Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

What on earth could justify the disgusting attacks on her physical appearance and the insulting personal nicknames posters all over C-D use in referring to her? Commenters who counter her ideas are playing fair. Those who make comments about the size of her body and call her "Moo-chelle" show a profound lack of civility that is entirely unwarranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
LoL, you are taking the position of attacking your straw-man again. The kids parents should be responsible until the are 18. Like every decision they make as a minor.

Palin is a lunatic and Ted is a closet child rapist that **** himself for a week to avoid service. That is a non-sequoitor that you know nothing about. Get help because you are the only person that brought them up. You call me a crank?

Sorry, but if a kids parents should bear full responsibility for paying for the kid then that's what they should do.
That's the point of the thread, I thought. Parents should be responsible for their children, including their eating habits. The problem is, the feds are stepping in, pushing the parents aside and making those decisions for the children.

I seriously doubt anyone ever became obese on those "pink cookies".....

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
The problem is that school districts often fail to work with parents to define and enforce what is an acceptable lunch purchase. We are left unaware that our little darlings are walking right by the main course and healthy sides to spend their $1.65 on iced cookies.

When my kids were younger, if I wanted to offer them cookies for dessert, I did so at dinner. I reasonably expected to know whether or not those cookies were my kids' first, second, or third dessert of the day. When schools allowed my kids to eat cookies for lunch without my knowledge and permission, they interfered with my ability to be a responsible parent and monitor my kids' eating habits.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-01-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm sorry, but that thinking is archaic. I do not expect someone to respect me just because I'm married. I would hope that they judge me for me. As a woman, I especially have the right to judge the First Lady. I do not judge her on her husband's performance. I judge her on her own behavior and words.
Seems you are not a woman to some. You are your husbands wife.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Not all of them did and the free market gave you the option to shop based on that criteria, if that was important to you.

But seriously, I do want to know my answer about this flipping pink cookie!
Apparently that pink cookie is just one of the casualties of this administration's determinations to wipe what it considers "junk food" off the face of the earth. According to regulations originating from Michelle Obama's "Let's Move' program, food served in schools must meet USDA standards for sugar, fat, sodium, etc etc, or they're verboten.

According to the Wall Street Journal article linked below, it sounded like these foods cannot be served while the schools are serving meals- if I read that correctly. If that's the case, maybe they can still serve those brownies, cupcakes, pink cookies and salty popcorn during fundraising events held outside of school time, parents' nights and PTA meetings? I don't know, I wonder if anyone has the cahones to thumb their noses at the feds, brave the Food Police, and bring out those goodies and find out?

Schools Plan to Lighten Up on Bake Sales - WSJ

Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Gays have the same rights as everyone else. They have the right to choose to marry the person of the opposite sex of their choice/race.

But they seem to think they need special rights.

Maybe because they are gender confused.
I think they should also have the right to eat pink cookies if they want....

Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seems you are not a woman to some. You are your husbands wife.
Geez... I'm in trouble then... cause he can be a real pain sometimes.... LOLOLOL

Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We don't drug test for welfare recipients. Stop the hyperbole.

Federal Court Invalidates Drug Testing of Welfare Applicants | ThinkProgress

The schools simply need to ignore regulations like this, the government isn't going to do anything about it.
From what I've read schools potentially could be fined for serving foods not approved by the USDA... that'd be if they were reported, I guess.

They might also be able to serve what they want if they opt out of the federal school lunch program.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
A friend who is American, working in Paris, sent me this link today about what French school children have for lunch. I think the contrast with our approach to food and nutrition and even school activity cycles is eye-opening.

Anybody want another serving of macaroni and cheese and ketchup, or are you ready for your nap now?
LOL, maybe it's the wine that the French serve with their meals. ( just kidding)

Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
From what I've read schools potentially could be fined for serving foods not approved by the USDA... that'd be if they were reported, I guess.

They might also be able to serve what they want if they opt out of the federal school lunch program.
Think about it. What politician is going to risk the backlash of fining a school system over something like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies