Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 PM

594 posts, read 346,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
I'm a veteran who was an infantryman for 24 years with multiple deployments. I, nor anybody I know of who served with me, felt that people demanding we come home were actually supporting us. This is an all volunteer force. We raised our hand on our own free will. Demanding troops quit their mission and run home may have worked when we had draftees, but this isn't Vietnam.
You are talking to people who would capture a person who planted a a nuclear bomb to murder millions, and not approve of loud voices and stern looks, just to make themselves feel good.

They would not sleep in a muddy fox hole, sleep deprive themselves, sacrifice their own comfort and risk their lives to defend people. They are fine with the people in the military to living in horrible circumstances to protect the innocent, because it's out of sight, out of mind. But they would not sacrifice their own sensiblilities to protect the innocent.

If they captured a person who did know where an attack would occur that would muder thousands of people. If they asked the person if they denied him sleep for four days, would he reveal the attack to prevent it ocurring, and he said yes, they'd still rather all those thousands die instead, just so they can hold their head up high. It's just that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 PM

28,975 posts, read 30,351,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Someone who actually has been tortured considers Waterboarding torture. Also this report shows it went much further than waterboarding three people.

SO What, if your kid was being held captive, and his head was going to be chopped off if they didn't find him, I bet you'd be up to anything to try and save his life....

They bombed us....do you remember all those bodies jumping out of the Twin Towers...b/c they didn't want to burn to death?????????

Old 12-09-2014, 12:29 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,518,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
SO What, if your kid was being held captive, and his head was going to be chopped off if they didn't find him, I bet you'd be up to anything to try and save his life....

They bombed us....do you remember all those bodies jumping out of the Twin Towers...b/c they didn't want to burn to death?????????

Yes, I live in NY, I worked directly across the street from 7 World Train Center (though this was after 9/11), I remember it quite well.

However, it doesn't give us the right to torture, not to mention it has been shown torture itself doesn't and hasn't worked to produce any information.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM

594 posts, read 346,893 times
Quote:
Someone who actually has been tortured considers Waterboarding torture. Also this report shows it went much further than waterboarding three people.
As I said, people have different views on what is torture, which was why Bush ordered an exhaustive study to define what was, and what was not torture. Even the Geneva Convention did not really define what torture actually was, in any detail.

We needed a standard, even if some agreed and some did not, because we needed to ensure that no one would be inserting their own ideas about what torture was. The Bush study decided that waterboarding was at the very top, and would need to be approved, and needed to pass extremely high hurdles first.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,289,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
You are talking to people who would capture a person who planted a a nuclear bomb to murder millions, and not approve of loud voices and stern looks, just to make themselves feel good.
Congratulations. Two straw men in one sentence. We aren't talking about loud voices and stern looks, we're talking about torture. Why are you babbling about loud voices and stern looks?

Quote:
They would not sleep in a muddy fox hole, sleep deprive themselves, sacrifice their own comfort and risk their lives to defend people. They are fine with the people in the military to living in horrible circumstances to protect the innocent, because it's out of sight, out of mind. But they would not sacrifice their own sensiblilities to protect the innocent.
What a sad story. But honestly, I don't care if you think less of me for not being scared by Republican scum into supporting torture. That my not being scared into supporting torture makes right-wingers cry just tells me I'm in the right.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,853,383 times
Quote:
Yes, I live in NY, I worked directly across the street from 7 World Train Center (though this was after 9/11), I remember it quite well.

However, it doesn't give us the right to torture, not to mention it has been shown torture itself doesn't and hasn't worked to produce any information.
You bet your ass it gives us the right to torture and kill

Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,289,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Maybe. But I'd be aware that I committed a crime. I wouldn't go "But 911! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!" like right-wingers who need to excuse their sadism do.

Quote:
Boo hoo. Would you like a tissue? When you've dried your tears, maybe you can explain how that justifies torture. I understand that you're sad and upset and seeing people tortured makes you feel better, it's just that "making right-wingers feel better" is not a very good reason to torture people. Or do anything else, for that matter.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:44 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,477,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
You bet your ass it gives us the right to torture and kill
Agreed!!!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM

39,327 posts, read 27,709,507 times
Is waterboarding torture? Even those who climbed frog hill don't agree with each other.

Does torture work? Some say yes, some say no.

It is not like the world doesn't know we used waterboarding on prisoners. So releasing this report seems pointless.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM

28,975 posts, read 30,351,004 times
Quote:

who has shown it doesn't work? Because the media said so? I think not....

you are wearing rose colored glasses and life just isn't like that....and never will be.....war especially.

and torture does work if you get the information you need......

it has shown it doesn't work, so who ever said that has stood there each and every time a human being was being tortured....you really need to wake up

so you stood there and watched those poor victims jumping out of the twins and you still don't have a clue....sorry, but when I was younger I felt like you, no more....guess I've seen to much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies