Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:56 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Yes, science's goal is to destroy religion. That's what they teach you in chemistry.
That's cute.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. Religions goal is to destroy general relativity. At least that's what quantum mechanics teaches you.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Leaving well to do alone in the face of both work for me.
What? You want to leave the well to do alone?
How about the people who aren't well to do?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
OK, let's sum up:

*You wrongly think science purports to know everything (it doesn't - the unknown, and trying to better understand the unknown, interests most scientists far more than what is known - and once something is figured out, a scientists quickly moves on to trying to solve other questions).

*You wrongly think the purpose of science is to destroy religion (it's not - you just think this because science often makes discoveries which disprove religious claims - which is not a reflection of the purpose of science, but of the tendency of religions to make demonstrably false claims).

*You think the dinosaur/bird question is an either/or (it's not - birds are essentially a subset of all dinosaurs, in the way that canines are a subset of all mammals - though in the case of birds, the clade Aves is sufficiently different from the rest of the clade Dinosauria that they are rarely referred to as dinosaurs, though in a strict cladistic sense they are).

You packed quite a lot of FAIL in a fairly short post. Guess what? Your myriad miscomprehensions and general ignorance are your responsibility, not the fault of the perceived boogeyman of the scientific method.
There is no perceived boogeyman.

Science is used as a bludgeon for many agendas. Concerning the pseudo-intellectuals, destroying religion is just one of them.

I didn't explicitly state that science's lone objective is to destroy religion. That is a strawman.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What? You want to leave the well to do alone?
How about the people who aren't well to do?
Stop bleeding...

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Stop bleeding...
You're not making a lick of sense...babbling about the well to do and bleeding.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
That was just my way of saying..."This is as far as I discuss it in here"
Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to discuss it further. With every post you look sillier and sillier.

Although it's hard to see how much sillier one can get after beginning a thread on the premise that science exists only to destroy religion. Lots of stupid stuff has been posted on this forum, but I would put you in the top ten for that one.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
I didn't mention contraception. I noticed you failed to address the point I DID bring up. If that's too difficult for you, how about "All life is sacred and a gift from God, therefore abortion should be outlawed."
The abortion issue is a tough one and for me it's not a religious question but a moral one. The only thing I'm going to say is there is many idiots on both side of this debate and leave it at that.

As for the original post I was addressing people should have the right to believe what they want and act on those beliefs unless they are directly trampling on the rights of others. If you don't want to serve gays at your bakery, so be it. If you want to have a bakery that only serves gays, so be it. That's not for you, me or anyone else to decide.

Frankly I find it perplexing that someone doing business with someone wouldn't want to know if they aren't welcome there. If I were gay I'd want giant sign in the Window that said "Gays not welcome" so I could take my business elsewhere.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You're not making a lick of sense...babbling about the well to do and bleeding.
Your heart is bleeding....stop it

Bleeding-heart libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you need it written on a nail and beat into your brain too?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to discuss it further. With every post you look sillier and sillier.

Although it's hard to see how much sillier one can get after beginning a thread on the premise that science exists only to destroy religion. Lots of stupid stuff has been posted on this forum, but I would put you in the top ten for that one.
But I never never said that....lol

Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Science is never absolute, knowledge is always expanding. What was thought be true and accepted one day is proven to be false the next.

Gravity Does Not Exist, Says Physicist
There is no such thing as "settled science" - except that of global warming, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies