Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 04:28 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I find it insane that thousands of good dogs are put to death in our country due to lack of available homes for them, but dozens or hundreds of pit bulls are kept way to long in a shelter until they get a new owner.
My heart sinks reading all the vicious pit bull attacks, but one thing lingers in my mind. When someone lives in a neighborhood with pit bulls, be they angelic or evil, why don't the people carry a large pocket knife with them at all times?
When we lived in the OC I never left the house without some sort of self defense weapon every time we took our dogs for a walk. Here in Paradise I haven't seen any pits in our street, but I plan to carry a weapon when we get a new dog, whenever we are out in public. It might be illegal, but I'd rather pay the judge than the undertaker.
Interesting.

I'm not a gun-oriented person at all (although I have shot skeet guns), but a pit bull in my neighborhood would result in me carrying a registered gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 02:53 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,044 times
Our dog was attacked by an off-leash pit bull this weekend while we were out for a walk with our 20 month old daughter. It is just terrifying. Luckily the pit bull went for our dog and not our daughter. It bit my dog three times before the monster's owner could get over to restrain it. I tried to intervene but nothing I did had any effect on the dog. I was EXTREMELY lucky that it didn't escalate to a full-blown mauling. If it went on for any longer than the split seconds that it happened, I'd like to think I would have gouged its eyes out with my keys but now that I've been in that situation I can imagine that I would just end up trying to pull the pit off with no success.

We called the police, who called the health department. When the health department called, they asked "were any humans attacked?" to which we replied "no", and they indicated that nothing would be done. Great.

Oh, and no surprise- the owners were total white trash.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Our dog was attacked by an off-leash pit bull this weekend while we were out for a walk with our 20 month old daughter. It is just terrifying. Luckily the pit bull went for our dog and not our daughter. It bit my dog three times before the monster's owner could get over to restrain it. I tried to intervene but nothing I did had any effect on the dog. I was EXTREMELY lucky that it didn't escalate to a full-blown mauling. If it went on for any longer than the split seconds that it happened, I'd like to think I would have gouged its eyes out with my keys but now that I've been in that situation I can imagine that I would just end up trying to pull the pit off with no success.

We called the police, who called the health department. When the health department called, they asked "were any humans attacked?" to which we replied "no", and they indicated that nothing would be done. Great.

That sucks. Dog fights really are terrifying. Glad you and your dog and child are okay.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So this has me thinking about cause and effect analysis. I have a mutt. She probably has some pit bull in her. As a responsible dog owner, I would never let a fearful or ... clueless child near my dog unattended. I have trained and loved the **** out of my dog. It strikes me unlikely that she would ever bite anyone. She is not big enough to hurt a grown up. And I would never leave her and a child unattended. Regardless of breed.

The other day a friend of mine heard this teeny puppy crying like crazy. She and several other neighbors came out to investigate why the puppy was so clearly in pain. This guy was walking "his" puppy with a shock collar on. He was trying to control the crying that was caused by shock collar pain with more shocks. Poor goddamn dog. She cannot win. There is no way she will learn how to behave. And she will grow up aggressive. And it will be the dog's fault and possible her breed's.
I almost wish shock collars and kennels were never invented.......due to humans being F'n stupid! I hope someone will try to talk with him and let him know there are better training methods.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post

Sorry to hear that. Had that happened to me or my dog, I would be in full-blown revenge mode. I'd do a Mission Impossible-style night raid on that pit while it slept. Im so tired of hearing stories like this.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,783,856 times
I've said before that I have 2 pits mixes ( or so they say because everything with a box head is labeled a pit ) and a terrier who is the vicious one of the bunch when it comes to it's food. I have a mini dob on one side that bites anyone it comes in contact with and a Australian shepard/ lab that attacked a man walking his dogs just last week on the other side of me. The Australian shepard has bitten the mail man, actually knocked down my 6 foot stock aid fence twice and has entered our yard ( my pit sat behind me as she was told and stayed until I knocked the shepard back into his yard and the attack on the man and his two little dogs last week could have ended a lot worse than it did.

TG - neighbors ran to his rescue and even cars passing stopped. The dog was looking to do some serious damage to the little dogs and was as vicious as any dog video I've seen. He finally ran back in his yard when people got between him and the dogs and the owner was able to get away. He probably would have been more of a threat except he broke his teeth and had to have them removed 2 months ago when he picked up a split rail post that his owner has lining the back fence so he can't dig under to get to my dogs.

Despite the fact that the mini dob bites everyone - he's not on anyone's radar as far as the polls go as most people do not go to the ER for a bite from a smaller dog - and your polls would definitely change if all dog bites from all dog breeds were reported.

Golden Retrievers, of which I've had 2, are #3 on Animal Planets list of biters. Many people again don't report their bites as they are seen as loving family pets. Polls are only as good as the information they receive. I remember years ago it was the shepards, dobs and rotts that were being reported as the problem dogs.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:03 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,467 times
Another disgusting attack:

5-Year-Old Boy Days Away From Sixth Birthday Mauled to Death By Two Dogs While at Friend's House

Old 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
And from that Yahoo story: "The same pit bulls were quarantined for 10 days in December of last year after they bit a 9-year-old girl and her mother as the pair walked by the Aloha Street home, police said. The dogs allegedly dug a hole below the fence in place and made puncture wounds in the victims' skin, but the injuries did not meet the criteria under Texas law to deem the dogs dangerous, cops said."

Just ticking time bombs, waiting to go off on somebody, just like the Poodle-munching Pitties I linked to yesterday, which also do not "meet the criteria".

Old 10-22-2015, 07:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I saw this yesterday. Makes me wonder why any person would leave a child alone even if they thought someone else was watching them. In defense of the owner he came home and put the dogs down, this should never have happened.

Dogs have a pack mentality not know to most humans. People need to understand more than one dog you have a pack. Children tend to hover over the top of dogs or squeeze them. For many dogs this is aggression usually used by other dogs to fight, it is an strong instinct in certain dogs.

Prayers to the family........

Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
just for fun, i'll link a college paper i wrote about pit bulls. maybe it'll serve to dispel some of the ridiculous myths i see about them so often.

Statum Naturae: A Dog By Any Other Name––A Treatise of Breed-Specific Legislation and its Failings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies