Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times

Advertisements

Dallas Ebolaman now beleived to have had contact with 100 people.

listening to the radio here, an official said that the family was "having difficulty" remaining at home so the state had to issue the order for them to do so.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
I heard on the radio this morning that there are 100 people being monitored in Texas as the result of the first infection.

If this crap can only be spread by body fluids, then explain why there are 100 being monitored?

Was he slobbering all over everyone he had contact with?

If this virus is so difficult to catch, why are 4 people in quarantine? Did he sneeze and slobber all over them too?

They're lying to us about the airborne transmission. I just know it.

4 People Quarantined Over Ebola Fears, About 100 Being Monitored

Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dallas health officials have expanded that list of a "handful" of people that were in contact with him to a list of over 100 people now.

And it looks like the family disregarded the order to stay home.

About 100 Might Have Had Contact With Dallas Ebola Patient or Family: Officials | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
After previously being told to stay home and isolated, Duncan's relatives could now face legal action if they don't comply.

Texas and Dallas County health officials issued a legal order requiring the four family members to stay home and not have any visitors until Oct. 19, the Texas Department of State Health Services said in a news release.
My gosh, I think several people on this thread are exactly and unfortunately right when they suggest that this is in part a CULTURAL issue.

First, the guy DID NOT tell any healthcare workers that he had been in the same vehicle with Ebola patients and that two of them were now dead of Ebola. I'd be hollering from the rooftops, "For God's sake, don't send me home - I MIGHT HAVE EBOLA!" But not this guy. Nope. He just goes on home.

Then apparently he started becoming violently sick and throwing up copiously - and the family PUTS HIM OUTSIDE and becomes hysterical, screaming and carrying on - according to eyewitnesses, when the ambulance arrived, it was chaos, with him violently ill, spewing all over the place, and the family screaming, many of them from inside.

I mean, the reaction I'd expect would be that he'd be inside, in a bathroom, away from other people - not outside staggering around projectile vomiting while the family stands back and screams. Proof, by the way, that they had a pretty good idea how contagious he was at that point - "Don't get near us - keep that stuff outside in PUBLIC where OTHER people have to deal with it!"

THEN - after being told that he has Ebola and that they are required to stay home, they DISREGARDED THIS DIRECTIVE and the state of Texas had to formally detain them, with criminal charges possible if they leave. What sort of person would be detained, knowing they may have Ebola, but they leave the house ANYWAY?

There's absolutely nothing in this story that convinces me that either the patient or his family is cooperative and forthcoming. The only exception may be his poor nephew, who in desperation called the CDC. Can you imagine how horror stricken this kid was with all this dysfunction around him and some guy obviously sick unto death with what is almost certainly EBOLA? Did the other family members do anything other than push him out into the street so he could spew out there instead of in their bathroom?

Of course, now that I think of it, I don't blame them for being extremely angry with him as well. I'm pretty sure he didn't tell them, "Hey, by the way, before I show up, you need to know that I just left two people who are now dead of Ebola, so I've definitely been exposed to it - you don't mind if I shack up at your place for a few days, do you? Yeah, around your kids. No worries, right?"

I bet that girlfriend is cussing him good about now.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Dallas Ebolaman now beleived to have had contact with 100 people.

listening to the radio here, an official said that the family was "having difficulty" remaining at home so the state had to issue the order for them to do so.

Yes, I read that the family was "challenged" when it came to obeying the directive.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that there are 100 people being monitored in Texas as the result of the first infection.

If this crap can only be spread by body fluids, then explain why there are 100 being monitored?

Was he slobbering all over everyone he had contact with?

If this virus is so difficult to catch, why are 4 people in quarantine? Did he sneeze and slobber all over them too?

They're lying to us about the airborne transmission. I just know it.

4 People Quarantined Over Ebola Fears, About 100 Being Monitored
Out of an abundance of caution.

I went to wedding in California in July. The night before the wedding the groom was coughing up blood and went to the ER. He had tuberculosis and was put under quarantine (missed his wedding). The health department did the same contact tracing they're doing for this Ebola case, and ended up monitoring more than 100 people (family, friends, coworkers, wedding guests he'd spent the prior days with).

In the end, nobody else got it (not even his wife).

Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, I read that the family was "challenged" when it came to obeying the directive.
Have you watched the news? They put this woman in her apartment with a couple kids and no food, nothing for the kids to do. The others were similarly quarantined without regard for how they were to see to the basic necessities of life. The bedsheets this guy contaminated are still in the wife/girlfriends apartment. No one came to help her until CNN told the story about the conditions she was under. If we are going to lock people up then we need to provided the basics of life to them while they are so quarantined. Liberia is doing a better job of managing this. At least they burn the sheets and bedding. Texas has fumbled this case from the beginning and more comes out every day about how unprepared they were to deal with this. In fairness, it is the first case and hopefully other state departments of health will learn from their mistakes.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Maybe the entire family deserves a Darwin award.

I need to know how he infected 4 people.

If it's not airborne, and you can only catch it by distributing bodily fluids.

How was it transmitted?

And now 4 - each one infects 25? That makes 100?

It's a race against time with Ebola.

To catch the disease before people become infectious is how they can save lives.

There's really only one way to arrest the spread, but NOBODY wants to do it!

Refuse entry to the USA from EVERYONE, who's passport has been stamped within the last 45 days from any nation with an active Ebola epidemic.

PERIOD!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Maybe the entire family deserves a Darwin award.

I need to know how he infected 4 people.

If it's not airborne, and you can only catch it by distributing bodily fluids.

How was it transmitted?

And now 4 - each one infects 25? That makes 100?

It's a race against time with Ebola.

To catch the disease before people become infectious is how they can save lives.

There's really only one way to arrest the spread, but NOBODY wants to do it!

Refuse entry to the USA from EVERYONE, who's passport has been stamped within the last 45 days from any nation with an active Ebola epidemic.

PERIOD!!!
I don't think anyone but the patient has been infected yet. His female companion and the kids that are locked in his contaminated apartment are likely doomed though.

Close the borders with Texas, too.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Liberia plans to prosecute him. He lied on the airline questionnaire about contact with ebola victims.
Duncan answered NO to all the questions including one that asked if he touched an ebola patient.

Liberia to Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola to US - ABC News

Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think anyone but the patient has been infected yet. His female companion and the kids that are locked in his contaminated apartment are likely doomed though.
Thank you, Texas Presbyterian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies