Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 11:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They should be able to get back most of their tax money after filing their return....(not FICA).

Plus...other credits....many other credits....and programs.

For parents, yes...for childless adults, not so much. 47% pay no federal income tax, yet a childless full-time minimum wage worker pays over $500/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:25 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
They should be able to get back most of their tax money after filing their return....(not FICA).

Plus...other credits....many other credits....and programs.
Ok how much money before they get kicked into paying federal taxes? So essentially, by fighting for a higher minimum wage the only people that would get a raise is minimum wage workers. The middle class gets screwed in more ways than one.

If the middle class got to keep more of their money via lower taxes, they would have more money to spend. That's good for the economy and jobs.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For parents, yes...for childless adults, not so much. 47% pay no federal income tax, yet a childless full-time minimum wage worker pays over $500/yr.
We have talked about this before......I would love to see how your taxes are done.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
likely what we have seen fro increasing wealth sharing since the mid 60's. But then it would be difference between countries. Much same end as you see in countries now that do it. Less goods available and a elite at top governing .Even china has gone way from controls more and more to provide that second bowl of rice.I forget the number in millions taken of guarantee income I china just the last year given.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
We have talked about this before......I would love to see how your taxes are done.

Most of my income is WAGE income - no way to shelter that from tax unless I could afford to put it into a tax-advantaged retirement plan, which I can't afford.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Most of my income is WAGE income - no way to shelter that from tax unless I could afford to put it into a tax-advantaged retirement plan, which I can't afford.
You are like many middle class W2 income earners. A higher than minimum wage but you don't get any breaks like low income people do. And you don't make enough to invest and shelter like the wealthy do.

Low income people complain, but they don't have a clue. Most people don't realize that it's not only about making a higher income, it's also about knowing how to keep the money you make. It sounds like you at least have some comprehension of that but you are stuck in the middle.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I would love to show you a few things.....you CAN do better.....I was right where you are now.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You are like many middle class W2 income earners. A higher than minimum wage but you don't get any breaks like low income people do. And you don't make enough to invest and shelter like the wealthy do.

Low income people complain, but they don't have a clue. Most people don't realize that it's not only about making a higher income, it's also about knowing how to keep the money you make. It sounds like you at least have some comprehension of that but you are stuck in the middle.
Very true...I took my tax shelters in the hundred dollar range....then in the thousands.....and now in the hundred of thousands.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I would love to show you a few things.....you CAN do better.....I was right where you are now.
I was there too an it's frustrating as hell. It's like you know too much to be fed BS by politicians but it's hard to move up. I don't know if this is your experience but I equated it to being in a manhole. Every time I would reach the top of the ladder and was able to peek out. I was pushed back down. By some of freemkts post it sounds like she has some understanding but is still stuck in the manhole. I kept trying and learning, and got out, I hope she does.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I was there too an it's frustrating as hell. It's like you know too much to be fed BS by politicians but it's hard to move up. I don't know if this is your experience but I equated it to being in a manhole. Every time I would reach the top of the ladder and was able to peek out. I was pushed back down. I kept trying
It was hard.....but, doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies