Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Rangel is using the lowest common denominator to win, he is now claiming he has some Puerto Rican blood. LMAO, like that should be a big factor. Of course when dealing with the ignorant unwashed masses who could blame him for trying. I just love this line :

“For the nation, these next two years are going to make history,” Rangel told the packed room at his birthday gathering. “These next two years are not the years for someone who just has pride and ambition, it’s for someone . . . who has the experience to guide the ship into the dark for the next two years.”

Why would a sane person with slight morals want Rangel guiding any ship. And what does Rangel mean to guide a ship in the dark? In reality this establishment douche will win the election after all he has some Puerto Rican blood
did you even research this before you scoffed at his claim? he doesn't have "some" pr ancestry. his father was Puerto rican. I thought that was common knowledge. he has a Spanish last name. where I grew up people pronounce his last name ran-gahl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
lol. but he is also Hispanic! he might want to play that up a bit.
Rangel did. He made sure he emphasized his Puerto Rican roots out there on the campaign trail. I know a lot of Black Latinos (and those who are half AA, half Latino like myself) who sort of emphasize one part or the other depending on the situation. It's human nature.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But he's always played up his Blackness in the past.

Now he's gone "Dominican" to get the vote.

I do hope the other guy wins.
oh yeah, cause you can't be both

Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...he's been there long enough.

that's how I feel. he has issues and actually seems kind of slimy.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is it that the majority of blacks will not take a stand against illegal immigration when the loss of jobs probably affects them at least as much or more than whites? So no, whites can't fight illegal immigration all on their own. If blacks would join together with them on this issue it would be a dead issue. So blaming only whites for this problem is ludicrous. The skin color of our politicians has nothing to do with it. They are all humans period and obligated to respect and enforce our immigration laws but most of them don't. At least we have some white politicians that are opposed to this madness but I can't think of one minority politician who seems to be.
Frankly, black folks such as myself have little trust for locking arms with Republicans, and we're also smart enough to know that the battle has already been lost.

Why should African Americans take on a lost cause? I've said it before and I'll say it again...when the Hispanic community emerges victorious in this battle (and they will...believe that), whites will dump their black allies in the fight like a bad of old clothes and immediately make alliances with Hispanics.

When the United States accepted hundreds of thousands of white Cuban exiles in the late 50's-early 60's, they moved right ahead of the African Americans on the South Florida totem pole. No Jim Crow laws for them. Meanwhile, Blacks had to continue to suffer the same old indignities for years to come while watching white exiles...fresh off the boat (or plane), get treated as if they'd been in the country for 300 years.

Whites have lost just as much...hell, probably a lot more from illegal immigration than blacks. Whole swaths of this country from the South to the Plains have seen industries like textiles and meatpacking transfer those jobs to cheap labor illegals. And don't tell me that these plants were mostly staffed by blacks because that's a lie.

So yeah, while African Americans may not be crazy about illegal immigrants, we didn't bring them here and we're not responsible for their presence here. And there's no sense in us joining a lost cause when whites...The group that hired the lions share of these people in the first place, aren't really doing anything about it either.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He will win but I hope more Black leaders lose as a result of immigration. It would be a great comeuppance for their stupidity.
aren't you here as the result of immigration?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Well, its official. Many American voters are still stupid. Why in the hell you would continue to elect a self-serving crook is just pure idiocy.
Have not seen the break down reports as to who voted what but African Americans in Mr. Rangel's Harlem district voted for him probably for some of the same reasons they did Obama, twice. That is out of a sense of pride in having one of their own represent them in Washington D.C.

Mr. Rangel's district was carved out to create one of the first mainly if not majority AA districts in NYS if not the USA. It being part of Harlem makes it resonate powerfully all the more with African American New Yorkers.

On the flip side AAs in Harlem know that demographically and in other ways Mr. Rangel's district is changing. Sooner or later the Hispanic/Latino population will do what Blacks, Irish, Italians, and every other racial/ethnic group in the United States has done; put one of their own in office. In fact am willing to wager many AAs voted in the primary more to send a message than anything else.

Again sadly because of gerrymandering and how NYC politics works (including vast and deep apathy) Mr. Rangel winning the primary means unless he dies before election day he has another term. Indeed that is how much of NYS congressional districts go, if you win the primary odds are you'll sail unchallenged through the main election. There might be an independent candidate but odds are still on the incumbent.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That is true, however mainland Puerto Ricans have abysmal voter turnout rates.

Puerto Rico voter turnout: Why is it so high?
Interesting article about this matter.

It's confusing because both major island parties are associated with a national political party (PPD = entirely Democrats, NPP = mostly Republicans with a handful of Democrats) and they don't exactly shy away from advertising it. Puerto Ricans are most certainly aware of national politics and the national parties. Before 1968 the NPP was the local Republican Party.
When you look at where each candidate's base was the results in those areas weren't unexpected. The wildcard going in was the Puerto Rican areas, East Harlem especially. With each performing as well as pretty much expected with their base, it was ultimately his strong #'s in East Harlem that helped put Rangel over the edge, He actually improved on his 2012 #'s there.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Please do not EVER say "best person" in a thread about Charlie Rangel.
The guys been in Congress now, what 40 years. Someone get him out of there. He is a perfect example of why we need term limits.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have not seen the break down reports as to who voted what but African Americans in Mr. Rangel's Harlem district voted for him probably for some of the same reasons they did Obama, twice. That is out of a sense of pride in having one of their own represent them in Washington D.C.

Mr. Rangel's district was carved out to create one of the first mainly if not majority AA districts in NYS if not the USA. It being part of Harlem makes it resonate powerfully all the more with African American New Yorkers.

On the flip side AAs in Harlem know that demographically and in other ways Mr. Rangel's district is changing. Sooner or later the Hispanic/Latino population will do what Blacks, Irish, Italians, and every other racial/ethnic group in the United States has done; put one of their own in office. In fact am willing to wager many AAs voted in the primary more to send a message than anything else.

Again sadly because of gerrymandering and how NYC politics works (including vast and deep apathy) Mr. Rangel winning the primary means unless he dies before election day he has another term. Indeed that is how much of NYS congressional districts go, if you win the primary odds are you'll sail unchallenged through the main election. There might be an independent candidate but odds are still on the incumbent.
I think the novelty of being represented by someone who's black wore off back in the days of Adam Clayton Powell.

Maybe they just like Rangel more than they like the other guy! Maybe he does a good job for Harlem. Harlem has become quite prosperous over the decades, and maybe folks credit him for some of the resurgence. I don't know.

I mean, sometimes it's just really that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies