Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Romney's effective federal income tax rate was higher than that paid by the middle class.

And I agree, we should have a flat tax. Here's the IRS latest data on what average effective percentage the different income groups pay in federal income tax:

Top 1%: 23.5%

Top 1-5%: 17.7%

Top 5-10%: 12.8%

Top 10-25%: 9.7%

Top 25-50%: 7% (the middle class)

Bottom 50%: 3.13%

Average of all tax-eligible income recipients: 12.54%

Latest IRS Federal Income Tax Data
SOI Tax Stats - Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040) Statistics

Let's go with the national average and have every income receiver pay a 12.54% federal income tax rate.
My solution is better.

Everyone gets a basic income. You enact a flat tax paired with the negative income tax credit. It naturally is progressive. Then, you harmonize consumption taxes on the national level.

Problem solved. Everyone pays taxes.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM

11,783 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Ahahahahahahahahaha …. if I were a bit older, I'd be needing some Depends after reading that one.

Actually that's a fact - before the New Deal created during FDR's presidency - there were no gov't social programs. Churches, communities and charities helped those who were less well off. Due to the Great Depression - these churches and charities could not handle the influx of the new poor and FDR created the new deal.

The problem is it's a me - me society - Democrat and Republican - and due to so many gov't regs these charities spend more money on conforming than they are able to use to help those less fortunate. And to that the heads of these charities scamming more than trickles down to those it was meant for.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Look at the actual average effective federal income tax rates I posted above, and tell me exactly who isn't paying their fair share.
Federal income tax is only one piece of the pie. Look at how it looks after state and local taxes are added in.

We all know the top 0.1% pay far less than the other 0.9% of the top 1% earners.

No need for deception.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
The government docked me for over 25% of my income this year, effective tax rate.

How about you tell Mitt Romney and all the other crooks to pony up and pay the same % as me?

No offense - there are as many in your party that make the same or more and use all those loop holes - why don't you start with our party and get them to ante up. If they did - the Democrats would have something to complain about then. It's not a one sided problem - but Dems can't admit that.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
My solution is better.

Everyone gets a basic income. You enact a flat tax paired with the negative income tax credit. It naturally is progressive. Then, you harmonize consumption taxes on the national level.

That's NOT everyone paying the same rate, which is what you said you wanted :
Quote:
His fair share of taxes is taxing income at the same rate as everyone else.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I think you need to get into reading history, History shows that americans were starving to death, had really bad diets and infant death, and sickness like small pox were more rampid before welfare. Now i challenge you to find a stat today that says people are dying in the US from starving or from diseases such as small pox or measles? You won't find any.

It seems many need a history lesson - Sicknesses like smallpox and measles were rampant because people weren't knowledgeable about the diseases and we didn't have the vaccines and doctors like we do today. Actually, the diets of people before welfare was actually better than that of people today. There weren't processed foods and a McDonald's on every corner. Obesity was not rampant and though my MIL had every conceivable dish that could be made with potatoes and vegetables during the Great Depression - they were eating fresh and healthy food even if they couldn't afford meat.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
I sincerely doubt it. How is big business forcing those who receive public assistance to have a 3 times higher birth rate than those who don't receive public assistance?
Poor people have always had higher birth rates.

Lets.just leave it there before I make you look silly over birth rates again.

Quote:
Look at the actual average effective federal income tax rates I posted above, and tell me exactly who isn't paying their fair share.
Income taxes.... You go where the income is....

Old 04-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
That's NOT everyone paying the same rate, which is what you said you wanted :
Oh but it is. Everyone receives the same basic income, and every dollar is taxed the same. No exceptions.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
My solution is better.

Finally a sensible solution from you and one that I would go for.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
No offense - there are as many in your party that make the same or more and use all those loop holes - why don't you start with our party and get them to ante up. If they did - the Democrats would have something to complain about then. It's not a one sided problem - but Dems can't admit that.
...so this rebuttal assumes I give a rip about partisanship?

None of it is unacceptable. I don't care what letter is next to their name. Income should be taxed the same, regardless of the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies