Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When I read gun control I got excited and then I read the fine print and what this law does, are you ready for it?.... is to require background checks. No seriously, this is it.

Isn't this just common sense? You've got to be stone cold nut to be against this. Hasn't the gun nuts been saying we don't have a gun problem, we have a mental health problem? Well, here is a law that can help fix that.
The medical community fights against that.

Quote:
Think about, people who are against this law is basically saying, "I don't give a S--- whether I'm selling my gun to a psycho and if my name ends up in CNN as the supplier, hell I just say, hey what he does with it is none of my business!"

I doubt you want your neighbor to be able to access your medical records and find out that you were once treated for depression
Neither does the medical community. It will tend to keep people from getting treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Looks like a lot of money is going to be wasted by anti gun groups because this law will not pass, especially in a midterm election. If they were smart the would back burner this until 2016

Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The medical community fights against that.

I doubt you want your neighbor to be able to access your medical records and find out that you were once treated for depression Neither does the medical community. It will tend to keep people from getting treatment.

How and why would my neighbor be able to access my medical records?
If I want to buy a gun from my neighbor, I would submit info for background check,
if I passed, I would show seller and get gun. If I failed background check, no gun for me.

I will agree an 18 page initiative does not have a chance of passing. K.I.S.S.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
How and why would my neighbor be able to access my medical records?
If I want to buy a gun from my neighbor, I would submit info for background check,
if I passed, I would show seller and get gun. If I failed background check, no gun for me.

I could print myself a background check in probably a few minutes.....print....print....print. Here you go.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I've been on the fence about voting for Hillary should she get the nomination, but this is one thing that will weigh heavily in her favor in making that decision.
Exactly! Three words: Supreme Court Nominations

Old 08-26-2014, 04:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I could print myself a background check in probably a few minutes.....print....print....print. Here you go.

That can be said for most government documents.
But I still don't understand how background checks would give your neighbor access to your medical records.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Wow--Bill and Melinda Gates give $1 million to I-594.
Bill and Melinda Gates give $1M in support of background checks on gun buyers | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times

Gates has always been a big anti-gun guy. He donated big bucks to I-676, another gun control measure, in 1997, but not this big.

Supposedly, from what I've been told, Gates has always insisted on unarmed security for his home, so at least he is not a shameless hypocrite like a Michael Bloomberg.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:11 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
I haven't had time to read the bill but does it include gun registration? Because without registration, universal background checks are worthless.

Example - day 1 the law goes into effect. Day 2, I sell my 1960's model .22 pistol to Bill_G. Day 3, Bill_G is pulled over after robbing a bank. There is no record of the sale. He didn't have to go through the background check process. There's no audit trail of sales since the gun was manufactured before the law took effect.

Any new gun sold after the law takes effect will have an ownership trail following it. As soon as there is a break, then you find at least where the seller broke the law by not requiring a background check on a buyer.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:06 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,316 times
I wonder if the main motivation of these wealthy individuals is to insure they are the only ones armed when the Dems convince the populace to attack the rich.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
That can be said for most government documents.
But I still don't understand how background checks would give your neighbor access to your medical records.
Unless you can verify it through something more than something anyone can print off a computer, what is the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies