Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,800,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

FWIW - America is more then just the USA. It includes all the countries from Canada to Argentina. many of those consider Soccer to be a major sport.
Although those insignificant countries to the north and south my be part of our manifest destiny, we don't consider their inhabitants to be "Americans."

Quote:
Americans
Quote:
, or American people, are citizens of the United States of America. This definition also includes certain individuals who are considered to be nationals of the United States of America.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]39[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] The country is home to people of different national origins. As a result, Americans do not equate their nationality with ethnicity, but with citizenship.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]40[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But I can understand why everyone wishes they could be Americans, even if they can't understand why soccer isn't the most popular sport here.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM

73,143 posts, read 62,811,767 times
Quote:
It truly did, and it would have failed like all the other 100 years of attempts to enact civil rights legislation had it not been for the Republican minority. Every other attempt to bring civil rights legislation to the floor in Congress for a vote had been squashed by the Democrats.
I have to refute that. When this was voted on, this is who voted in favor of the Civil Rights legislation.

In the House, it was 153 Democrats and 138 Republicans(none of the Republicans who voted yes were southerners)

In the Senate, it was 46 Democrats and 27 Republicans(again, no southern Republicans voted in favor of it).

Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
It is not up to the party to get anyone to vote for them. It is up to the individual.

I am a conservative that wants to see a limited constitutional federal government, which is why I have not voted for a Republican President during the last 22 years, since that has never been the Republican candidates goal.
Really? How did the Republicans get sizable amounts of the Hispanic vote? Last time I checked, it was Reagan who said "Hispanics are Republicans, they just don't know it", and pointed to them being "hardworking" and "personal responsibility". You speak of 22 years. This was over 30 years ago.

Last time I checked, how many Republican candidates have tried establishing common ground with Blacks in that time?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Like providing welfare to those who would rather not work.

Most normal people call that "dependence on government." Since Democrats are always advocating for more and more dependence on the government, which of course means less and less liberty for the individual, why would any sane individual, regardless of the color of their skin, vote for a Democrat?
Your statement sounds no different from Newt Gingrich. This is why alot of Blacks won't vote Republican. Stupid things like that. Making stupid assumptions that all Blacks want is welfare. Most Blacks aren't on welfare and don't want it.

Now, there is one thing to consider. Many Blacks vote Democrat because they work for the government. Why bite the hand that is giving you work? Or better yet, why are a large proportion of Blacks working in government-related positions?

And as for "less liberty and more dependence", Blacks have more liberty now than they have had in any other part of American history.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't hear anyone saying this when baseball players get into bench-clearing brawls every time a batter gets HBP.
That's because Americans don't kill officials, unlike soccer hooligans.

This is not the first year that Americans have resisted having this silly game forced upon us:
Quote:
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-american...801.html?cat=9
Why Americans Hate Soccer, but Not Golf, Bowling or Nascar

The 2006 World Cup is underway and once again Americans are ignoring the spectacle in droves. And it's certainly not for lack of trying. The big consumer machine that drives every aspect of American society from politics to sex has been doing its level best for the last two decades to turn Americans onto soccer. But it just doesn't work....{snip}
Another culprit for why Americans don't like soccer is the violence. It's such an integral part of the game that there's even a name for it: hooliganism. Yeah, I know, you can still be a hooligan and never come near a soccer ball, but when Americans hear the word hooliganism, we instantly think of soccer.

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 07-02-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
That's because Americans don't kill officials, unlike soccer hooligans.

This is not the first year that Americans have resisted having this silly game forced upon us:
They haven't killed officials in the USA. You notice it's mostly the UNDERCLASS persons who are killing people.

And as for violence, we have plenty of violence related to sports right here in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTUbirMNL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qMB0_l1HA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnCnKHL0n4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyg9D1Z_r1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbe5rSbu3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVRMmUGgyI

Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,394,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
At the time my family lived in the Sibley Manor apartments, near the river. I remember having lots of fun exploring the sandstone caves along the river.

I moved back to St. Paul after I got out of the military to go to the university. I stayed in a studio apartment (I cannot recall the name of the place) downtown, about a mile from the cathedral on the hill.

I really liked the University of Minnesota, and enjoyed fishing for all the pan fish and pike, but I could not handle the climate. Which is why I live in Alaska today, and for the last 23 years.

Summers and winters in Minnesota are brutal. Summers with 90°F temperatures and 90% humidity, and winters with weeks of -20°F temperatures in January. South-central Alaska has summers that range between 60° and 70°F, rarely reaching 80°F, and being next to the coast keeps the humidity low. During the winter it can, and has, dropped to -30°F and colder, but those are very rare days indeed. Typically we enjoy winter temperatures in the range of +10°F to +20°F.
Well if you were playing here (organized or not) then you were around when my high school was the best in the nation and we produced a number of USA hockey players. My neighborhood in fact produced a USA hockey player every Olympics from 1960 to 1980. The East Side is the Mecca of American hockey; it's Herb Brooks' neighborhood as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Black Americans tend to be quite socially conservative.
This is nonsense. 90+ percent black Americans vote democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Being bulky and heavy is not the same as being fat.

Those linebackers are in shape - they couldn't play at that level if they weren't.
Are you going to rag on a sport like soccer and be an apologist for a thugged out, trashy league and game like the NFL? The most disgusting league on the planet with all the criminals and uneducated bafoons. Football has to be one of the most boring sports to watch as well with the thousands of commercials and stops and starts every lousy broadcast. Not to mention you will only get 8 home games a year and 16 total as well.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of NFL players only made because of their frame; if I was 6'6" and 280 I'd be in the NFL as well. It just so happens I wasn't born built that way.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM

29,632 posts, read 16,616,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
How does that dispute anything I posted? What part of "had it not been for the Republican minority" the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would never have passed because of Democrat opposition is in error?

There were 24 Republican votes against the bill, compared to 96 Democrats. In the Senate 21 Democrats opposed the bill, compared to 6 Republicans. Clearly, Democrats opposed Civil Rights Act by a four to one margin over Republicans.
If the number of US Senators was equal to the number of Democrats then the bill would have passed with a filibuster proof majority of 46-20 (66%)

and in the House 152 -96.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They haven't killed officials in the USA.
Sigh.

As posted above:

John Bieniewicz

Ricardo Portillo

Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,493,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Well if you were playing here (organized or not) then you were around when my high school was the best in the nation and we produced a number of USA hockey players. My neighborhood in fact produced a USA hockey player every Olympics from 1960 to 1980. The East Side is the Mecca of American hockey; it's Herb Brooks' neighborhood as well.
That may be, but I do not follow sports. Like I said, I prefer to play, not watch. I am a player, not a spectator, and now that I am 60 I am not even player any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies