Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how long
5 years 15 36.59%
10 years 5 12.20%
20 years 2 4.88%
never......the party will just fade out of existance the same way other political parties in our short history have 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:28 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times

Advertisements

At some point it will be impossible for a candidate with conservative social views to get elected into office in this country. When considering that most young people in this country hold progressive social views regardless of their fiscal views, it's only a matter of time before this happens. How long do you think it will take before we start to see major changes in the republican party regarding social views?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Very soon, assuming they want to win elections

Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
They are already slowly beginning to do this (for instance, look at Governor Brewer's veto of that Arizona bill).

That said, I am not sure if the GOP's current economic and/or fiscal policies are particularly appealing to many voters either.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:53 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
It isn't the Republican party I once knew. I wish it was.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
At some point it will be impossible for a candidate with conservative social views to get elected into office in this country. When considering that most young people in this country hold progressive social views regardless of their fiscal views, it's only a matter of time before this happens. How long do you think it will take before we start to see major changes in the republican party regarding social views?
“Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.”
― Winston Churchill

Old 03-09-2014, 12:57 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
“Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.”
― Winston Churchill
Got a hunch the definition of conservatism that Churchill knew isn't that today. At least in the US.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
They are already slowly beginning to do this (for instance, look at Governor Brewer's veto of that Arizona bill).

That said, I am not sure if the GOP's current economic and/or fiscal policies are particularly appealing to many voters either.
Social issues are for dupes on both sides of the aisle. If you care more about nonsensical social issues (guns, CO2, gay marriage, abortion) than the financial well-being of everyone who isn't on the Fortune 500 list, then we are doomed as a nation. The whole climate change debate is a way for the Left to accept austerity. Forget guns, you're not going to win against tanks, gunships, and a highly sophisticated footsoldiers and drones with semi-autos. Gay marriage and abortion are state issues that take up WAY TOO MUCH time on the national stage. These 4 issues are ready-made for the media to talk about instead of talking about political corruption (especially at the local level), and how Wall St. controls our lives.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Can't give it a number, but as soon as they realize that their reactionary social base are not "normal" people and can't hold them anymore.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:46 AM

n/a posts
so you think that the ancient debate between left vs right has been won by the left...?

he who has climbed a tree can still be had at the bottom of it.
prides comes before a fall.

and given how reactionary americans tend to be...all it would take is one happenstance and the gop would be back on top.

hell, one good speech got a black guy for chrissakes. if i had predicted that circa 2000 i would've been laughed at derisively, mostly by you all too. So, it's anyone's game, don't get it twisted.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Social issues are for dupes on both sides of the aisle. If you care more about nonsensical social issues (guns, CO2, gay marriage, abortion) than the financial well-being of everyone who isn't on the Fortune 500 list, then we are doomed as a nation. The whole climate change debate is a way for the Left to accept austerity. Forget guns, you're not going to win against tanks, gunships, and a highly sophisticated footsoldiers and drones with semi-autos. Gay marriage and abortion are state issues that take up WAY TOO MUCH time on the national stage. These 4 issues are ready-made for the media to talk about instead of talking about political corruption (especially at the local level), and how Wall St. controls our lives.
I disagree. If you care more about the financial well being of this country than the environment, then we are doomed as a species. Issues regarding Off shore drilling, nuclear power plants, recycling etc should be no brainier issues in the first world, but unfortunately the bottom line seems to matter more than the future of our planet to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies