Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,748,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Scott Brown was in the home of New Hampshire Republican Herb Richardson doing the Republican usual spiel on Obamacare when he found out Obamacare was saving the guy $12,000 a year in health insurance and probably was keeping him from going into bankruptcy. Of course he quickly changed topics after learning it wasn't going anywhere

Brown found that out on Saturday, when he stopped by the home of Herb Richardson, a Republican state representative. Sitting in Richardson's home, Brown called Obamacare a "monstrosity" that members of Congress didn't even bother to read before they passed. At that point, according to the Coos County Democrat, Richardson chimed in to explain that the law had been a "financial lifesaver" for him and his wife. From the the piece (page 14):

Richardson was injured on the job and was forced to live on his workers' comp payments for an extended period of time, which ultimately cost the couple their house on Williams Street. The couple had to pay $1,100 a month if they wanted to maintain their health insurance coverage under the federal COBRA law.
Richardson said he only received some $2,000 a month in workers' comp. payments, however, leaving little for them to live on.
"Thank God for Obamacare!" his wife exclaimed.
Now, thanks to the subsidy for which they qualify, the Richardsons only pay $136 a month for health insurance that covers them both.

Scott Brown Awkwardly Finds Out That Obamacare Is Also Helping Republicans
I'm going to tell your mom to take away your computer.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The media has been reporting Obamacare horror stories for the past 6 months. Many of those stories were later found to be lacking, half truths and embellishments.

When the media attempts to balance the situation with stories of good outcomes, some cry foul. What's up with this?

Anyone can bash anything and politicians certainly do. All politicians seem to agree that healthcare in the US is broken and increasing unaffordable, given premiums increased 100% in the decade before ACA became law.
So, what's the republican alternative? Where's the republican alternative plan? ...Snipped...
Paul Ryan proposed an alternative, but it was shot down.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You must have me confused with someone else. I never said the cost would go down. Now some people have seen their cost go down, but I never predicted that. For example, in NYC a pre ACA health plan would run you about $1000/month, but now that is down to about $400 or so.

Yes really. It sounds more like an incoherent rant.
This is misrepresentation. The President never said that your costs would go down $2500 dollars. What he said was that the growth rate of costs would slow down enough so that over some period of time your costs wouldn't increase by $2500, and now conservatives are running around pretending that words don't have meaning.

This has been fact checked by the way but for a lot of posters reality is irrelevant.

But Obama’s pledge came with a very large asterisk: He was not saying premiums would fall by $2,500, but that health-care costs per person would be that much lower than anticipated. In other words, if overall costs–not just premiums–were expected to rise by $5,000 by 2012, they would only rise by $2,500. Yep, that’s what Obama’s pledge meant, even if he was not especially clear about it and frequently misstated it.

The GOP attack on a dubious Obama health care pledge

Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You must have me confused with someone else. I never said the cost would go down. Now some people have seen their cost go down, but I never predicted that. For example, in NYC a pre ACA health plan would run you about $1000/month, but now that is down to about $400 or so.

Yes really. It sounds more like an incoherent rant.
So when we said costs would go up, and that people wouldnt save $2500 a family, like we were told, we were correct, but its only a rant. Thats pretty dumb

Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is misrepresentation. The President never said that your costs would go down $2500 dollars. What he said was that the growth rate of costs would slow down enough so that over some period of time your costs wouldn't increase by $2500, and now conservatives are running around pretending that words don't have meaning.

This has been fact checked by the way but for a lot of posters reality is irrelevant.

But Obama’s pledge came with a very large asterisk: He was not saying premiums would fall by $2,500, but that health-care costs per person would be that much lower than anticipated. In other words, if overall costs–not just premiums–were expected to rise by $5,000 by 2012, they would only rise by $2,500. Yep, that’s what Obama’s pledge meant, even if he was not especially clear about it and frequently misstated it.

The GOP attack on a dubious Obama health care pledge
He knows that.. he's still trying to attack us posters who were correct, while now moving the goal post into, "some will see their premiums rise", while at the same time saying that when we add more people with lower risk, prices will fall, while ignoring that we arent adding more.

They are trying to have it both ways, and its pretty childish

Old 03-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He knows that.. he's still trying to attack us posters who were correct, while now moving the goal post into, "some will see their premiums rise", while at the same time saying that when we add more people with lower risk, prices will fall, while ignoring that we arent adding more.

They are trying to have it both ways, and its pretty childish
Which he? Me??

Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So when we said costs would go up, and that people wouldnt save $2500 a family, like we were told, we were correct, but its only a rant. Thats pretty dumb
No, the way your sentence was originally worded sounded more like a rant. I had no idea what you were trying to say.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:46 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,330 times
Default Ted Nugent Get $16,000 for doing nothing from Texas city

Longview, Texas has decided to cancel Ted Nugent from its annual Fourth of July Festival. Nugent would have received $32,000 for appearing but apparently Longview decided that Nugent calling the President a sub-mongrel among other things was enough. Previously Nugent in a concert said "Piece Of ****" Obama Should "Suck On My Machine Gun." From a 2007 concert where an assault-rifle-wielding Nugent also referred to then-Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton as "a worthless *****":

I am left to wonder are there any other cities or counties in the south and rural areas willing to cancel Nugent concerts in public arena's at public functions such as fairs. Or will Nugent be a hero in the south? It looks like its a start. There are still some good people who are willing to say a line has been crossed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5009248.html

Old 03-21-2014, 04:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Nugent would have received $32,000.00. Smart. After taxes he would keep $16,000.00 anyway. Why not stay home and collect too.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I am left to wonder are there any other cities or counties in the south and rural areas willing to cancel Nugent concerts in public arena's at public functions such as fairs. Or will Nugent be a hero in the south?

This Town Paid Ted Nugent $16,000 To NOT Appear At A Local Event
What's with all this South crap. Nugent is from Detroit. And he plays northern venues

Ted Nugent's Epic Hatefilled Rant Against Liberals And President Obama: 'An Avowed Racist' | Crooks and Liars

I don't care for Nugent because he baits deer and then shoots them, but I'm not blaming it on the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies