Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Someone tell me why you have to have general anesthesia for a colonoscopy. Why not a local?
To be relaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Someone tell me why you have to have general anesthesia for a colonoscopy. Why not a local?
My guess is the physician expected a more invasive procedure or physician / patient decision based on current and/or previous medical conditions.

Last edited by VLWH; 04-23-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
To be relaxed.
Much like wisdom teeth extraction the docs request patients to undergo it because the medical staff for someone reason feels it's necessary and they get more money for it. However a general anesthesia is often unnecessary and they tend to pair the general with a muscle relaxant. Which leads to a nasty issue if the person either doesn't receive the anesthesia, didn't receive enough or due to the patient's biology the anesthesia wears off. So what occurs with the muscle relaxant is the patient cannot communicate with the staff that they are aware of what is going on.

Imagine someone cutting into you and you being able to feel it. This has happened to people and the doctors refused to believe it had occurred until the patient told the doctors what she or he had heard and seen while supposedly unconscious.

Since I tend to wear off pain medications pretty quickly I request a local. I will never have a general unless absolutely needed and demand they keep an arm unaffected so I can slap one of the doctors if I become aware during the surgery.

Last edited by d from birmingham; 04-23-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
FAIRFAX, Va. (CN) - Doctors mocked an unconscious colonoscopy patient, joking that he has syphilis and talking about firing a gun up his rectum, says a man whose cellphone allegedly captured audio of the entire affair.

Plaintiff D.B. sued Safe Sedation LLC and Safe Sedation Management in Fairfax County Court, alleging defamation and infliction of emotional distress.

Courthouse News Service

We talk all the time in the OR, but NEVER about the patient. I wonder where these guys trained?

That being said (at least in our state), it is illegal to "tape" conversations unless the person recording is a part of the conversation. This is why wire taps are illegal. I do not know Virginia law, but I really wonder how this could be entered as evidence.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
would you want your colon blown up like a balloon, and a camera stuck up there with only a local?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We talk all the time in the OR, but NEVER about the patient. I wonder where these guys trained?

That being said (at least in our state), it is illegal to "tape" conversations unless the person recording is a part of the conversation. This is why wire taps are illegal. I do not know Virginia law, but I really wonder how this could be entered as evidence.
This will be a civil action......not criminal.

More leeway is given when presenting evidence.

This will settle out of court.....most do.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Absolutely disgusting and I hope the guy gets every penny he is suing for.

And how about this?

Quote:
In a final remark caught on tape, Ingham allegedly said she would make a note on
the man's file that he had hemorrhoids even though he didn't.
If the patient's medical records show that this was actually done.....that doctor should lose her medical license for falsifying medical records.

People shouldn't have to worry that they are putting their health, their very lives, into the hands of doctors who have the mentality of school yard bullies.

Not only do I think the doctors should be sued, I think their license to practice medicine should be suspended for a year.

........and during their year off, they should be required to complete some kind of sensitivity training course.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Very hard to believe since all electronics are generally not allowed into the procedure room and all instructions are given to the person who is there to drive the patient home along with all of the patients personal belongings with the exception of their clothing. All jewelry, dentures and electronics are not allowed into the actual procedure room from my experience being there with the patient who was having the procedure done.
I agree. This is a very suspicious article that raised a lot of questions in my mind.
Why was the patient given post-op instructions before the procedure was begun? Post-op instructions are given post-op, after a patient has fully come out of the anesthesia. It makes no sense to give them until then.

I underwent an emergency appendectomy last year. I was on the operating table so fast that they were skinning me out of the clothes I wore into the hospital while they were prepping me, but they were bagged and out of the surgery before I went under. I very seriously doubt they would have been left in the room while the surgery happened, as they were surely germy.

Doctors see patients who get faint at the sight of needles all the time. It's so common I really doubt they would spend any time commenting on it.

This whole thing sounds like it's entirely fictitious to me. I also believe that the 'attorney's mentioned in the article are either fictitious or know nothing at all about the case.

The same is true with the doctors. I'm certain that they either don't exist, or if they do, are not surgeons. Or possibly, not even doctors.

There is a part of folklore studies that are called Belief Tales. These tales are stories that are so outrageous that they MUST be true, because they are all based on some basic fear we all have. We are all afraid of surgery, so I'll bet that if anyone ever tries to track the story down, nothing factual will ever be found. These stories always grow as they go from person to person. Names are added and other details, which, at first hearing makes them seem increasing more authentic.

Some of these stories have circulated by word of mouth for decades or more. These days, the more common name for them is Urban Legends.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree. This is a very suspicious article that raised a lot of questions in my mind.
Why was the patient given post-op instructions before the procedure was begun? Post-op instructions are given post-op, after a patient has fully come out of the anesthesia. It makes no sense to give them until then.

I underwent an emergency appendectomy last year. I was on the operating table so fast that they were skinning me out of the clothes I wore into the hospital while they were prepping me, but they were bagged and out of the surgery before I went under. I very seriously doubt they would have been left in the room while the surgery happened, as they were surely germy.

Doctors see patients who get faint at the sight of needles all the time. It's so common I really doubt they would spend any time commenting on it.

This whole thing sounds like it's entirely fictitious to me. I also believe that the 'attorney's mentioned in the article are either fictitious or know nothing at all about the case.

The same is true with the doctors. I'm certain that they either don't exist, or if they do, are not surgeons. Or possibly, not even doctors.

There is a part of folklore studies that are called Belief Tales. These tales are stories that are so outrageous that they MUST be true, because they are all based on some basic fear we all have. We are all afraid of surgery, so I'll bet that if anyone ever tries to track the story down, nothing factual will ever be found. These stories always grow as they go from person to person. Names are added and other details, which, at first hearing makes them seem increasing more authentic.

Some of these stories have circulated by word of mouth for decades or more. These days, the more common name for them is Urban Legends.
This was a colonoscopy.....not an invasive surgery like an appendectomy that requires a completely sterile environment.

The patient probably put his phone in his pants pocket and his clothes were left in the procedure room.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
What's the big frickin' deal, the guy was unconscious. I have to think that people that spend their days rotorooting people's butts have to find humor where ever they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies