Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Then they'll just have to come and get some more from you...
Nope....won't happen....but, just for kicks....how do you see this happing???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I believe that some poor people would do well if they were given money. They are the ones through no fault of their own that have gotten the short end of the economic stick. But there are others that no amount of free money would help. They make poor decisions personally and economically. But do I believe in redistribution of wealth and equality of outcome for all? No. It doesn't work that way.
I somewhat disagree. The poor made bad life long and bad financial decisions. If they were doing fine but fell on hard times they are suffering the consequences of those bad decisions. They failed to understand that the good times won't last forever.

I also think there are a "few" that have learned and if given a chance can turn their lives around. MOST people will remain poor.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Perhaps if government did not regulate housing into unaffordability, we would have avoided this mess. Jack Kemp rised his voice, but most conservatives didn't care as long as their property values kept rising and poorer people couldn't move ibto their neighborhood.
Why should my housing investment be drug down by someone that can't afford a house unless it's the smallest possible unit available.

You're right, it IS poor people I don't want to move in. If they have no money to buy a house above their wage, they won't be able to afford repairs, upkeep, etc. That just drags my investment down.

There are already high density housing options. They're called trailer parks or condos.

I'm so sick of the folks that have caviar taste on a McDonalds budget. You want to live in my neighborhood, then pay the price to move it there. I would love to live in Beverly Hills, but it's above my pay grade. So I live where I can afford. But I certainly would not demand that Beverly Hills be FORCED to allow me to live in a house that goes against their zoning just because I want to. Not how the world works.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,524,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The entire purpose of Obamacare, keep in mind, is to take money from people who have it and give it to people who don't. So they charge huge premiums to "everybody", and then "give subsidies" to people with lower-paying jobs... which accomplishes exactly the "wealth redistribution" you talked about.

"Health care" is just the excuse. Redistribution is the goal.

Mission accomplished.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity . . . . What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving . . . . The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else . . . .. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation . . . .You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

- Adrian Rogers, 1931

Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I somewhat disagree. The poor made bad life long and bad financial decisions. If they were doing fine but fell on hard times they are suffering the consequences of those bad decisions. They failed to understand that the good times won't last forever.

I also think there are a "few" that have learned and if given a chance can turn their lives around. MOST people will remain poor.
Next time volunteer at a foster children function where the state can only afford $100 a year for clothing for there kids. Where they can't even afford the basic opportunities that we demand normal divorcing citizens to be responsible for by law. Then see where they end up.

Your wealth is a morality issue is sick and just part of the problem. JMO

Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
just a question. have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment? do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again? or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas? we all know government makes great investments. what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"
Question: What is an economy?

Answer: The system by which resources are allocated, and used, to the benefit of the society.

Why is income equality desirable?

Because it fosters a healthier and more robust economy.

What is a the main problem with capitalist economies? The tendency they have of concentrating wealth in the hands of the few. Why do you think we have laws against monopolies? The government's interest is in fostering the healthiest and most robust economy possible.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM

89,055 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Next time volunteer at a foster children function where the state can only afford $100 a year for clothing for there kids. Where they can't even afford the basic opportunities that we demand normal divorcing citizens to be responsible for by law. Then see where they end up.
Foster care? Where are the parents? Those children are their parents' responsibility, not the responsibility of some working adult stranger who lives 2,000 miles away.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
just a question. have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment? do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again? or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas? we all know government makes great investments. what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"
You've asked an utterly meaningless question.

All government activity, of all types, redistributes wealth. Government levies taxes, and tax money is then used to fund various projects. That is, by definition, wealth redistribution. Building and maintaining roads requires wealth redistribution. Sending inspectors into poultry plants to verify proper sanitation practices are being used requires wealth redistribution. Stationing thousands of troops are military bases all across the globe requires wealth redistribution.

I think what you mean to say is that wealth should not be redistributed to poor people, because they are likely to misuse it. Well, what did the wealthy, highly educated folks who work in the financial sector do with their billions? They crashed the economy. They annihilated trillions of dollars worth of middle-class wealth (in the form of home equity) overnight. They wiped out millions of middle-income jobs, most of which are probably gone for good. So please, tell me more about how the poor mishandle money...

Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Wow, talk about a Scarcity mentality. See what fear and greed will get you? We have enough resources in this world where no one needs to go hungry etc. Redistribution of income isn't paying employees a living wage. Further in my opinion a Redistribution of wealth has already happened from the middleclass and the poor to the wealthist. When the top 300 riches people in this country own Half the wealth of this 317,297,938 million population country of ours, then you have to ask where the wealth came from, and why is it that 80% of the population is fighting over the last 20% or less of the wealth.

This is why i believe this whole fear about the poor is crazy.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Foster care? Where are the parents? Those children are their parents' responsibility, not the responsibility of some working adult stranger who lives 2,000 miles away.
Omg you act like your supporting every deadbeat child or person in this country. Tell you what. Your next pay day, when you look at your income taxes. Tell me how much was taken out to support that orphan 2000 miles away? Or the bum on foodstamps who doesn't want to work but buys a lotto ticket? Im curious to see what this burdensome responsibility is? Maybe i can help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies