Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is something alot of people overlook, many Hispanics in Rangel's district are likely either illegal immigrants or only have legal residency status. Furthermore, US citizen Hispanics tend to have abysmally low election turnouts and even lower voter registration figures.

??? That part of NYC has long - at least since the '60s - had a substantial presence of legal Hispanic immigrants, such as Dominicans, other Central Americans, and Puerto Ricans who are citizens at birth in PR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What difference would it make if blacks are underserved by these people anyway?

Surely you don't think these people are doing a good job, do you?

BTW...do you hope this happens to white "leaders" too, seeing as how white people are primarily responsible for the illegal immigration situation to begin with. After all, You don't think black folks own all of those meatpacking, textile, and other heavy industrial plants, do you?
I don't really blame him for thinking that way. A lot of people are tired of unrestricted immigration and how everyone is expected to tow the party line (both Democrat and Republican) that immigration is always good and that America should allow as many immigrants as possible. It is really annoying that criticism of mass immigration is ignored and everyone is expected to believe out of control population growth in the USA is a good thing despite how awful the economy is and how it is incapable of producing jobs to keep up with the population growth.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't really blame him for thinking that way. A lot of people are tired of unrestricted immigration and how everyone is expected to tow the party line (both Democrat and Republican) that immigration is always good and that America should allow as many immigrants as possible. It is really annoying that criticism of mass immigration is ignored and everyone is expected to believe out of control population growth in the USA is a good thing despite how awful the economy is and how it is incapable of producing jobs to keep up with the population growth.
I get it too, but i reject this notion that because blacks aren't vociferous in their dislike of illegal immigration, that it's somehow our fault that these illegals are here in the first place when we aren't responsible AT ALL for them being here and have never benefited from the cheap labor....at least not directly.

That's been a theme of more than a few threads around here.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is something alot of people overlook, many Hispanics in Rangel's district are likely either illegal immigrants or only have legal residency status. Furthermore, US citizen Hispanics tend to have abysmally low election turnouts and even lower voter registration figures.

The low turnout and low registration I would tend to agree with. However, most of the Hispanic areas of the district (Puerto Ricans in East Harlem, Dominicans in Washington Heights and Inwood, bit of both in the western Bronx) are legal residents and citizens, many of which were born in the U.S, here for decades or in the case of Puerto Ricans, the ones not born here were citizens at birth.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The low turnout and low registration I would tend to agree with. However, most of the Hispanic areas of the district (Puerto Ricans in East Harlem, Dominicans in Washington Heights and Inwood, bit of both in the western Bronx) are legal residents and citizens, many of which were born in the U.S, here for decades or in the case of Puerto Ricans, the ones not born here were citizens at birth.
That is true, however mainland Puerto Ricans have abysmal voter turnout rates.

Puerto Rico voter turnout: Why is it so high?
Interesting article about this matter.

It's confusing because both major island parties are associated with a national political party (PPD = entirely Democrats, NPP = mostly Republicans with a handful of Democrats) and they don't exactly shy away from advertising it. Puerto Ricans are most certainly aware of national politics and the national parties. Before 1968 the NPP was the local Republican Party.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I get it too, but i reject this notion that because blacks aren't vociferous in their dislike of illegal immigration, that it's somehow our fault that these illegals are here in the first place when we aren't responsible AT ALL for them being here and have never benefited from the cheap labor....at least not directly.

That's been a theme of more than a few threads around here.
I agree with you too. Illegal immigration is honestly the last thing that should be on most Blacks' minds because they have far more pressing issues at hand.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Why is it that the majority of blacks will not take a stand against illegal immigration when the loss of jobs probably affects them at least as much or more than whites? So no, whites can't fight illegal immigration all on their own. If blacks would join together with them on this issue it would be a dead issue. So blaming only whites for this problem is ludicrous. The skin color of our politicians has nothing to do with it. They are all humans period and obligated to respect and enforce our immigration laws but most of them don't. At least we have some white politicians that are opposed to this madness but I can't think of one minority politician who seems to be.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is it that the majority of blacks will not take a stand against illegal immigration when the loss of jobs probably affects them at least as much or more than whites? So no, whites can't fight illegal immigration all on their own. If blacks would join together with them on this issue it would be a dead issue. So blaming only whites for this problem is ludicrous. The skin color of our politicians has nothing to do with it. They are all humans period and obligated to respect and enforce our immigration laws but most of them don't. At least we have some white politicians that are opposed to this madness but I can't think of one minority politician who seems to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I agree with you too. Illegal immigration is honestly the last thing that should be on most Blacks' minds because they have far more pressing issues at hand.
Pretty much sums it up for me.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
lol. but he is also Hispanic! he might want to play that up a bit.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
why do you want "democrats" to be careful what they wish for? the color of the party that holds the seat won't change from blue to red. what are you really getting at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies