makes this comment: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35! And would he have talked so disrespectfully of Clemmie, who is generally thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"

Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,826,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirob View Post
i think the american people have spoken on how they feel about the republican party! Who is in the white house? "twice"?
yes!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:29 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
IMO, Republicans will gain more white voters as the demographics in the USA continue to change
I dont think thats going to happen. Thats going to mean that the Republican party will essentially be the party of white people and it ignores the way the country is becoming more diverse. Obama won with only 39% of the white vote. If you are right thats means we will be looking at more dog whistle politics and subtle racist remarks from Republicans like food stamp President, 47%, Democrat goodies, etc.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Not sure they ever can....bc a large part of the right's base votes that way solely based on social views. From a fiscal standpoint, many of them would be more aligned with the left.
You have that completely backwards. When Conservatives vote, they are concentrating more on what is going to happen to their jobs, their money, the economy. Gays and abortion are secondary concerns.

This is another Conservative who will not back off!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,706 times
Lol such a one sided thread.... Hilarious. It's obvious that the OP was not looking for a serious discussion, so I'm not going to give him one.

I could ask the same question about the Democrats : When are they going to abandon their anti-family ways and get with the rest of society? Or will they justfade away? Lol.

That's something to keep in mind, the Democratic Party has had to reinvent it's self countless times throughout history in order to survive, the core values never stayed the same. The GOPon the oother hand, while it has changed a bit as well, has never had to reinvent it's self and still holds onto it's core principles that were the founding of the party.

Just something to think about....

Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
That just isn't correct. Fiscal republicans, yes. And what the media would have you believe.

But look AT&T he poorest states.....Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tn, West Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky, s. Carolina, all states that heavily lean red. These states would vote democrat if social issues were not involved. They would want gov't hand outs increased, and growth of welfare, etc. but these states vote by their bible beliefs, not their check book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You have that completely backwards. When Conservatives vote, they are concentrating more on what is going to happen to their jobs, their money, the economy. Gays and abortion are secondary concerns.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,706 times
Quote:

I'm a conservative, but I care about abortion a lot. I'm pro life and will never vote for any non pro life candidate, ever. I will never register under any party that supports abortion either.

I don't care about gay marriage too much. I don't supportit , but it's not an issue that I go to the polls about. I want the Government out of marriage completely, Civil Unions for all. Debate over.

I do agree with you though about fiscal matters, economic issues and gun rights, and pro life are the issues that I care about the most.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,574 times
Quote:

Say what?

Republican party = religious white people and Hispanics.
Democratic party = non-religious white people, Hispanics and all other minorities

spin it any way you want, but that's what our 2 party system is these days.
Honesty, Black voters are the only voters that consistently vote on fiscal policy in this country.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM

269 posts, read 256,049 times
10 years at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies