Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is true. But that does not mean there are no officially sanctioned atrocities in Muslim countries.

But the thread topic is

Liberals Keep Saying Muslims Are A Peaceful People---Really

That is gross generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Name one "Christian country"

(Hint: The United States, Canada, Australia, the UK... they aren't "Christian countries.")
Christianity is the official religion in UK. In case of US, Canada and Australia, they are Christian countries simply because of majority of the population identifies with Christianity. In US every single State Constitution mention God.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:10 PM

25,765 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
But the thread topic is

Liberals Keep Saying Muslims Are A Peaceful People---Really

That is gross generalization.
But if you read the content below the heading, which yes, is a generalization, you'll see a specific example of officially sanctioned violence (stoning a woman to death for marrying outside her religion).

Ignoring that such instances are problematic and that they occur far too often in that religion (in its official capacity) is just as bad as generalizing and saying all Muslims are monsters.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But if you read the content below the heading, which yes, is a generalization, you'll see a specific example of officially sanctioned violence (stoning a woman to death for marrying outside her religion).

Ignoring that such instances are problematic and that they occur far too often in that religion (in its official capacity) is just as bad as generalizing and saying all Muslims are monsters.
I understand what you are saying.

However, even in Muslim-majority countries that embrace consensual government there are not the same freedoms of the press, speech, and ethnic and sexual minority rights as seen in the West.

Plus, SOME Muslim countries have wackjob leaders.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:35 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Even if ALL Sudan Muslims are violent (Which I really doubt)

STILL Doesn't mean ALL Muslim in the WORLD are violent.

Why do you have to generalize these people?!
He isn't. He's whining about liberals, the way he always whines about liberals. This thread is not "Muslims claim they are a peaceful people", it's "LIBERALS KEEP SAYING Muslims are a peaceful people". This is a "Liberals make me sad" thread. All his threads are "Liberals make me sad" threads.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
What the hell does this have to do with killing Christians????
It's called "deflection". An overused strategy on the www.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
He isn't. He's whining about liberals, the way he always whines about liberals. This thread is not "Muslims claim they are a peaceful people", it's "LIBERALS KEEP SAYING Muslims are a peaceful people". This is a "Liberals make me sad" thread. All his threads are "Liberals make me sad" threads.
Yeah sad. I am not a liberal lol But this kind of thread really is giving us non-liberals a bad name.

Remind me of a video that I watched a long time ago. Rush Limbaugh called NAZI by a formal Marine republican caller because Limbaugh supported torture.

Rush Limbaugh called NAZI by an ex-marine republican caller - YouTube

If you ask ANY combat veterans, they will tell you that they really needed to rely on a lot of Muslims soldiers and civilians to get things done. Not everybody living in Muslim countries is violent at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Christianity is the official religion in UK. In case of US, Canada and Australia, they are Christian countries simply because of majority of the population identifies with Christianity. In US every single State Constitution mention God.
Canada is rapidly becoming a post-Christian nation.
Only 20% believe in an afterlife, heaven or hell. The afterlife is the touchstone of most religions.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
It has nothing to do with faith. It's more about their culture and the region of of the world that these people live in or come from. Most Colombian drug lords, Mexican cartel members and Russian mobsters are Christians, so does that mean all Christians are involved in organized crime?

If you need to have a team, so you can know exactly who the good guys are, than I suggest watching pro sports.
I understand your point, but what to me makes it different is what drives the brutal actions. The Columbian drug loards in your scenario may indeed be christians, but when they are committing their attrocities they aren't proclaiming their faith or yelling "Allahu Akbar" or "Jesus is wonderful", or "God is great" etc... They are just brutal people doing brutal things to others in the name of making stacks of cash. Their religion seems irrelevant to their actions, or at least it's not front and center and they are not talking about it before, during and after they have committed their violent acts.

However, all to many times when you see Muslims committing these attrocities, they are indeed verbally, before, during and after proclaiming their religious devotion to allah and their faith. It's hard to not connect the dots when they are screaming their devotion to allah while they are chopping someones head off.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I understand your point, but what to me makes it different is what drives the brutal actions. The Columbian drug loards in your scenario may indeed be christians, but when they are committing their attrocities they aren't proclaiming their faith or yelling "Allahu Akbar" or "Jesus is wonderful", or "God is great" etc... They are just brutal people doing brutal things to others in the name of making stacks of cash. Their religion seems irrelevant to their actions, or at least it's not front and center and they are not talking about it before, during and after they have committed their violent acts.

However, all to many times when you see Muslims committing these attrocities, they are indeed verbally, before, during and after proclaiming their religious devotion to allah and their faith. It's hard to not connect the dots when they are screaming their devotion to allah while they are chopping someones head off.
Peaceful Muslims or any other religion don't get much press when they are peaceful.

The masses love to see gore and dying. The press loves it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies