Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 02:11 PM

66 posts, read 52,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
"People" didn't let it happen. Corporations did it, along with their allies in government.

The story is long and complex, and has been treated in many books.

But in a nutshell, following a long post-WWII boom, corporate profits began to falter. This was back in the 1970s. In response, corporations launched an all-out offensive against labor and the welfare state. Their most important weapon was ideology. They sold millions and millions of people on the idea that labor was bad, regulation was bad, government was bad. Only business was good, and everything ought to be run like a business. The victory of that ideology is why we are rapidly becoming a third world country.
Such is the thinking of the tin-foil hat crowd.

Obama, the biggest force of economic destruction the U.S. has faced, is the one aiming the bow towards wreck and ruin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 02:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You can work most living expenses in there except food.

That is why I use my pets in my advertising.

And never travel without looking at equipment.
Ok, this is where we depart. People, my family, my employees depend on me to make the right choices. I am a firm believer in being ready for anything including hard times. I'm sure my employees appreciated keeping their job while everyone else was losing theirs. And I appreciate good employees so I prefer to keep them during hard times. It works both ways.

I do travel around shows that pertain to my business. As for spending money for equipment, I won't buy what I don't need. I've heard of people doing that at the end of the year but if you don't need it, to do that for a tax deduction is silly.

If this is your idea of taxed on what you keep I understand your point but we differ here, we should not be encouraged to spend every dime we bring in. That kind of thinking is how businesses and people get into financial trouble. Government taxing people on what they keep (as you put it) is not good. Instead, it should be balanced, including encouraging people and business to keep some.

And I know the IRS won't accept my cat, but I get your point. I could only wish I turn more personal into business.

Last edited by petch751; 05-17-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok, this is where we depart. I have a lot of people, my family, my employees dependent on me to make the right choices so I am careful. I am a firm believer in being ready for anything including hard times. I'm sure my employees appreciated keeping their job while everyone else was losing theirs.

I do travel around shows that pertain to my business. As for spending money for equipment, I won't buy what I don't need. I've heard of people doing that at the end of the year but if you don't need it to do that is silly.

If this is your idea of taxed on what you keep I understand your point but we differ here, we should not be encouraged to spend it all. That's how businesses and people get into trouble.

And I know the IRS won't accept my cat, but I get your point.
The lady that did my audit with my dogs in the ad LOVED it.

That was my labs.....they are gone now...

We have four Treeing Walker Coonhounds....bear hunting dog.

I am working on a new ad.

I know if I put a drag with bear sent the hounds will look up the derrick of the rig.

My new ad will have a picture of the hounds and a caption something like...."Don't be HOUNED by the rest......call the best".

Or, "Don't be caught barking up the wrong tree....call E & E".....I am just thinking at this point.

I have until July to decide.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
what do you think would happen if we "redistributed" wealth?

Then we'd have a government condoning theft and the distribution of stolen goods, which is all "redistribution" the leftists demand, really is.

Instead of a government resisting and prosecuting such theft, which is its actual job.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So what kind of investment allows you write-offs dollar for dollar?

There is a small business allowance - Section # I forget but it's well-known - a dollar amount of depreciation you can immediately take each year (instead of using MACRS to depreciate it over its scheduled useful life). That's probably why people buy equipment at the end of the year even if they do not immediately need it (in addition to EOY discounts extended by dealers).

Old 05-17-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The lady that did my audit with my dogs in the ad LOVED it.

That was my labs.....they are gone now...

We have four Treeing Walker Coonhounds....bear hunting dog.

I am working on a new ad.

I know if I put a drag with bear sent the hounds will look up the derrick of the rig.

My new ad will have a picture of the hounds and a caption something like...."Don't be HOUNED by the rest......call the best".

Or, "Don't be caught barking up the wrong tree....call E & E".....I am just thinking at this point.

I have until July to decide.
I'm sorry to hear about your labs :-(

Aside from that and to the rest of your post.... That's an AHA moment.... my cat is so cute <thinking,.. thinking>

Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is a small business allowance - Section # I forget but it's well-known - a dollar amount of depreciation you can immediately take each year (instead of using MACRS to depreciate it over its scheduled useful life). That's probably why people buy equipment at the end of the year even if they do not immediately need it (in addition to EOY discounts extended by dealers).
There is no big advantage to buying at the end of the year.....but, at the end you know how much you need it spend to get your taxable income down.

Edited to ad.....if a business is showing a profit....they file quarterly.....it is a projection of profit.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
The first thing to learn in keeping your own money is.....we are NOT taxed on what we make.

We are taxed on what we KEEP......simple as that.

Which is why I'm looking for one of those "live-work" places I can afford - then I can do my home business AND reduce my taxes at the same time.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Ok Driller, I understand how you were able to legally write off your animals but lets use your dog for example. Exactly what expenses were incurred that you were able to write off? Food, vet,..

Old 05-17-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If I know at the end of the year that I will be needing equipment within a short amount of time but since I as a business person know generally where I stand on taxes I may consider buying that equipment early to take the deduction in the current year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies