Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Its perfectly legal. Its done everyday. You ddo not have to have a title to a car to sell it.
In WA you still have to Create a bill of sale agreement with the buyer and sign it in the presence of a notary public as well as Visit a DMV office to fill out a form for replacement of a title.

When I lived in Texas you could sell a vehicle that was over 10 years old for scrap or parts without a paper trail, but that was a very long time ago. You cannot legally sell a modern working vehicle without a paper trail anywhere in the United States anymore.

let's stay on topic now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
http://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Un...tive_594_(2014)

There are very good reasons to oppose this.
Nope, these are good reasons to be FOR it. I live in Washington, and I am voting for this bill. It is a common sense bill.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
You can't

Please don't tell me you're against registering your guns
Ok, I won't tell you, you can figure it out on your own.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
How do people privately sell cars, houses, or any other item that can't be sold without a paper trail.

I'm not sure if you know this, but it's 2014. We aren't exactly living in the wild west anymore.
They are not covered under the Constitution. I own several guns that were bought from private sellers, do you honestly believe that I or any other gun owner would register those guns and any others we already own so we can be entered into a database? Really?
There is no way for the State to enforce background checks or registration of all private sales and gun ownership, it simply cannot be accomplished without the populace knuckling under and doing as they are told. Maybe that is how they do things in Washington, but try it here in Texas and you would be involved in an uprising before the ink dried on the Bill.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Nope, these are good reasons to be FOR it. I live in Washington, and I am voting for this bill. It is a common sense bill.
Maybe you'd find China better. No freedom there.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
That is nonsense my friend
There is nothing in the bill that states one can't show off their guns or even let others fire their guns.

Transfer refers to new ownership, and I support the notion of not allowing some felon to trade a stolen mountain bike for a handgun with some random stranger he met on craigslist. If this means that now a background check is required to transfer a firearm with one of my fishing buddies from work, then so be it.
I posted a link earlier on this. It defines transfer very broadly, not limiting the term to just change of ownership. Friends trying out each other's guns at a range would be criminals if this passes. Hunters lending guns to each other would be criminals. And it's not just a background check required, it requires a letter from law enforcement to allow for that transfer. This law is all about creating burdens and legal landmines for gun owners and is blatantly unconstitutional and tyrannical.

It's also a good example of why direct democracy always leads to tyranny.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
That is nonsense my friend
There is nothing in the bill that states one can't show off their guns or even let others fire their guns.

Transfer refers to new ownership, and I support the notion of not allowing some felon to trade a stolen mountain bike for a handgun with some random stranger he met on craigslist. If this means that now a background check is required to transfer a firearm with one of my fishing buddies from work, then so be it.
No, you're wrong..... Taken from the Bill itself:

Quote:
(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person
without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not
limited to, gifts and loans.
http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/...alText_483.pdf[/SIZE]

please read the bill. The devil is truly in the details.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
So let me get a better sense of what you call "common sense"...... Under this bill, if a man were to go hunting with his son-in-law, and he let him borrow his gun without doing a background check, they both become instant criminals.

So, you'd consider that "common sense" law would you?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
In WA you still have to Create a bill of sale agreement with the buyer and sign it in the presence of a notary public as well as Visit a DMV office to fill out a form for replacement of a title.

When I lived in Texas you could sell a vehicle that was over 10 years old for scrap or parts without a paper trail, but that was a very long time ago. You cannot legally sell a modern working vehicle without a paper trail anywhere in the United States anymore
let's stay on topic now
Quit making false statements and they won't have to be corrected.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I posted a link earlier on this. It defines transfer very broadly, not limiting the term to just change of ownership. Friends trying out each other's guns at a range would be criminals if this passes. Hunters lending guns to each other would be criminals. And it's not just a background check required, it requires a letter from law enforcement to allow for that transfer. This law is all about creating burdens and legal landmines for gun owners and is blatantly unconstitutional and tyrannical.

It's also a good example of why direct democracy always leads to tyranny.
You don't understand the bill. Read it again or have someone that's educated both read and explain it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies