Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

well very liberal new mexico..mosytly liberal Nevada,, mostly liberal new jesery ...and what is it about

TAXES, and FEES

dealerships COLLECT EXTRA taxes(on top of sales tax) and fees for the STATE

The last time I bought a vehicle from a dealer, they threw on a "State Mandated Documentation Fee" of $300+.

and don't forget:
•Destination Fee - This is a significant charge which you will have to pay on any new car purchase. It is normally in excess of $600 depending on the vehicle.
•DMV Fees - These charges are necessary to register your vehicle with the DMV. They will be the same for all vehicles and will not be included in the price quote.
•State Sales Tax - This is usually not included in the price quote and will vary by state.....The states that have no sales tax at all on their car sales are among the following: Alaska, Delaware, Montana and New Hampshire
•Dealer-Installed Accessories - These are usually not included in the price quote unless you ask for the price of a specific vehicle rather than a base new car. aka "Dealer Prep" (which includes installing the hubcaps)
•Advertising Fees:
•Guaranteed Auto Protection (GAP) insurance: A must for leased vehicles. It covers the difference between your payments over the life of the lease and the residual value of the vehicle in case it is stolen or totaled in an accident.
•Extended warranty:

some things the dealer will OFFER and can easily ADD to total sale.....might or might not see it from a manufacturer:
•Pinstriping:....
•Rustproofing/undercoating:.....
•VIN etching:.... This is an anti-theft measure in which the vehicle identification number (VIN) is etched into the glass. Some states require that dealers offer it to you,
•Fabric protection:.......
•Paint sealant:.....
•Security/anti-theft system:.....

and if the dealer is the financier : (this is Texas)If you are a dealer who offers consumers contracts to finance sales, you must be licensed(cost) by the Office of the Consumer Credit Commissioner. You must apply for and hold a permit(cost) from the Comptroller’s Office.

Last edited by workingclasshero; 03-12-2014 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
New Jersey has joined Texas and Arizona,Nevada and New Mexico in trying to force Tesla to sell through Car dealerships. All five states will now lose out on the chance of new jobs and a 5 billion dollar factory. Michigan could use it though.
New Jersey To Tesla: You're Outta Here - Forbes
Honestly, I'm not sure that there are states that allow vehicles to be sold other than through dealers. At the least, I'm not aware of any. All part of the big-government "nanny state" concept of "consumer protection". Can you picture the outrage of someone bought their $100,000 Tesla "golf cart" through Amazon, got it home and had a problem with it...and then figured out that there was no one around to service the vehicle or do warranty work for 500 miles? I don't agree with that law BTW, I figure idiots should be able to make their own mistakes and learn from them. But I hardly think it's a Republican vs. Democrat thing. In case no one noticed...NJ is a highly left-leaning state and has voted Democratic for decades. Yes, they finally voted in a R governor when the mess Dems left just got TOO deep, but still, most of the rest of the state legislature, and certainly the federal ones, are heavily Dem.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Another example on how Republicans aren't anymore free market than Democrats and in many ways they are even more restrictive. Whatever happened to supporting free markets?!
People like Christie occupy the mushy, moderate middle, because they are nothing more then liberal, progressive, big government democrats on many issues.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
I wonder how much this franchise model adds to the price of a new car? How much we pay the middle men who practically does nothing except for adding "dealer package" to the price of a new car, dealer package that is pretty much a pin stripe at $500 a pop. That's extortion.
Dealers should be making money on used cars and repairs, both warranty and after warranty.
Do you buy your corn flakes at the Kellogs store or through a middleman? Your television? Etc. Its a pretty common business model.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you buy your corn flakes at the Kellogs store or through a middleman? Your television? Etc. Its a pretty common business model.
exactly

until Tesla has LOCAL dealerships/maintenance shops how are they going to fix """DEALER ONLY""" problems......are you going to have to ship you Tesla car to California or japan just for a repair???

Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM

679 posts, read 615,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
exactly

until Tesla has LOCAL dealerships/maintenance shops how are they going to fix """DEALER ONLY""" problems......are you going to have to ship you Tesla car to California or japan just for a repair???
They do actually have Service Centers at multiple places throughout the country

Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
They do actually have Service Centers at multiple places throughout the country
then there is the answer...to include the two 'service centers' in New Jersey..and the few in Texas...

kind of makes this thread null

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
exactly

I wondered also but if you read their set up they are not selling cars anywhere until they first build a repair facility. Indeed this would concern me if I wanted a vehicle I could take very far but if you understanding the limitations the state shouldn't have any say IMO.

This will cause slow growth but its also not up to the state how fast one builds their business.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM

259 posts, read 151,537 times
It's my business how I buy my cornflakes but there is no law preventing Kellogg's to open a store in my neighborhood, unlike GM or Ford that are explicitly prohibited by law from doing so.
Most people bought Dell computers without stepping a foot in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
It's my business how I buy my cornflakes but there is no law preventing Kellogg's to open a store in my neighborhood, unlike GM or Ford that are explicitly prohibited by law from doing so.
Most people bought Dell computers without stepping a foot in the store.
The reasons for the law in Ford or GM's case have been noted. I will also add that its a huge consumer protection law. If dealers decide to quit servicing these cars because the manufacturer undercuts them they are in a world of hurt.

But your complaint was about middlemen making a profit. As noted that is a very common business model. GM cant afford to open 600 outlets to replace dealers. (Or whatever the number is)l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies