Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's not bad or good, it just is. I responded to someone who said all of the order in the universe is proof of a god. The sun is a great example of chaos.
Actually, it is quite the opposite. In order for the nuclear fusion to occur, there requires a very orderly environment. That's why it's so difficult to achieve controlled fusion. Plus why is "God Created Universe" order, while "Big Bang Theory Only" disorder? Aren't intelligent creatures such as ourselves capable of creating very disorderly systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolution is not a scientific theory.
Yes it most certainly is. It has been even been observed in bacteria. Not to mention the numerous amount of DNA, and other observation evidence supporting it.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Agreed with what nvxplorer said above. I'm a staunch creationist, but I also firmly believe in the big bang and evolution. To me, they are simply the tools that God used in creation. Since nothing can yet prove or disprove what occurred before the big bang, it is therefore currently impossible to say that God was not in fact the creator.

Yes it is.

Concepts like space-time, matter and energy were all created at the same time. Before that there was nothing absolutely nothing. Our best thinking and science strongly suggests the universe is closed in the meaning of that word in mathematics. Therefore, there was no place for a creator in a universe that did not exist and is closed so there is no time before the beginning or a space for the creator to exist in.
Asking questions like what existed before the instant that everything began is nonsensical, just like asking me where is the edge of a sphere or circle which by the way are examples of a closed object mathematically speaking.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Actually, it is quite the opposite. In order for the nuclear fusion to occur, there requires a very orderly environment. That's why it's so difficult to achieve controlled fusion. Plus why is "God Created Universe" order, while "Big Bang Theory Only" disorder? Aren't intelligent creatures such as ourselves capable of creating very disorderly systems?
It's actually very easy to make nuclear fusion happen, throw 2x10^30 kg of hydrogen into empty space. It literally cannot be any easier. The difficulty comes when trying to achieve a reaction here on earth in a way that can be used for energy production because it's so hard to control.

I don't think we're especially capable of creating disorderly systems. If you have a handful of marbles and want to make disorder out of them, what do you do? You don't go and set each marble in a particular place. You throw them on the ground. That's the work of physical forces, not the human brain.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
"Let their be light" does sound like a big bang to me.

BTW, how would you measure time after the big bang, how would a cosmic day be calculated?
So.... the earth was created (complete with oceans) BEFORE the Big Bang? How does that work?

Genesis 1: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Unfortunately, the vast majority of scientists in any biological or Paleologic field completely disagree with you. Evolution is an accepted scientific theory born out by scientific observation, that it logically accounts for all known facts, and is evidenced within genome sequences within our DNA as well as the DNA studied from every known animal.

It's even been observed in a lab setting. A few years ago, they did an experiment with a fast mutating bacteria. They placed it in a low oxygen environment. While it mutated, many strains did die, but one particular strain was able to survive by breathing less oxygen. Eventually, that became the dominant strain.
I can't remember the name of the Scientist who headed the Genome sequencing at Celera Genomics when they were in a race against the government's team to map the human genome.......but after it was finished, he was on record as stating that he believed it impossible for the human genome to be constructed without intelligent design principles in play. Does this mean God, as in the bible, probably not, could be aliens, could be the devil for all I know, but it means one of the world's greatest scientific minds does not believe life form came into existence by total random accident.

I don't go to Sunday school and find the bible to full of unbelievable stories misinterpreted from generation to generation, but I do believe there had to be a conscious "Godly" creature at some point in time for life and the universe to exists as it does.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

actually no it is not a theory anymore, it is a fact.

Like global warming?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Like global warming?
global climate change is a fact, but how we got there is a matter for debate.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
global climate change is a fact, but how we got there is a matter for debate.
That the world and man exists is a fact. How that came to be is a matter for debate.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That the world and man exists is a fact. How that came to be is a matter for debate.
you can debate it, but all the evidence is there for old earth theory and evolution. The last scientific argument for young earth creationism died with the discovery of atomic energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies