Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Junk plans had ridicously low annual/ lifetime caps. Some also excluded the ER, hospitalization and treatment.
Having said this, I am unaware of any plan with a $500,000 deductible. Hyperbole like this is unnecessary.
Except that it isn't hyperbole. I am having trouble finding the link with the 500,000 deductible for student insurance but here is one citing a $100,000 deductible.

Obamacare Deductibles 26% Higher Make Cheap Rates a Risk - Bloomberg

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Oh where am I lying. The subsidies are saving a lot of people like the OPs Republican state rep money.
The subsidies are coming from others who had their policies increase, despite Obama promising $2500 a year in DROP for each family..

Increasing the cost of insurance for A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J, to pay for K's policy doesnt make it cheaper..

Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Except that it isn't hyperbole. I am having trouble finding the link with the 500,000 deductible for student insurance but here is one citing a $100,000 deductible.

Obamacare Deductibles 26% Higher Make Cheap Rates a Risk - Bloomberg
There were always high deductible policies, they were never meant to be the sole source of health insurance. Do you not understand that?

Policy A, had a cap of $100K
Policy B, doesnt start until $100K is spent..

Together they were more affordable than
policy C which has no lifetime cap, (i.e. Obamacare)..

its no different then medicare, and medicaid working together. I know one person who doesnt meet their medicare eligibility until they spend $2500 a year on insurance, that $2500 a year is picked up by Medicaid.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:

There was no prior out of pocket maximum that is part of the ACA. On the other hand there were much more common lifetime maximums which mean that you were SOL in terms of any insurance if you hit them. Basically it was an insurance company death panel of sorts for disabled people who required long term expensive medical treatment.
Yes there was, it was included in the policy declarations. I know because I had an out of pocket maximum around $3K. I soon will have to pay 3X as much for 2X the deductible level as my policy expires next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I do not support the Obamacare system because it still has private insurance companies involved. IMHO as insurance is a numbers and accounting game I do not see how the private sector executives and owners contribute anything but excess costs to the system. The government is expert at operating a bureaucracy in an efficient manner with far less overhead cost than any private operation. I favor completely government owned and operated health care system that included the hospitals as well as the pharmaceutical industry. But then I am just a Progressive Democrat dreamer.

Like, share the drugs man...

Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The subsidies are coming from others who had their policies increase, despite Obama promising $2500 a year in DROP for each family..

Increasing the cost of insurance for A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J, to pay for K's policy doesnt make it cheaper..
Ok, I don't know if this is obvious or not, but I am not Obama. I never said anything about that. If you are going to call someone a liar make sure you actually have them writing/saying something. Otherwise its called libel or slander.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The government is expert at operating a bureaucracy in an efficient manner with far less overhead cost than any private operation.
Then why does the government contract out so many services to the private sector, everything from health insurance (even medicaid is contracted out), to road building, lawn maintenance, park management, and even a lot fo the military lately..

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
There were always high deductible policies, they were never meant to be the sole source of health insurance. Do you not understand that?

Policy A, had a cap of $100K
Policy B, doesnt start until $100K is spent..

Together they were more affordable than
policy C which has no lifetime cap, (i.e. Obamacare)..

its no different then medicare, and medicaid working together. I know one person who doesnt meet their medicare eligibility until they spend $2500 a year on insurance, that $2500 a year is picked up by Medicaid.
In theory yes, that is how it is supposed to work. In practice, that was not what it was being sold as or used for.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:

Premiums are increasing so that older and sicker people can have lower premiums. The subsidies are being paid for by taxes. Two different concepts...

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
No drugs here. What is the accounting cost for the Food Stamp program compared to a private insurance program. IIRC it is about 3% for the government and 15% for the private operation.

The government contracts out services so politically connected service suppliers can profit from using undocumented immigrants at far lower wages. The Forest Service is notorious for this practice as the Service cannot directly hire Illegals but will not pay the wages required by US citizens. The irony is the contracted fee is higher than paying American citizens to do the work. The contracting, including the famous Blackwater scam of charging the Army 300 grand for a man being paid 100 grand for doing a 30 grand job driving a truck hauling supplies in one of our, also corporately sponsored, colonial wars, is highly profitable scam ripping off the government.

Risk free corporate profit has been the goal of all the privatization efforts over the last few decades.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes there was, it was included in the policy declarations. I know because I had an out of pocket maximum around $3K. I soon will have to pay 3X as much for 2X the deductible level as my policy expires next month.
Only if you had a policy that stated it. In theory you can contract for almost anything, this is America, however, if you get shafted by losing your job, are poor and have to go to the individual marketplace (e.g. our NH rep.) prior to Obamacare you were very screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies