Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:33 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

We've had wide open borders, so why no other terraist attacks? Do you not think someone could come across the border, when there are 1000s of illegals crossing daily, for Gosh sakes? So why not another terraist attack on our country? I mean, it's not like we're guarding the borders, and surely must be hated, so what's up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 09:29 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Popular to contrary belief the patriot act does work

Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 PM

2,224 posts, read 772,341 times
I'm not sure I understand your question "if 9/11 were true". Of course it's true. The entire world saw it. The towers are no longer there.

Or, could you be talking about some of the conspiracy theories out there? Either way, it happened

Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
its part of the conspiricy! please dont wish for that which you do not want.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:24 AM

2,224 posts, read 772,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
its part of the conspiricy! please dont wish for that which you do not want.

Can you clarify this a little? The "wishing" part kind of threw me off. Was this for me, the original poster, or just in general?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Because we have been lucky. That and we have boosted security all over. You cant even take bags with you on the plane anymore!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
We've had wide open borders, so why no other terraist attacks? Do you not think someone could come across the border, when there are 1000s of illegals crossing daily, for Gosh sakes? So why not another terraist attack on our country? I mean, it's not like we're guarding the borders, and surely must be hated, so what's up with this?
Where were you in 2001? Jeez. We GAVE those #%@#'n Saudis valid VISAs to come to the USA and "study". We let them enroll in flight schools and move around the country unobserved. We let them do whatever they wanted to do. The borders had nothing to do with it. Those $#%$'s came right through our ports of entry LEGALLY. And you know what? Now we've brought in a whole bunch more Saudis to "study"... smart aren't we? What the hell has 9/11 and the hijackings those *******s did to attack the twin towers and the Pentagon got to do with subsequent terror attacks or the border? Yes, it needs to be closed and monitored. But my question is...why are you getting all your stress out here when you could curb it in letters to Congress because you know and I know that the President and Congress will do nothing....nothing....nothing...about the border.?

Old 10-30-2006, 10:05 AM

56 posts, read 32,681 times
some are saying... that the speed which the floors fell thru was way too fast .... its more like there was demolition set up and this brought down the buildings with the planes.....

Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default My opinion

If Al Queda really had anything, they would've used it by now. I'm insulted by the so-called conspiracy theories. They're bunk. Believe that garbage at the risk of your own sanity.

As it was, they did a classic asymetrical/guerilla warfare tactic of using what was at hand in the enemy's backyard to harm their enemy. For 9-11, they used a combination 3 things against us. All 3 were our own stuff:

- Nearly non-existant border control. Years of Congressional meddling with the INS and lack of funding for INS efforts left our borders pretty poorly defended. Fifteen years after the 1986 immigration amnesty, Congress had not let the INS solve the border issues or even build a decent ADP system to track people. Instead of spending on necessities, politicians pandered to tax-cut zealots and Reaganesque small-government-is-best-government whiners. Of course, any money not spent on INS they used to give tax loopholes to their vested interest pals all over the country. On 9-11 we got to see the benefit of small government and the cut cut cut mentality. Well, the people of easy virtue in Congress ARE spending NOW, aren't they....

- Minimal airline security. I recall flying in the mid 1970's and AIRLINE personnel or REAL security types checked every briefcase before we got on a plane and would not allow anything that could've been a weapon. That all went by the wayside with de-regulation. Since de-regulation of the airlines, there has been nothing but red ink and bankruptcies. I spent my career in transportation and saw the airline industry go down the tubes after 1980. In response to airline industry efforts to save money, governments appeased the airlines and let them run airline security, ha ha, which they contracted out to foreign companies who hired the cheapest possible labor. Rules were relaxed to allow box cutters and other "tools" on board, all in the name of not inconveniencing the public, cause if we tick'em off they may fly another airline or not fly at all, ohhh woe is me. Myself, I don't know any carpet layers or warehouse workers who fly to work with their razor sharp tools. We got a few lower fares...but look at the cost....besides the cost of 9-11 we have a bankrupt industry and the taxpayers WILL end up paying the pension costs of airline employees. You can pay at the ticket counter or you can pay later via the IRS, but g-d it, you're gonna pay for that low fare one way or the other. When will we Americans STOP believing in the free lunch? BTW, this last point is still a weak point with us, trying to have it all - on the cheap. Al Queda waits, if we get too cheap, they'll exploit our cheapness again. And again.

- They used OUR planes with huge fuel tanks full of OUR fuel. Free bombs. The best kind. We provided them for the price of a ticket. They didn't have to "deploy" any tanks or planes or shiploads of military gear. Twenty dudes was all it took. They bought their cell phones and box cutters HERE.

Al Queda used very little money to front the expenses of their people, that's all. Clever. If they had anything else to use on us, they would've. They'd love to get a nuke from the loonies in N. Korea or Iran. Pakistan has nukes, if the militants take over that country, look out. I suspect if that happens, our defense (or Israel's) will take out Pakistan's nukes, possibly with our own nukes. Oh joy.

Al Queda's secondary plot, a year or two after 9-11, would have involved detonating a car bomb in front of a glass-fronted building. The car bomb would've sent millions of shards of glass flying into thousands of building occupants, with stupendously horrific slicing and dicing of people. The sight and description of the wounds would've provided the lesson in terror they sought to achieve. Again, get some TNT from OUR poorly (cheaply) secured construction sites and use OUR window glass to do the dirty work. It didn't happen. Chalk it up to good police work and/or good Homeland Security.

The fun is a long way from over.

s/Mike

Old 10-30-2006, 02:42 PM

148 posts, read 419,321 times
I think 9/11 happened because your government lulled you into a false sense of security, having you believe it could not or would not occur.Even now, how many t.v. progamme makers and newspapers have shown security measures to be a mockery. If someone really wants to do damage they can,despite even the most stringent security measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies