Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

A lot of conflicting explanations on what the bill will do and what it won't. There's only one way to find out for yourselves..... go read it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I doubt you want your neighbor to be able to access your medical records and find out that you were once treated for depression
Neither does the medical community. It will tend to keep people from getting treatment.

You know what? If I have a mental condition that would bar me from obtaining a gun.... then I won't get one!

Do I want my potential employer to know that I have a criminal record? No.

Do I want my potential landlord to know that I was evicted? No.

But guess what? They have a business to know even if I personal don't want them to. I want a job, I want a home, and that's the information that is provided to them.

Same goes if I want a gun.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Something tells me that you don't really know what this bill does or how far reaching it really is. You just heard "background checks" and went with it...

Are you aware that it outlaws transfers of firearms that have not been approved by a background check? As a "life-long gun enthusiast", no doubt you've shown one of your guns to a family member or friend at some point and let them hold it. Did you run a background check on them first? Well if I-594 passes, you'll have to, otherwise, you both become instant criminals.

Were you aware that this law does this? Please read the bill.
LIAR!!!

This is a complete and utter LIE!

Letting your friend hold your gun is PERFECTLY legal still. Nothing has changed. What you wrote is simply NOT TRUE.

This is what the bill says:
Quote:
"Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to
another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment
including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.
Have someone with at least a sixth grade reading level explain to you what it means.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The minute I saw you use the phrase "gun nuts" I was pretty certain that you were misrepresenting the law.

I'm just soooooo shocked to see that to be the case.

I was paraphrasing what was reported in the newspaper.

Oh wait, that's right. The newspaper has a liberal bias right? Yup....

Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
LIAR!!!

This is a complete and utter LIE!

Letting your friend hold your gun is PERFECTLY legal still. Nothing has changed. What you wrote is simply NOT TRUE.

This is what the bill says:

Have someone with at least a sixth grade reading level explain to you what it means.
First and foremost, I'd refer you to the Terms and Services that you agreed to when signing up to use these forums. Personal attacks, such as calling someone a "LIAR"... are strictly forbidden.

Secondly, did it ever occur to you that I wasn't trying to misrepresent what the bill does, and that perhaps I was genuinely confused about the issue? If I'm wrong about it, I appreciate someone telling me so. Degrading my intelligence is unnecessary and won't help you to promote your positive view of the law.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You know what? If I have a mental condition that would bar me from obtaining a gun.... then I won't get one!

Do I want my potential employer to know that I have a criminal record? No.

Do I want my potential landlord to know that I was evicted? No.

But guess what? They have a business to know even if I personal don't want them to. I want a job, I want a home, and that's the information that is provided to them.

Same goes if I want a gun.
Tell it to the medical community. I believe we should have this conversation.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
First and foremost, I'd refer you to the Terms and Services that you agreed to when signing up to use these forums. Personal attacks, such as calling someone a "LIAR"... are strictly forbidden.

Secondly, did it ever occur to you that I wasn't trying to misrepresent what the bill does, and that perhaps I was genuinely confused about the issue? If I'm wrong about it, I appreciate someone telling me so. Degrading my intelligence is unnecessary and won't help you to promote your positive view of the law.

First of all, you accused another poster of just listening to "noises" and not knowing what the bill does. This inferred that you are familiar with the bill and by familiar, I don't necessary expect you to know every detail but at the very least, you would know the definition of "transfer" as defined by the bill.

When I accused you of being a lair, it was based on your inference that you know the bill well enough to accuse others of not having the same level of knowledge as you do. And yes, if you know the bill as well as you implied then for sure my accusation of "liar" is perfectly legitimate. Because the information you provided would make you a liar, pure and simple.

Now that I know you are not as well versed as the initial claim. I take back my "liar" claim. And Had I known that from the beginning, I would not have used that word.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Bloomberg & co chime in with a $1 million contribution to I-594.
$1M from Bloomberg group to background-check campaign | Local News | The Seattle Times

That makes at least $7 million in their war chest. And according to the article, the opposition has less than $100,000. The pro-gun-rights side has a competing initiative, I 591 which has raised about $1 million.

Hopefully some of that 591 money will be used to educate people on the problems with 594. I think the focus should be on defeating 594. If both of them pass, it's going to be a legal nightmare. Hopefully some out-of-state money will come in to 'no on 594' since Nanny Bloomberg intends to take this to other states that still allow private sales of guns.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Rich Boys trying to Change the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A lot of money to simply have the Supreme Court invalidate the law even if it passes.

I suppose they may be considering this target advertising.

Plus those Cities like Detroit and Chicago are realizing the benefit of armed citizens. Arizona has a relatively low crime rate because a gun culture is encouraged!

Every one forgets those Rich Boys , like gates live in a secure environment . The likely hood of someone breaking into the Gates Complex is not very likely!

But for the common citizen we live a very much different world and the Police on average takes 8 minutes to respond. Never mind if you live in a rural environment it will take 45 minutes sometimes for the Sheriff to get to you.

Think about that Mr. Gates?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
The dems/liberals will start to win on gun control when they have the big money to battle and defeat the gun activists. That's how you win in politics. You outspend the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies