Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Here is an update. Perhaps, someone may better identify the breed. There a few pictures of the dog in question in the video.

Girl, 4, killed in pit bull attack in Houma | Local News - Home
Looks like an overbred pit mix. Typical "ego" dog. Bred for bulk rather than temperament. Shady breeders will mix some sort of pit, with other mastiff and bulky breeds to create larger dogs. All dogs, especially family pets, should come from reputable breeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Looks like an overbred pit mix. Typical "ego" dog. Bred for bulk rather than temperament. Shady breeders will mix some sort of pit, with other mastiff and bulky breeds to create larger dogs. All dogs, especially family pets, should come from reputable breeders.
My first impression was a tragedy that could've easily been prevented. My heart goes out to the family.

My 2nd impression was that dog was fat and under-nourished. An ear cropped dog that prob'ly sat in the apt all day and crapped on the floor.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
Those poor dogs are not APBT, not even close.
Which is why I've said over and over - "type".

There are many breeds and mutts that are lumped into the "pit bull" type.

This type of dog is a problem, and my personnel belief is they should be removed from the canine community through non-breeding.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
If you mistreat any dog enough it will respond with aggression. Pit Bulls are mistreated more than any other dog. If you have ever worked in a shelter, you would know how many thousands of pit bulls are beaten, starved, neglected and pretty much treated as garbage. It makes perfect sense that the "type" of dog that is most often documented as showing aggression is on the receiving end of the most abuse.

If you treat a pit bull with love they can be amazing and caring dogs. My dog Ninja (the white one in the dog album of my profile) is the smartest, sweetest, gentlest dog I have ever owned.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
OP, it's ignorant to place the blame on the breed when it's clearly the fault of those inbreeding the dog and the owners that often purchase these dogs not for the love of the breed but to make some kind of statement. Years ago it was Dobies that were the evil dogs, then Chows, then it was the Rottie, now it's become the Pit Bull. Now there is little talk of the past breeds supposedly aggressive nature, but they are the same breed as they have always been. They just get much less press and people only know what they read in the headlines. The Pit Bull is the dominant breed owned by gangster trash and other low life types that buy them simply to look tough and to fight them. These people are the problem in so many ways. You want to feel anger feel it for those kind that are the real scourge of society. If you want to feel sick, read the recent article in the Detroit paper about the number of dead dogs found, 29 or so mostly Pits and Mastiffs, many abused and obviously used in the vile dog fighting business. Are you appalled by that at all? Have any empathy for abused animals at all? Dead Dogs Dumped: What's going on? - WXYZ.com

I've taken in strays and been around shelters for most of my adult life. I was also a cop. I've seen a lot of bad things and place the blame where it belongs on people. Those that haven't that experience basically know nothing at all on the topic but what they are fed through the media. Yet they will rant and spew rubbish like they are an expert especially on the internet. Amazing how that works. I've seen inbreds of all breeds. Nervous and sometimes snappy due to their genetic makeup. I've taken in many like this and with the right handling and understanding they have all made good pets. It's not their fault they are like they are. Would you blame a child that was genetically abnormal for their actions too. This type is prevalent due to disgusting puppy mills, backyard breeders, and the retailers and individuals that continue to purchase animals from places like this. Inbred animals treated with violence and what can one expect back really. I have owned two Pit Bulls and several Pit mixes and none were naturally aggressive. You can make any dog mean, place the blame squarely where it belongs, on the humans not the breed.

Your brief sarcastic title shows you only posted this thread to create drama. Save it for the other forums you frequent.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 PM

834 posts, read 466,835 times
It is the human's fault. No doubt about it.

First, the breeder probably should have euthanized the dog when it was a puppy if it had shown undesirable traits.

Spunkiness, romping, tenacity etc outside the desired standard... All these traits and others when displayed by a pre-weaned animal such as a pit bull, should be acted upon by destroying the animal. Spunkiness, irrascibility, hard-headedness etc. shown by another breed such a toy poodle or other small dog can be tolerated as cute or funny by some people but the 'pitbull' or other gladiatorial breeds should never have puppies showing aggressive or 'perky' traits when they are being weaned or even before if the breeder makes the detection earlier. That is if the goal is to have one of these ego dogs in ones home as a pet.

One might not like it but in earlier times pitbulls and their derivations were bred for fighting. This is why they were even a breed at all. To blame the actions of a combat dog's coming unglued for no 'apparent' reason on the owner for not loving it enough etc. is ludicrous.

I guess now days dog breeding is becoming such big business that breeders show all their puppies, even runts as saleable goods when in actuality probably only about 60% of a litter of puppies in such specialized breeds as pits should be allowed to be sold to customers.

And then their is the customer. Having watched countless videos on the internet about his or her's chosen breed, the customer winds up picking Mr. Perky, or Miss Attitude when purchasing from the breeder. Because most people are not capable of picking the mean or average temperment dog from the litter. In years past if people had runts or freaks they just knocked them in the head and got rid of them but now it is probably illegal in many places and the business is probably just too profitable to cull undesirable dogs even if you could legally destroy your own property.

Personally, to my mind, because of our collective propensity of holding most pets up at the same or higher level than humans, including our children, we will always be reduced to feelings and emotions when a human pet relationship goes south. Instead of good rational decisions based on a well-thought out desirable outcome as to what our dog will be in 5 years when he/she is at their peak.

Spaying or nuetering a pet just to restrain or mitigate undesirable traits is about the stupidest remedy for poor decision making I can think of. Castrating the dog because the breeder and you were igorant of the common-sense rules of picking a puppy is not the answer.

In my home should any pet display a hint of a desire to gain mastery of myself or my family it is out the door! It has challenged you and if it perceives it is now the alpha of the pack you either have to put it down or become subject to its moods. No way! People should realize and try to get a grip on how their pets see them instead of the other way around. Because until we once again start treating them like the animals they are instead of the 'precious' we wish they would be, there will be these sad stories of someone's child or loved one being killed or maimed for life.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,921 times
I guess it's just not PC to say certain breeds of dog are more dangerous even though certain breeds are bred to be killers. I look at the facts and the reality is pit bulls are more dangerous by far than other dogs. Rottweilers are only a very distant second.

I don't understand the appeal of an ugly dog breed that has a tendency to eat babies, myself.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think they are handsome animals, but I don't trust them at all. If that switch flips, they are killing machines.
Any dog can kill.

I was shocked when we first got hounds how much they love to hunt and kill.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:02 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
This particular discussion always devolves into "Pitbulls are dangerous killers" v. "Pitbulls are the most gentle breed ever and we let our dog raise our baby."

Can we not acknowledge some things?

1. All dogs can bite and all dogs are capable of killing something, be it a mouse, a cat or a human.

2. Dogs are known for, and bred to have certain temperaments. There are exceptions to every rule, but some breeds are used for hunting and tracking, some for retrieving, some for police work, some for herding, some for guarding and some as companions to blind and disabled people. Terrier breeds are not used as seeing eye dogs. Beagles are not used to guard sheep.

3. Unfortunately, some dogs have been bred for fighting.

4. Pit bulls have been bred for fighting, among other things. The characteristics that make them good fighters are that they're brave and powerful and have a high prey instinct.

5. Pit bulls have also been bred as "nanny dogs," which indicates that they were intended to protect children. Characteristics that make them good nanny dogs are they are brave, loyal and territorial.

6. If you have a breed of dog that has been bred to fight, and also has been bred to be a nanny, you have a dog that is brave, powerful, loyal, territorial and has a high prey instinct.

If that prey instinct becomes misdirected, you have a brave and powerful dog doing what it has been bred to do, but not on the intended or anticipated adversary.

Pit bulls (or any other breed of dog) are not "good" or "bad." They just are what they are. I don't understand why Pittie lovers can't acknowledge that. Their wonderful characteristics are also what can, under certain circumstances, make them dangerous as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:44 PM

87 posts, read 114,538 times
Just knew the headline of this thread was going to be sarcastic

Pitbulls should not be allowed as domestic pets, PERIOD. Like tigers and alligators, they have it in their genetics to be dangerously aggressive (they were bred to kill and maim, and this genetic predisposition does not simply disappear into thin air), and they have the bodily strength and jaw structures to be able to deliver serious and/or fatal damage when they do attack. Pitbulls have a unique attack style -- when they bite and latch on, they will not let go until either themselves or their victim dies. Other dog breeds have a much less harmful attack style -- they bite and then let go, and are capable of being intimidated into passive submission (unlike Pitbulls that ignore everything like baseball bats and pipes lashed upon them). This is precisely why, although Pitbulls make up a minority of domestic dogs in the USA (~7%), they are responsible for a disproportionate amount of serious maimings and/or fatal attacks on humans and other pet animals (upwards of ~85%). Clearly, this is no accidental coincidence. All *sorts* of people -- from irresponsible, thuggy trash to upstanding, responsible folks -- own a variety of dog breeds, but time and again, it is ONLY Pitbulls which have consistently clocked in a disproportionate share of fatal attacks.

The Pitbull apologists who argue that Pitbull attacks aren't influenced by genetics are clearly, for lack of a better word, stupid. They're willfully ignorant, and likely didn't pass their grade 9 Biology classes.

Seriously -- "prevent the deed; regulate the breed"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies