Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...064539618.html

This may just trump Bundy's rant. The owner of the LA Clippers was caught on tape telling his half black/half Mexican girlfriend not to bring other African-Americans to basketball games and that she shouldn't "broadcast that you're associating with black people." The guest he was referring to was Magic Johnson. Is it somewhat hypocritical for this man to obviously hate the people that make him billions?
To people who live in the LA area this will not be big news to them, the man has done and said some very racist things in the past, but he's wealthy, he donates to the right politically correct causes, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,553,371 times
This should be legally interesting if you get emotion out of it. First of all California is a state that has laws against recording someone without their consent. His mistress claims he not only knew about the recording but asked her to do it. Does anyone buy that? Is he really that stupid? I doubt it. Is this tape admissible as evidence? Tmz took a tape and released it knowing it may not have been gained legally. Can they be held legally accountable by Mr. Sterling? Can anyone legally really ever prove it was him on that tape or that it was not artificially changed?

Mr. Sterling did say hurtful racist type statements but not about hiring anyone so what he said is not illegal. He said he didn't want his half black/ half hispanic mistress seen in public with black men although he gave her his permission to sleep with them, if he was really that racist wouldn't he also tell her not to have sex with black men ?That he didn't want her to let them touch her ? Isn't that how most racists feel ? She is currently being sued by his wife as a goldigger for a lot of money and this obviously has something to do with the mysterious leaking of the recording , nobody has explained how it got to tmz since the girlfriend denies releasing it herself.

Will Mr. Sterling sue over the leaked conversation? How big a mess can this become if he does? Will the other owners want to see him ruined over privately made comments probably recorded illegally? Won't they be worried about their own unpopular comments on any subject getting out the same way ?

I think Mr. Sterling's comments were wrong but what is the best way to handle it?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
This should be legally interesting if you get emotion out of it. First of all California is a state that has laws against recording someone without their consent. His mistress claims he not only knew about the recording but asked her to do it. Does anyone buy that? Is he really that stupid? I doubt it. Is this tape admissible as evidence? Tmz took a tape and released it knowing it may not have been gained legally. Can they be held legally accountable by Mr. Sterling? Can anyone legally really ever prove it was him on that tape or that it was not artificially changed?

Mr. Sterling did say hurtful racist type statements but not about hiring anyone so what he said is not illegal. He said he didn't want his half black/ half hispanic mistress seen in public with black men although he gave her his permission to sleep with them, if he was really that racist wouldn't he also tell her not to have sex with black men ?That he didn't want her to let them touch her ? Isn't that how most racists feel ? She is currently being sued by his wife as a goldigger for a lot of money and this obviously has something to do with the mysterious leaking of the recording , nobody has explained how it got to tmz since the girlfriend denies releasing it herself.

Will Mr. Sterling sue over the leaked conversation? How big a mess can this become if he does? Will the other owners want to see him ruined over privately made comments probably recorded illegally? Won't they be worried about their own unpopular comments on any subject getting out the same way ?

I think Mr. Sterling's comments were wrong but what is the best way to handle it?
He should loose his ownership in the team. Simple as that...

Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,037,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Can the NBA force that? I'm not asking a trick question here, I genuinely do not know the answer.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,646,000 times
Quote:
That will take a few years for the NBA to do that.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Can the NBA force that? I'm not asking a trick question here, I genuinely do not know the answer.
No, he did do anything illegal so it hard to do. If he fights it it could be caught up in the legal system and good luck it could take years.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
He might be able to 'pologize his way out of it. His words don't seem to be in synch with his actions. He had done a lot for the AA community in LA, for example. Maybe they will let it go as a senior moment with something short of pressuring him to get out of the league.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,553,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

Yes but I think only if he can't pay his bills so the answer in this case is no. They can suspend him indefinitely though which might make him want to sell.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He might be able to 'pologize his way out of it. His words don't seem to be in synch with his actions. He had done a lot for the AA community in LA, for example. Maybe they will let it go as a senior moment with something short of pressuring him to get out of the league.
Well he is 82 years old so how many years does he have left to live? I am willing to bet he die before he loses his team sadly.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
No, he did do anything illegal so it hard to do. If he fights it it could be caught up in the legal system and good luck it could take years.
He is going to get a suspension like the owner for the Reds. Probably a year or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies