Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If businesses do not like paying more then they could move to other countries and employ people for pennies.
Either way....you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
The idea is not to make people rich. Its people who work for 7.50 an hour and still need government assistance to live, rent, and cloth themselves and family.

Should we restrict birth ability? How big government of you.

The idea is to have people have and earn enough money to survive without big government overhead. How much of food stamp and welfare funding goes to bureaucracy?

But I say, if the minimum wage is raised, we should restrict the eligibility to government programs and reduce assistance.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
just a question. have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment? do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again? or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas? we all know government makes great investments. what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"

hey have you been asleep for the last 6 years??
Obama has been steady at this and how has it worked out so far???

Old 05-16-2014, 04:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The Ant and the Grasshopper - modern version

Old version:
The ant worked hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The grasshopper thought the ant was a fool and laughed and danced and played the summer away.
Come winter, the ant was warm and well fed.
The grasshopper had no food or shelter, so he died out in the cold.
Moral of the story: Be responsible for yourself!

Modern version:
The ant worked hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The grasshopper thought the ant was a fool and laughed and danced and played the summer away.
Come winter, the shivering grasshopper called a press conference and demanded to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others were cold and starving.
CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC showed up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.
America was stunned by the sharp contrast.
How could this be in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper was allowed to suffer so?
Kermit the Frog appeared on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody cried when they sang, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'
Acorn staged a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations filmed the group singing, ‘We shall overcome’.
Jeremiah Wright then had the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.
Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid exclaimed in an interview with Larry King the ant had got rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both called for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.
Finally, the EEOC drafted the Economic Equity and Anti - Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.
The ant was fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home was confiscated by the government Green Czar.
The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ants food while the government house he was in, which just happened to be the ant's old house, crumbled around him because he did not maintain it.
The ant had disappeared in the snow.
The grasshopper was found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, was taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorized the once peaceful neighborhood.

I think you just explained the difference in self-employment, and being employed.

To make this society more fair and equal for everyone, there should be no such thing a employment.
Everyone should be self employed, but FICA won't allow that. Then they would not have the upperhand, when it comes to taxing you, for your productivity.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I think you just explained the difference in self-employment, and being employed.

To make this society more fair and equal for everyone, there should be no such thing a employment.
Everyone should be self employed, but FICA won't allow that. Then they would not have the upperhand, when it comes to taxing you, for your productivity.
Very true.....

The beast would starve.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Very true.....

The beast would starve.

Those that only get W-2's, never ever will face an audit.
They already got it.

Being self-employed, I can show a loss, and not pay any taxes.
Being self-employed, I can be paid in cash, and never report it.
Being self-employed, I can cash a check at your bank, and never have a paper trail.

The thing about being self-employed, when you work, you are held accountable, so your work tends to be above and beyond the employed. Because the self-employed are looking for a job everyday to survive. A bad rep and you starve.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The people buying into this belief constantly amaze me. 6 out of the 10 top richest in the US inherited it. You have this mythical belief that these people are hard workers, and that they deserve their wealth, which has nothing to do with reality.
Even if you're born into money you grow up in the culture of wealth and you learn how to manage money (of course there are exceptions). When you grow up with poor/blue collar roots you learn those habits and most of the time you learn poor money habits. I grew up in a blue collar family and I haven't lived at home in 8 years but I'm still finding my footing money management wise.

I also think it's mythical that all people born into "rich" families (define rich) are all lazy trust fund babies. I don't believe being born wealthy is some disease that robs you of work ethic, nor is being born impoverished some magic spell that blesses you with a great work ethic.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Those that only get W-2's, never ever will face an audit.
They already got it.

Being self-employed, I can show a loss, and not pay any taxes.
Being self-employed, I can be paid in cash, and never report it.
Being self-employed, I can cash a check at your bank, and never have a paper trail.

The thing about being self-employed, when you work, you are held accountable, so your work tends to be above and beyond the employed. Because the self-employed are looking for a job everyday to survive. A bad rep and you starve.
Yep.....and I love it.

One thing.....about checks.....all checks made out to a business HAS to be deposited in a business account.

The government watches for certain markers.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:13 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times
We would live in a successful, safe and progressive country and be more like Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
just a question. have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment? do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again? or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas? we all know government makes great investments. what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"

Old 05-16-2014, 05:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The Ant and the Grasshopper - modern version

Old version:
Come winter, the ant was warm and well fed.
The grasshopper had no food or shelter, so he died out in the cold.
Moral of the story: Be responsible for yourself!

Modern version:
Come winter, the shivering grasshopper called a press conference and demanded to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others were cold and starving.
CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC showed up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.
America was stunned by the sharp contrast.
How could this be in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper was allowed to suffer so?
Kermit the Frog appeared on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody cried when they sang, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'
Acorn staged a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations filmed the group singing, ‘We shall overcome’.
Jeremiah Wright then had the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.
Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid exclaimed in an interview with Larry King the ant had got rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both called for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.
Finally, the EEOC drafted the Economic Equity and Anti - Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.
The ant was fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home was confiscated by the government Green Czar.
The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ants food while the government house he was in, which just happened to be the ant's old house, crumbled around him because he did not maintain it.
The ant had disappeared in the snow.
The grasshopper was found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, was taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorized the once peaceful neighborhood.

This post was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies