Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:14 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,980 times

Advertisements

Soccer Had it's Chance...and Missed It

[/quote]In 1999, the Women's World Cup was held in the United States. Of course no one cared about this anymore than they care about soccer in general, but during the title game, there was a moment that could have forever changed the course of soccer in the US.
During the final game, after scoring the winning goal, Brandie Chastain dropped to her knees and peeled her shirt off. Since this was a soccer game, and a women's soccer game at that, the chances that any heterosexual males over the age of 10 were watching are mind-bogglingly low. However, it was an opportunity, maybe the only opportunity, to turn the tide for all those poor little boys of soccer moms who are barreling down a path towards pink polo shirts and having a "partner" instead of a wife.
In fact, the chance existed, though slight as it may have been, that the removal of Brandie's shirt could bring a whole new fan base to soccer. Sure, many of those fans would have been the creepy guys that eat dinner at the strip club, but at this point I'm thinking soccer will be grateful for even these guys.
Unfortunately, what was revealed when Brandi's shirt came over her head was a sports bra, not a nice pair of firm athletic tata's. Perhaps my perverted mind is the only one that would think a woman would run all over the place for 90 minutes while her rack flapped free, but if you're going to rip your shirt off, do it to expose SOMETHING! So while men took the opportunity to catch a peak of the sports bra, it wasn't enough to generate the interest needed to watch another game. Men can watch girls in sports bra's jog down the street any day of the week.[/quote]

Read more: 5 Reasons Americans Dislike Soccer | Cracked.com

Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
How does that dispute anything I posted? What part of "had it not been for the Republican minority" the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would never have passed because of Democrat opposition is in error?

There were 24 Republican votes against the bill, compared to 96 Democrats. In the Senate 21 Democrats opposed the bill, compared to 6 Republicans. Clearly, Democrats opposed Civil Rights Act by a four to one margin over Republicans.
And clearly, as you know, Northern Democrats supported it, both Democratic presidents supported it, it was originated as a Democratic bill, signed by a Democratic president and after the bill passed, the Southern Democrats became Republicans where they continue to be what they are to this day.

Republicans may hope that voters won't know how racist the South was but it doesn't take long to remind people that it was the Republican Party that took in the anti-Civil Rights voters in the South and claimed them as their own and still do to this day. And lest you think Southern Republicans were particularly supportive:

On June 11, 1963, President Kennedy met with the Republican leaders to discuss the legislation before his television address to the nation that evening. Two days later, Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen and Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield both voiced support for the president's bill, except for provisions guaranteeing equal access to places of public accommodations.
Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In this case, it becomes clear that Democrats in the north and the south were more likely to vote for the bill than Republicans in the north and south respectively. This difference in both houses is statistically significant with over 95% confidence. It just so happened southerners made up a larger percentage of the Democratic than Republican caucus, which created the initial impression than Republicans were more in favor of the act.
Nearly 100% of Union state Democrats supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act compared to 85% of Republicans. None of the southern Republicans voted for the bill, while a small percentage of southern Democrats did.
Were Republicans really the party of civil rights in the 1960s? | Harry J Enten | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,980 times
Default Something scholarly from the Clinton era

They tried to popularize soccer here in 1999....and failed.
Quote:
Soccer Had it's Chance...and Missed it

In 1999, the Women's World Cup was held in the United States. Of course no one cared about this anymore than they care about soccer in general, but during the title game, there was a moment that could have forever changed the course of soccer in the US.
During the final game, after scoring the winning goal, Brandie Chastain dropped to her knees and peeled her shirt off. Since this was a soccer game, and a women's soccer game at that, the chances that any heterosexual males over the age of 10 were watching are mind-bogglingly low. However, it was an opportunity, maybe the only opportunity, to turn the tide for all those poor little boys of soccer moms who are barreling down a path towards pink polo shirts and having a "partner" instead of a wife.

{snip}So while men took the opportunity to catch a peak of the sports bra, it wasn't enough to generate the interest needed to watch another game. Men can watch girls in sports bra's jog down the street any day of the week.

Read more: 5 Reasons Americans Dislike Soccer | Cracked.com

Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
But with Coulter, there’s always been a sturdy suspicion that she is playing a character (like Colbert) and amping up the obnoxious rhetoric for maximum effect (like Colbert). When I mention the comparison to Colbert, though, he seems surprised, even unnerved. “I don’t really think about her much,” he says. “She’s a self-generating bogeyman. She’s like someone who wants attention for having been bad.” Given that he’s hosted right-wing true believers like Joe Scarborough before, and has often said he’d love to have Bill O’Reilly on the show, would he ever invite Coulter as a guest? “My sense is that she’s playing a character,” he says. “I don’t need another character. There’s one character on my show, and that’s me.”

Coulter is a troll, saying things for effect.

Stephen Colbert Has America by the Ballots -- New York Magazine

Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
This is nonsense. 90+ percent black Americans vote democrat.
Even of this is true, it doesn't contradict the fact that many black Americans are socially conservative.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
This is nonsense. 90+ percent black Americans vote democrat.
Having some conservative values is not always the same as voting for a Republican. There are Black people who are against gay marriage. However, it doesn't mean they will vote Republican.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Black Americans tend to be quite socially conservative.

You have failed to account for the large number of liberal white Americans who vote Democrat, and for the fact that black Americans tend to be socially conservative.
No, I simply said the majority of white athletes lean right, but an even bigger majority of black athletes lean left. There are more white athletes that lean to the left (probably around 30 percent) then there are black athletes that lean to the right. Socially speaking, I have met a lot of black athletes that are pro choice, pro gay marriage.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Most soccer fans are Euro-wannabee's. Nothing more pathetic than that.

I would watch women's basketball 7 days a week rather than watch one soccer game. Unless it's my 5 year old grandson's game.

Does everyone get a trophy in grown up soccer?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is boring for you to watch. I've played soccer. It's harder to play than it looks. It is fun though. I've never been bored watch baseball or soccer.
Watching is a different thing. Hell I sat through many a kids games and just rolled my eyes........lol

Same with baseball though. Fun to play...........a chore to watch. Football is a different animal. Love watching that. Friday Night Lights. Love it to death. My boy is in it so that is probably why. He played soccer I'd be a big soccer fan I'm sure.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Soccer, along with all sports, at its most basic level is a game. There are rules, there are points, there's a win condition and a lose condition. Layer in the intricacies of each individual game with the strategies, plans, etc and you have the flavor that defines each of these.

Sports is just a type of sub-genre of games - they're physical, require conditioning and training, etc,etc.

Speaking strictly from this standpoint - I don't consider Poker a sport, but more of a intellectually challenging game. Using this same logic I consider pro wrestling a sport as it falls under the sports sub-genre of games and is a game in and of itself.

Soccer is a sport as much as it is a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies