Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how long
5 years 15 36.59%
10 years 5 12.20%
20 years 2 4.88%
never......the party will just fade out of existance the same way other political parties in our short history have 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Quote:
I don't see how the GOP wins elections w/o social conservatives..
They did wonders in 2008 and 2012.
An important point to recall is that even in winning the House of Representatives in 2012, the Republicans did so with fewer votes than were cast for Democratic candidates for the House of Representatives. In other words, the GOP replies on gerrymandering to garner power. It's not illegal, of course, but you'll note that the Republicans aren't necessarily proud of that statistic.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
An important point to recall is that even in winning the House of Representatives in 2012, the Republicans did so with fewer votes than were cast for Democratic candidates for the House of Representatives. In other words, the GOP replies on gerrymandering to garner power. It's not illegal, of course, but you'll note that the Republicans aren't necessarily proud of that statistic.
We have the majority*! YAY!

*Despite the majority voting against us.

Eventually you hit the point at which gerrymandering will not be sufficient. It has its limits. At that point you rapidly start losing races.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Someone has to stand up for the decent folks in America. Conservatives are winning local elections EVERY YEAR. That is where the real power is.
Decent folks like Gingrich who cheated on two sick wives?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
"Vote for us! We will lower your taxes and get the black man out of office!"

I'm still waiting for an explanation on how cut taxes on the rich will help America. Ever since Reagan, all cutting taxes on the rich has done is ths:

Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
At some point it will be impossible for a candidate with conservative social views to get elected into office in this country. When considering that most young people in this country hold progressive social views regardless of their fiscal views, it's only a matter of time before this happens. How long do you think it will take before we start to see major changes in the republican party regarding social views?
Look without the anti-multiculturalism, anti- black people voting, anti-immigrant, anti-gay, anti-choice, pro gun nut agenda, there would be no conservative party. Again, if conservatives just had their crappy economic policies which amount to tax cuts for corporations and rich people, and nothing else to sell, who'd support that but wannabe rich people and rich people?

So THEY NEED the social conservative bs to attract scared older white voters, scared and angry white men in general and the women married to white men cause the economic stuff doesn't really appeal to those voters, but the being anti-all those other groups of Americans, that is gold for conservatives looking to win elections.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:15 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
They did wonders in 2008 and 2012.

Newsflash: This nation is a majority non Social Conservative.
They didn't exactly run champions of social conservatism in 2008, 2012 I mean seriously Mitt Romney, because nothing says social conservative like Massachusetts politician especially one who goes on the record as strongly pro-choice. On the other hand when they ran Bush Jr. they electrified the Christian right and won their only 2 victories since 1988.

The fact is that the GOP needs social conservatives a whole lot more then they need libertarians and big business. You know from my posting history that I am pretty liberal, but I do think that a socially conservative, economically populist message would give the Republicans their best shot. Compassionate conservatism does better then objectivism at the voting booth.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Very soon, assuming they want to win elections

never, now the conservative party is more closely aligned with the left than any actual conservative values. if the went for more straight real conservative values, they would get elected more often.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Newsflash: This nation is a majority non Social Conservative.
Newsflash: This is a federation; not a nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Homosexuality is not an "idea" or "ideology" to be promoted. It is natural. Deal with it.
Would you like to marry my alpaca, before I have it slaughtered to eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I am surprised the Libertarian Party has not been able to make greater gains while the GOP keeps stumbling on the social issues.
Libertarian Party = Fail Party

I have repeatedly said exactly what the Libertarian Party must do in order to make the "greater gains" you can only dream about in your little dreamy dreams.

I've been saying that since I first saw the Big-Eared Galoot himself on Larry King Live.

And what has the Libertarian Party accomplished since then?

Absolutely nothing very slowly.

Does that impress me?

No....it most certainly does not impress me.

That tells me the leadership of the Libertarian Party is stupid, and I have this personal rule about never giving allegiance to anyone who is 5 or more Standard Deviations dumber than I am, and stupid people are dumber than dumb people, idiots, morons and imbeciles.

However, for cash consideration, say $150,000, I'll set up the Libertarian Party real nice with the "greater gains" that you seek taking control of townships, cities, counties and State legislatures. For another $100,000 I'll even help you get Libertarians elected to the federal House and Senate.

Quote:
Also, People with your thought process were the same people that tried to fight the civil rights movement.
Uh-huh.....let's look at some people with my thought process.

We can start with one of my Conservative Heroes.....Charlton Heston.

Where are the Liberals?

It takes a bunch of Conservative Hollywood actors to spit on unions and try to force them to allow Blacks to join unions.

And unions are great.....that's what all the Liberals on this forum say.

Would you like to read Heston's speech made at the August 28, 1963 march on Washington?

Look it up yourself....maybe you'll learn something.

Heston and other Conservatives marched in Selma, too.

Who in the Kennedy Clan were out and about for Civil Rights?

They were too busy getting laid to give a goddam about racial injustice.

Quote:
I hate a lot of he changes that have taken place in my lifetime, but allowing everyone to sit at the table is not one of them.
Then you can thank Conservatives who did what Liberals didn't have the guts to do.

Quote:
What I find absolutely hilarious is that someone like yourself would even have the marbles to bring up words like "freedom" or "liberty."
Well I have lived, worked and played on both sides of The Wall, and aside from having been on 4 of the 7 Continents and being a disabled combat veteran, I do know a few things about freedom and liberty.

Quote:
Your views fall more in line with "dictating" and "oppressing."
No, that was refuted here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Conservatives will "back off" when it is proven irrefutably that there is no harm to society, and it costs society absolutely nothing.
....and you failed to respond.

You have no response, because you know what I say to be true.

Liberals oppress and dictate, causing harm to society and costing society dearly, while contributing nothing.

Why don't you help Obama oppress the Honduran people politically, socially and economically by illegally over-throwing the Honduran government....

.....oh, I'm sorry, my bad...Obama already illegally overthrew the Honduran government in July 2009.

I guess it's a good thing your sense of liberty and freedom applies to everyone...

Mircea

Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Newsflash: This is a federation; not a nation.

Would you like to marry my alpaca, before I have it slaughtered to eat?

Libertarian Party = Fail Party

I have repeatedly said exactly what the Libertarian Party must do in order to make the "greater gains" you can only dream about in your little dreamy dreams.

I've been saying that since I first saw the Big-Eared Galoot himself on Larry King Live.

And what has the Libertarian Party accomplished since then?

Absolutely nothing very slowly.

Does that impress me?

No....it most certainly does not impress me.

That tells me the leadership of the Libertarian Party is stupid, and I have this personal rule about never giving allegiance to anyone who is 5 or more Standard Deviations dumber than I am, and stupid people are dumber than dumb people, idiots, morons and imbeciles.

However, for cash consideration, say $150,000, I'll set up the Libertarian Party real nice with the "greater gains" that you seek taking control of townships, cities, counties and State legislatures. For another $100,000 I'll even help you get Libertarians elected to the federal House and Senate.

Uh-huh.....let's look at some people with my thought process.

We can start with one of my Conservative Heroes.....Charlton Heston.

Where are the Liberals?

It takes a bunch of Conservative Hollywood actors to spit on unions and try to force them to allow Blacks to join unions.

And unions are great.....that's what all the Liberals on this forum say.

Would you like to read Heston's speech made at the August 28, 1963 march on Washington?

Look it up yourself....maybe you'll learn something.

Heston and other Conservatives marched in Selma, too.

Who in the Kennedy Clan were out and about for Civil Rights?

They were too busy getting laid to give a goddam about racial injustice.

Then you can thank Conservatives who did what Liberals didn't have the guts to do.

Well I have lived, worked and played on both sides of The Wall, and aside from having been on 4 of the 7 Continents and being a disabled combat veteran, I do know a few things about freedom and liberty.

No, that was refuted here....

....and you failed to respond.

You have no response, because you know what I say to be true.

Liberals oppress and dictate, causing harm to society and costing society dearly, while contributing nothing.

Why don't you help Obama oppress the Honduran people politically, socially and economically by illegally over-throwing the Honduran government....

.....oh, I'm sorry, my bad...Obama already illegally overthrew the Honduran government in July 2009.

I guess it's a good thing your sense of liberty and freedom applies to everyone...

Mircea
What on earth are you talking about? Are you really trying to say that conservatives led the civil rights movement? Charlton Heston was an educated Hollywood actor the stared in multiple controversial science fiction movies. Most conservatives didn't even like the guy until he was basically retired from acting.

The only thing that conservatives did that liberals didn't have the guts to do was burn black churches, stand in front of schools with pitch forks and appose the civil rights act.

This included both democrat and republican social conservatives of the time

Looney Tunes Theme Music - YouTube

Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Very soon, assuming they want to win elections
I know a lot of fiscally conservative/socially liberal people who wold be republican if they would stay out of people's bedrooms. Instead they are libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies