Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times

Advertisements

I have always had negative opinions concerning Pit Bulls. I've been around and trained working GSD's to very high levels over the last 30 years. A few years back my girlfriend got a Pit and I was around this dog daily for 3 years. He was a friendly, lap dog and never showed any signs of aggression. I was almost a convert---almost. One day she was walking the dog as she always did and it bit someone coming the other direction multiple times. This resulted in a hospitalization and the dog was immediately put down. No doubt there are some good ones but as to me I don't trust them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 03:10 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great Danes I doubt. They're slobberers and lickers. Even German Shephards, unless "working" are normally sweet dogs.

I suspect pit bulls began to be bread more promiscuously for attack purposes from the 1970's on.

but you know.... Great Danes were originally bred to hunt bear and boar.... and in fact, are still used in some locales of the US to help with the feral hog problem.....

and can be highly dog aggressive.... same as Greyhounds are highly small prey aggressive (ie: cats, small dogs, etc.)

Old 11-15-2015, 07:52 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Any dog that is about 30 pounds and up, is capable of seriously maiming/injuring and sometimes killing a human.

If you are not that great of a dog owner and/or you are irresponsible, please, only get a Whimpyhuahua or some other small dog.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Any dog that is about 30 pounds and up, is capable of seriously maiming/injuring and sometimes killing a human.

If you are not that great of a dog owner and/or you are irresponsible, please, only get a Whimpyhuahua or some other small dog.

Lol, hey, wimpyhuahua?

I've never owned one, but have known many, and they're a pretty tenacious breed of dog. I guess they've had to be! Of course, even if they snap, they're not going to do the damage that a large dog is capable of doing. But wimpy, they're not.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:59 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, hey, wimpyhuahua?

I've never owned one, but have known many, and they're a pretty tenacious breed of dog. I guess they've had to be! Of course, even if they snap, they're not going to do the damage that a large dog is capable of doing. But wimpy, they're not.
They attack in PACKS! Girl recovering after being attacked by pack of Chihuahuas - KPTV - FOX 12

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
even tiny dogs need training, discipline and socialization.......

Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great Danes I doubt. They're slobberers and lickers. Even German Shephards, unless "working" are normally sweet dogs.
Quote:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 1974–1975

The first epidemiological study of dog-bite fatalities in the United States was conducted by an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 1977.[4] The study reported that all but one of the cases involved male dogs. The breeds reported in these incidents were St. Bernard, German Shepherd, Dachshund, Basenji, Collie, Husky, and Great Dane. Most incidents involved victims who were smaller or weaker than the dog. Thus, children under 5 years old accounted for the majority of victims. The study concluded that human behavior which the dogs perceived as threatening was the single most important factor contributing to these incidents.
University of Texas Study: 1966–1980

A study[5] conducted at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School identified fatal dog bites during the period 1966–1980. They identified 74 incidents from newspapers and the medical literature. They found that the most (23) fatalities occurred in infants under 1 year old, and in most cases the dog was owned by the victim's family. In only 3 of the incidents was the dog reported to have been provoked by kicking, hitting, or having stones thrown at it. However, several incidents involved a child attempting to pet or hug the dog.[5]
In 6 of the incidents, there was no information available about the breed of dogs involved.
Of the remaining 68 fatalities, many involved large and powerful molosser breeds: eight Saint Bernards, six Bull terriers, six Great Danes, as well as two attacks by Boxers and one by a Rottweiler.
In contrast to the time period covered by the CDC study, which found pit bulls and Rottweilers to be the most commonly involved breed in such attacks during that time period, this study found no fatal pit bull attacks at all in the US during its time period, and only one Rottweiler attack.
Ancient and spitz breeds also committed a significant minority of the attacks. These were mostly sled dog breeds (nine Husky breeds and five were Malamutes), but there was also one Chow Chow and one Basenji.
Herding dogs attacks included (16) was German Shepherd attacks and two collies, although the breed was not specified.
There were multiple retriever attacks, including three Goldens and one Labrador.
The authors found two fatal doberman pinscher attacks, and two attacks by very small breeds: one Dachshund, and one Yorkshire Terrier, which is among the smallest of all dogs.
In ten fatal attacks, the dogs were only described as "mixed breed".[5]
Lickers indeed.

Quote:
I suspect pit bulls began to be bread more promiscuously for attack purposes from the 1970's on.
Well, your on to something. The "pitbull" became a favorite breed associated with dog fighting and gang affiliations thus increasing indiscriminate breeding for aggression and increased numbers of irresponsible owners. Fighting dogs are trained to fight. They are chained, starved, beaten and pumped with steroids. Dogs that aren't aggressive enough are killed, puppies culled. This can be done to any breed its just unfortunate that the "pitbull" has characteristics that can make it a fierce fighting dog. This doesn't mean the breed is inherently aggressive or dangerous any more than a Great Dane is inherently dangerous due to its size.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:20 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Once pits started becoming the "in thing" to have, or the "cool" dog to own, and became more prolific in the trade, is when all the attacks started happening. Theyre clearly a dangerous breed. Some towns have outright banned them because they saw the problem.
No it doesnt reinforce your point. Before the pit became the in dog it was German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chows, Huskys, etc. that were in the media for attacks. You never heard of a pit attack during that period even thought there were APBTs. So if pits are a clearly dangerous breed, German Shepherds, Rotts, Chows, etc. are equally a clearly dangerous breed.

And many towns have overturned there breed bans.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...wvJiOMdOhzVzU-

Old 11-16-2015, 02:35 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Lickers indeed.

Well, your on to something. The "pitbull" became a favorite breed associated with dog fighting and gang affiliations thus increasing indiscriminate breeding for aggression and increased numbers of irresponsible owners. Fighting dogs are trained to fight. They are chained, starved, beaten and pumped with steroids. Dogs that aren't aggressive enough are killed, puppies culled. This can be done to any breed its just unfortunate that the "pitbull" has characteristics that can make it a fierce fighting dog. This doesn't mean the breed is inherently aggressive or dangerous any more than a Great Dane is inherently dangerous due to its size.
I don't know about that. Here's a pittie owner whom I actually, vaguely, know. He's from the third-best (and, at one point, richest) family in his hometown. He's an attorney who married a wealthy lady attorney who, like me, seems to have made her money managing an office full of women (hers doing legal work, mine doing something else...). Currently, now a widower, he's basically the CEO of my old state's Supreme Court: Saunders, Sparks promoted by Court - Mississippi Business Journal A passably classy guy, living in a classy neighborhood, He's hardly the sort who would own/breed/train dogs in an abusive way. Nonetheless, his four precious pitties have just gotten him into a whole heap o' trouble: Jackson Jambalaya: City Council allowed homeowner to keep 4 vicious dogs at home. Guess what they did?

That was an easy guess, wasn't it? At least nobody's child got her eyeball eaten-out of her skull, this time, like when Kentucky Fried Chicken Girl's Paw Paw's pitties broke through the screened door and drug her out into the yard: Family of girl mauled in pit bull attack turns down $30,000 from KFC - CBS News

Old 11-16-2015, 03:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Pit bulls are the ISIS of dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies