Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,972,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Miami (only recently with a republican Mayor)
Phoenix
Oklahoma City
Forth Worth
Salt Lake City
Wichita
Lincoln
Boise
Santa Ana (pretty much all of Orange County, pop. 3.1 million)

None of which appear in the Top 10.

Also note that Giuliani was Republican (New York City) and presided over one of the biggest drops in overall crime by any major city in the U.S until he left office in 2001.
Metropolitan Miami-Dade County leans Democrat and votes for the Democratic presidential candidate in recent elections, as does nearby Broward and Palm Beach counties.

I don't consider any of those others MAJOR cities, with the only exception being Phoenix which does indeed have a crime problem. Boise? Seriously? With 200,000 people? In the list of US cities by population what does it come in at? 98th Place???

Philadelphia, a staunchly Democratic city, has had the biggest drop in crime 40 years ... more impressive than NYC under Giuliani (a very moderate Republican working with a City Council of nearly all Democrats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Portland - 6.3 percent black
Detroit - 84.3 percent

Seattle - 8.4 percent black
Baltimore - 64.3 percent

Oakland - black as black - I want my baby back

Examples of "not in my backyard" primarily white - when it comes to liberal cities like Seattle and Portland.
They simply do not have enough minorities to change their crime demographic.

Crime will always be higher where there is a high black density because blacks have a higher
unemployment/poverty factor and drugs and crime follow suit. Same can be said with cities with
high density Hispanics.
And why do black communities have a higher unemployment, poverty factor, and drug use? Figure those issues out and you start to get closer to the reason why places with a higher black population have a higher crime rate. Unless it is easier for you to just blame it on race and call it a day.

Also, nothing is preventing Black Americans from moving to Portland and Seattle. There has just never been a high percentage of Black Americans in those cities.

Also, high density Hispanics do not mean crime is going to be higher.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,473,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Since crime stats have been recorded, Blacks have always had a higher crime rate than Whites or any other race or ethnicity. Factors such as fatherless households contribute to the problem, but no one is to blame for that issue besides Blacks themselves. They are responsible for their own poor behavior.
They are responsible for being human. Any other race of people in the same circumstances would have the same outcome. It isn't the race that is the problem, it's the culture. The culture does not stigmatize getting pregnant without any means of supporting the child, the culture where parents do not take an active role in their children's education, the culture which does not place a high value on having a good worth ethic, the culture which finds it acceptable to blame its problems on past injustices instead of working towards a better future, etc. Any group of people which pretty much went straight from harsh oppression to entitled victim status with less than a generation in between would probably develop the same problems. Now any single individual must be held responsible for his or her own actions or society wouldn't be able to function. However, at the community level we should be doing things to help the situation rather than just writing them off.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And why do black communities have a higher unemployment, poverty factor, and drug use? Figure those issues out and you start to get closer to the reason why places with a higher black population have a higher crime rate. Unless it is easier for you to just blame it on race and call it a day.

Also, nothing is preventing Black Americans from moving to Portland and Seattle. There has just never been a high percentage of Black Americans in those cities.

Also, high density Hispanics do not mean crime is going to be higher.
I don't have to figure that out - those communities do....

But let me take a stab at it

Lack of nuclear family or family planning means lack of discipline. Lack of discipline usually leads
to lack of motivation. Lack of motivation usually leads to not wanting to work. Not wanting to work
usually leads to just hanging around. Hanging around usually leads to just partying and having sex.
Having sex usually leads to a baby and then you have
Lack of nuclear family or family planning means ....quite the circle of life.

High Hispanic population cities definitely have higher crime rates - look at the stats.

As far as why blacks don't move to Portland or Seattle, ask them. I wouldn't live there because it
rains and is dismal too much of the time, and you can't swim in their ocean,
and it is so far away

You know, it may be cool to be colorblind, but it definitely is not realistic.
Just look at the housing market...

Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:

Lack of nuclear family or family planning means lack of discipline. Lack of discipline usually leads
to lack of motivation. Lack of motivation usually leads to not wanting to work. Not wanting to work
usually leads to just hanging around. Hanging around usually leads to just partying and having sex.

High Hispanic population cities definitely have higher crime rates - look at the stats.

As far as why blacks don't move to Portland or Seattle, ask them. I wouldn't live there because it
and it is so far away

Well you really didn't do much with "taking a stab at it." But thanks for trying. If you are capable of judging others by the color of their skin, then you are obviously better at it than me. I have been in very safe Hispanic neighborhoods, and have been in safe Black American neighborhoods, but then again I don't assume everyone who isn't white is somehow a criminal that could harm me.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times
Quote:

and it is so far away

The safest city in the country (El Paso) is over 80% Hispanic. In fact, quite a few of the safest cities have very sizable Hispanic populations.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well you really didn't do much with "taking a stab at it." But thanks for trying. If you are capable of judging others by the color of their skin, then you are obviously better at it than me. I have been in very safe Hispanic neighborhoods, and have been in safe Black American neighborhoods, but then again I don't assume everyone who isn't white is somehow a criminal that could harm me.
Oh please. I'm just giving you the reality of inner city life...

Let's get together and have coffee on the south side of Chitown around 11 PM

Denying these cities have a problem is part of the problem. Glad to hear you are trying to be part of
the solution, as is so many others...

Four Chicago Neighborhoods Named on List of 25 Most Dangerous

"Carlos Nelson, executive director of the Greater Auburn-Gresham Development Corporation (GADC), will not let the potential for violence put fear in him. "Because of my love for this community, when I went away to college in Nashville, Tennessee, I was determined to have my first home here in Auburn Gresham," he told YoChicago. "I could have bought anywhere, but I really wanted to stay close to my family ... I knew that I wanted to be back here, home, near 79th Street, near my grandfather, near the rest of my family, and I wanted to make the difference."

Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The safest city in the country (El Paso) is over 80% Hispanic. In fact, quite a few of the safest cities have very sizable Hispanic populations.
That's because it is a border town and has added security and uses those stats.
Ask anyone in Las Cruces NM if they want the SAME KIND of crime El Paso has?

El Paso

Last edited by pollyrobin; 06-02-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 06:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times
Quote:
That's because it is a border town and has added security and uses those stats.
Ask anyone in Las Cruces NM if they want the SAME KIND of crime El Paso has?

El Paso

I think you're just afraid of brown people.

Top ten safest cities:

City, % Hispanic

El Paso, TX - 80%
San Diego, CA - 33%
NYC, NY - 29%
Austin, TX - 35.1%
San Jose, CA - 33%
Los Angeles, CA - 48.5%
Charlotte, NC - 35% Black & 13% Hispanic
Seattle, WA - 6%
San Antonio, TX - 63.2%

Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM

30,580 posts, read 19,310,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

I think you're just afraid of brown people.

Top ten safest cities:

City, % Hispanic

El Paso, TX - 80%
San Diego, CA - 33%
NYC, NY - 29%
Austin, TX - 35.1%
San Jose, CA - 33%
Los Angeles, CA - 48.5%
Charlotte, NC - 35% Black & 13% Hispanic
Seattle, WA - 6%
San Antonio, TX - 63.2%
Yeah I don't think any correlation can be made that a high Hispanic population equals high crime in the USA. However, a high black population results in high crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies