Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
We're safe in our homes. We can eat what we want.

For now.....
The government could limit us what we can eat.. those scanners print out everything we buy.. if we bought too many cookies , the scanner would refuse to scan with a buzzer , meaning we consumed our limit of cookies for the month and it would be cast aside to be placed back on the shelf. It could happen.. the food police , but this system could be put in place saying it was due to shortage of sugar or flour.. lying to us as the government don't really have to tell us the truth. They are now dictating to us what we can and cannot do already. And it could also be , to stop people from hoarding food in a so called crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Do you really think the Obama phone lady will care...she is probably not listening and in line for the food bank and other ways to get stuff for free.
Exactly. She doesn't care.That is why we need to make sure they have healthy meals and education as well so we don't have millions more of the phone lady. Would you rather just moan and whine or be part of the solution?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Another way to look at it is to make sure your own kid eats proper meals. In other words it is time to parent up.

Some kids have very ignorant parents. Do you think they should be fed better nutrition or just allowed to wallow?
It may be the only meal they get and can use the extra calories. There is no one size fits all meal plan and it's foolish to believe there is.

The 6'5 215 lb football player with practice right after school needs far more calories than his 5'2 115 lb classmate.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No, it will do little since there seems to be a large number of Parents that do not teach their children the things they should be learning at home, like eating more healthy foods.
So why do it at all? If it's not going to change anything what is the point of throwing all that money at something that will accomplish absolutely nothing in the end?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It may be the only meal they get and can use the extra calories. There is no one size fits all meal plan and it's foolish to believe there is.

The 6'5 215 lb football player with practice right after school needs far more calories than his 5'2 115 lb classmate.
Any govt program will have a shakedown cruise to solve problems. Some cruises are longer.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM

31,084 posts, read 22,094,503 times
I would have eaten almost anything when I was a kid in school. We were as poor as dirt. I would have eaten 10 year old cheese Whiz and Spam and said thank you.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Any govt program will have a shakedown cruise to solve problems. Some cruises are longer.
Some short, like the Titanic.

I will note, you didn't disagree with me. You must be racist and disrespectful of wives.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Which kind of destroys your argument. You cant feed everyone like a 6'5 football player.

Also, at my school, the football players all ate breakfast(something not even offered to the other 1200 kids at my school.) They also ate after practice as well.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Kids will eat what they are used to eating at home. I used to work at a Title 1 school where the majority of the kids were Mexican and Haitian. Burgers???? lol They HATED burgers. The school served, and cooked from scratch, meals that these kids were used to eating: from burritos (breakfast and otherwise), tacos, black beans and rice, to jerk chicken.

Once a month they had Cuban Sandwich day. Signs said, "Teachers place YOUR orders early". Yes, staff ordered that one which was cooked (no mystery cold cuts) by the "lunch ladies", and served on real pressed Cuban bread. I always ordered that myself!

Kids don't like fruit? Try "Pineapple Week". I don't mean CANNED either. Each day the cafeteria staff made a different meal with fresh pineapple. Of course, the kids could also get pineapple chucks (fresh) in a cup. These specials always sold out. Yes, the teachers ordered these too.

Restaurant at school? Well, the majority of these kids were poor and serving them a good healthy lunch, which they would actually EAT, might be the best meal of the day they had. A hungry child is not going to be able to concentrate and learn.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I would have eaten almost anything when I was a kid in school. We were as poor as dirt. I would have eaten 10 year old cheese Whiz and Spam and said thank you.
Exactly. We were quite poor as well and the thoughts of a nutritious lunch being made available to us at school would be like a dream come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies