Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
How does this protect a consumer????
This time? I don't see that it does. In the earlier cases I explained that.

Quote:
But why, unlike in case of electronics or food there are laws forcing this model on the market place?

I though you were opposed to regulations and government interference in business so why, all of a sudden, you support this obvious one?

If GM wants to open 600 dealerships let the do it. Why not?

They should be able to but they aren't going to so that being the case the manufacturer shouldn't be allowed to undercut those who have to invest in all of the equipment it takes to service them when they break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The reasons for the law in Ford or GM's case have been noted. I will also add that its a huge consumer protection law. If dealers decide to quit servicing these cars because the manufacturer undercuts them they are in a world of hurt.
Selling and servicing are two entirely different functions.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Selling and servicing are two entirely different functions.
And without the selling end the service end shuts down and consumers are stuck.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Whats not to like? The fact that the government has propped them up with taxpayer money because consumers dont want their product.
Consumers don't want their product? They can't build them fast enough.

A loan, now fully repaid, is the entirety of the government's "propping them up". Chrysler or GM - they're propped up by taxpayer money. AND they're using the law to squeeze Tesla, who's a most unwelcome competitor.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 PM

259 posts, read 151,537 times
Quote:
This time? I don't see that it does. In the earlier cases I explained that.
I don't think I ever saw a cohesive explanation, all I see is protecting the interests of dealers.

Quote:
They should be able to but they aren't going to so that being the case the manufacturer shouldn't be allowed to undercut those who have to invest in all of the equipment it takes to service them when they break.
Nobody is undercutting anybody. People will always have a choice where they want to take their cars for repairs. I don't understand how someone so bent on the conservative agenda of letting the market work things out insists n thef government keeping the manufacturers from selling their products directly to the public through regulations.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
What, the mechanics will just wander off into the distance? The car companies will stop making spare parts? Are there no independent mechanics where you live?

Isn't this the exact sort of thing that the market should be able to sort out? I am quite sure the invisible hand will be able to pick up a wrench if there's a need to be filled.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Why would they be stuck if the manufacturer has to honor the new car warranty and can make money on repair? What kind of silly idea is that?

Quote:

Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM

No, have to help out our friends in car business, mostly republican donors.
Democrats are ENTAGLED in this, too, by the way.

Quote:
What, the mechanics will just wander off into the distance? The car companies will stop making spare parts? Are there no independent mechanics where you live?

Isn't this the exact sort of thing that the market should be able to sort out? I am quite sure the invisible hand will be able to pick up a wrench if there's a need to be filled.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
No, have to help out our friends in car business, mostly republican donors.
Democrats are ENTAGLED in this, too, by the way.
I'll gladly agree that it's not a Dem/Rep issue - but it is the Republicans who claim to be all agog about free markets, no?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM

You didn't realized yet? Only if it is to their benefits. They are hypocrites. Another example, republicans are in general against illegal immigration but ask them if they would support an increase in fines for businesses that hire illegals?

Quote:
I'll gladly agree that it's not a Dem/Rep issue - but it is the Republicans who claim to be all agog about free markets, no?

Last edited by Liberal01; 03-12-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies