Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 AM

88,991 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm looking at your chart and since two out of three biggest spenders are pensions and defense if we cut hiring in defense we could cut down on pensions.
That increases unemployment. Results in fewer taxpayers and less tax revenue.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
That is oversimplifying the problem. In a recessed economy, wages fall. Hence:

Look at "welfare spending" and look at SNAP spending. SNAP is the largest welfare program in the country. Roughly 50 million folks receive SNAP benefits, many of whom work low wage jobs. If people were paid something reasonable, taxpayers wouldn't have to pick up the slack.

The catch is, corporate goons get away with paying people diddly and bank the profits (or pay them out to their shareholders).

.....and we wonder why there is no velocity in our economy. *scratches head*
Uninformed people wonder. Informed people know it's because of government manipulating the economy.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM

262 posts, read 155,096 times
Quote:
If you want to consider social security, unemployment, and medicare as "welfare" be my guest (Recipients pay into all three).

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you.

Why are you so angry about Medicaid?

Would you rather all those people (and babies) die?

I would rather they take care of themselves and get off the back of our working Society. "Most" of the people using Medicaid do not need life or death help. It is usually something that should be taken care of at home ... we would be better off making sure these people are educated to how to live a decent life style and take responsibility for themselves. I see so many people traipsing into clinics and emergency rooms that should never be there.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart
But according to historians Steven Mintz and Sara McNeil, the number of cases of starvation in New York City alone had increased from 20 in 1931 to 110 in 1934.

How was the cause of death determined? Were their other mitigating factors?

Sample taken from....? Compared to....?

Tribal lands set their own rules.
Medical technology was also much more primitive back then; the germ theory of disease wasn't fully accepted until after 1920 after all and medicine was still taught via apprenticeship until the mid 1920's.
Couldn't be because even though over 20 percent of the country suffered from malnutrition and in Appalachia it was over 90 percent, FDR thought it was a bright idea to plow under crops and forbid the sale of some food at prices for less than what he thought was "fair". He was scum.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why in the world are you bring morality into a discussion concerning government? It is because stealing for your causes somehow makes it moral?
No because morality was introduced in the reasons for cutting or getting rid of welfare for the poor(we don't/ or why should we, support those who are able body? Or taking things without earning them is stealing) And fine ok, the same equal morality should apply to other handouts to rich cat corporations and big business? As far as im concern they are the most able bodied of us all. But as ive said before the right (im not the left) often has what i call selected morality. Even to the point of ignoring, being in denial or justify handouts to the rich. Im sorry but to me welfare is any money given out by the government that doesn't get services or goods back in return. Both money given to the rich or poor is welfare. Intill the right gets more balanced in there "Welfare Reform" Its bs.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM

@InformedConsent

In response to post #811 *

No stink intended but you out of touch with what is going on. You scream about the poor should work, do this or that. But you fail to realise that you already got what you wantted. Sec 8 Housing has a progressive work base program required for its clients to transition off Sec 8, you have a requirement to be looking for work if you get SNAP now. You have cut all the programs so what more do you want? What you fail to acknowledge is how is every welfare client going to find work if they wantted too? There isn't enough jobs. The unemployment rate is 6.70 percent, thats 21,239,000 citizens out of work.

No my friend i know basic economics and i know what im saying. It you that keeps presenting straw men that has nothing to do with welfare reform. * *

Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh brother, the "theft" argument.

Corporations are the biggest beneficiaries of welfare, from reasons stated by hawaiian by heart. When Walmart fails to provide a livable wage, taxpayers fund government assistance to Walmart employees.
Exactly, but of course it will be poo pooed away by the right because poor people are morally bad thats why they are poor. But the rich are morally superior because they have to be because they are rich.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is the employee's job to live within their means.

Perhaps that is a different job or, an additional job.

At one time in my life I worked three low paying jobs.
Oh bruddah, couldn't you say the same thing to corporations. No you made billions in profit, no we are not going to give you subsidise so you can open at another location. Use part of your profits. Live within your means.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh bruddah, couldn't you say the same thing to corporations. No you made billions in profit, no we are not going to give you subsidise so you can open at another location. Use part of your profits. Live within your means.
You could...but, if your town doesn't want a new store mine will.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 PM

88,991 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
No stink intended but you out of touch with what is going on.
No, I'm very in touch with what's going on.
Quote:
You scream about the poor should work, do this or that. But you fail to realise that you already got what you wantted. Sec 8 Housing has a progressive work base program required for its clients to transition off Sec 8, you have a requirement to be looking for work if you get SNAP now. You have cut all the programs so what more do you want?
Cut the programs? Not. At. All.

Welfare spending jumps 32% during Obama's presidency

You are out of touch. And severely misinformed.
Quote:
No my friend i know basic economics
I'm sorry, but you just don't. You somehow think a 32% increase in welfare spending is a "cut." Just one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies