Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,415,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Hah! Good one, Erik.
I know.. as fun an entertaining as it is.. I can't join you guys in your made up fantasies of involving government tyranny, secession, and / or armed rebellion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,780,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I know.. as fun an entertaining as it is.. I can't join you guys in your made up fantasies of involving government tyranny, secession, and / or armed rebellion.

You're still young. I was a naïve idealistic liberal too when I was your age. Give it time.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,781,871 times
Quote:

Yea, anyone that lives under a tyrannical government had a population that thought like you.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Well, people aren't rational.

My coworker and his wife make together about $100,000, but he still pays the $9,000 / year PPO plan, rather than the cheaper HDHP (he is too anti-Obamacare to consider anything like it). Guess that is folks? A 9% tax for health care in the form of private health insurance.

The payroll tax will be significantly less than 10%, as Medicare is only 1.45% and covers our sickest demographic. It would probably fall somewhere between 4-8% total to cover everyone.
Go read up on Vermont. They plan this for 2017.
They need $2 billion dollars. And they are still counting on Fed money to help them fund it.
They have not calculated losing any Fed money.

They are eying an 8% increase to FICA for employees and 10% increase to employers.
Plus they will also need an additional tax which they are still not sure of.

But the crystal ball needs to look at the future as well.
New jobs today are in the service sector which typically pays less.
When you have decreasing salaries you would need to raise that FICA amount to be able to still afford it.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,044,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You're still young. I was a naïve idealistic liberal too when I was your age. Give it time.
So was Harrier, which should come as a shock to many grown liberals on this forum.

Harrier once actually voted for a Democrat, and a Green Party candidate.

Then Harrier attained 30 years of age and began to think and vote rationally.

Hence, he is now a Republican.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:35 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! The very same conservatives who were always howling "If these deadbeats can afford cell phones and fancy manicures, they can afford health insurance!!" are now complaining.
What an about-face!
Well, it did come from Obama, so now it's something to whine and complain bitterly about....even though they were saying the same thing just a short time ago.
You don't deserve an opinion, go straiten out things in Canada.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:53 PM

461 posts, read 912,268 times
Quote:
So let's recap.

Your personal observation is more credible than the actual $$$ amounts?

Got it.
Considering I do not, nor have I ever, pretended to know "actual $$$ amounts"? Yes. Personal observation does hold more weight than numbers that can be skewed and inflated.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,771,838 times
Quote:
Private, not-for profit doesn't make sense. What is their incentive?

Unlike the private sector, the government has to serve the best interests of its people. The private sector has no such obligation.
You have no understanding of free market nor to do understand the role of government as it was laid out buy the founding fathers. Is this what they are teaching you keyboard cowboys in junior high these days?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Even worse than Carter.......Mr. Hussein stole the title.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
What part of "based on your income" do you not understand?
You said they were "broke" not me. Don't get upset when you get called on your hyperbole. Either discuss things honestly or not I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies