Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
What you are correctly on to imho, is essentially the end of demand,...
There will always be demand but with the 3D printer the demand moves to downloads and raw materials. If you need another printer or bigger one you just print it.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Robots will not be able to "do every conceivable job a human can." Will robots be able to preach a sermon? Will robots be able to draw a cartoon? Will robots be able to close a sale?
Of course there will be some jobs but it's very limited, how many preachers do you need? How many car salesman do you need and if no one else has a job who is going to buy the car?

Quote:
Will robots run for political office?
I'm sure they be able to do a better job.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
when they get robots like this down pat lots of jobs will be gone!!!

with a good exoskeleton one guy on a construction site will be able to do the job of ten...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W23ysgWKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This is one of the absolute stupidest posts I have ever heard. The most pathetic attempt at fear mongering I have read and it isn't even politics based.

The day that humans trust machines to cut them open and perform surgeries on them is looooooooong way off. Get YOUR thinking right.
The da vinci robotic surgeon has completed over 1.5 million procedures. Admitedly that is more of a robot assisted surgery however....Millions of people have trusted automated machines to fire lasers into their eyeballs in order to correct their vision.

I for one would have no issues with it at all.

So no...I suspect you are the mistaken one. The best LASIK these days is all automated.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This is one of the absolute stupidest posts I have ever heard. The most pathetic attempt at fear mongering I have read and it isn't even politics based.

The day that humans trust machines to cut them open and perform surgeries on them is looooooooong way off. Get YOUR thinking right.
Call it what you want but I wrote my first program in 1983 so I have a little bit of knowledge on the topic. Robots are being used for surgery and the only thing they lack compared to the surgeon is intelligence, that is going to change in the very near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFR3lOm_xhE

Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
I got bored after I retired from the Federal Govt, so I took a job driving a school bus....and I love it.

While I have no doubt that a computer can be "taught" to drive a bus, I have a very hard time imagining a computer that can keep 60 or 70 middle schoolers under control! Heck, a lot of humans can't do it. We've had new drivers call in on the radio and say, "I'm pulled over at such and such. Somebody come get 'em now, I'm through!".

And how would they keep the kids from hacking into the computer and telling the bus to drive them all to the beach?

Oh well, if self driving school buses come to pass, so be it. I'll just take a one-way fishin' trip. I'm lucky to have acquired enough money to last at least a couple more lifetimes...LOL.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
While I won't disagree with what Gates has said (Watson, robotic surgery), I'm not going to fully agree either.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM

679 posts, read 615,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I got bored after I retired from the Federal Govt, so I took a job driving a school bus....and I love it.

While I have no doubt that a computer can be "taught" to drive a bus, I have a very hard time imagining a computer that can keep 60 or 70 middle schoolers under control! Heck, a lot of humans can't do it. We've had new drivers call in on the radio and say, "I'm pulled over at such and such. Somebody come get 'em now, I'm through!".

And how would they keep the kids from hacking into the computer and telling the bus to drive them all to the beach?

Oh well, if self driving school buses come to pass, so be it. I'll just take a one-way fishin' trip. I'm lucky to have acquired enough money to last at least a couple more lifetimes...LOL.
Yeah, I'd imagine in a situation with a self-driving bus there would have to be a human capable of driving as well in the bus at all times. I know that in the laws that have been written up so far on self-driving vehicles, there always has to be a person capable of driving at all times (meaning everyone can't be drunk). So similarly with buses I'd think there would be a grown up in the bus to fulfill those requirements, but also to be there in case the robot shuts down/the kids get out of hand/someone hacks the robot like you said/etc.

Actually now that I think about it, that may be a preferable situation b/c then you could have an adult that wouldn't have to divide their attention between the kids and driving and could create a much less chaotic environment (in theory).

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Actually...self driving cars will kinda resolve this. I have 2 vehicles. If even one of them was self driving I could simply send it to school to pick up or drop off my kid. And it would then drive to my work, and park nearby. When I was ready to go I click my remote, it drives to the front and picks me up. I don't care where its parked. It drives me home. For those with no cars the school simply calls up a taxi service. I suspect that it will be relatively inexpensive. electric cars with long ranges, and self driving changes everything.

If it remains as buses for kids with parents with no self driving vehicles, expect the bus to become self driving, and you to have a seat facing the little monsters to keep them in line.

Kids can be mean.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
While I won't disagree with what Gates has said (Watson, robotic surgery), I'm not going to fully agree either.
You have to understand the tech behind it. Deep Blue which was the first computer that could beat humans at chess relied on computational power. Chess when it boils down to it is just mathematics and It simply used brute forced to compute every possible scenario to arrive at the right answer.

Watson certainly has a huge amount of processing power but it doesn't use brute force to answer questions. When playing a game like Jeopardy if it had to rely on brute force alone it would never be able to compete against a child of a few years old let alone the best Jeopardy players. Watson "thinks", it also learns from it's mistakes. That's a tremendous leap from crunching numbers.

There is many hurdles to overcome before computers like Watson become common place and that is decades away but make no mistake they will become common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies