Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Are they ignorant or just plain stupid?
Some are ignorant and some are simply unethical. It's not really any different than how they complained about Bush's deficits, Bush's use of drones, Republican threats to change the rules of the Senate, Republican gerrymandering, Republican obstructionism, etc while being fine with Obama's deficits, Obama's use of drones, changing the rules of the Senate themselves, Democrat gerrymandering after the previous census, and Democrats' refusal to pass a budget for several consecutive years.

They are interested in promoting their ideology. Whatever promotes their ideology is what they will do at any given time. That means insisting on respecting the constitutional right to an abortion while simultaneously restricting the constitutional right to own firearms. That means condemning the Republican Super PACs, while funding Obama's campaign with Super PACs. That means warning about the evils of the influence of the billionaire Koch brothers, while inviting billionaire George Soros to visit the White House multiple times.

Railing against the rich make them look like they are for the common man. Bragging about increases in the stock market makes them look like they are improving the economy. As long as they don't do both in the same sentence, they get away with contradictory positions while gaining a benefit from both. Just like they scored points in the 2012 election bragging about the success of American involvement in Iraq, while scoring points in the 2008 election by condemning American involvement in Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Prosperity comes from producing, not consuming.

Wanting to give people more money so they can "buy stuff" is nothing more than short term satisfaction.

We have gone from a producer nation to a consumer nation.
As a consumer nation the majority of jobs will be service related.
Service is a low paying industry..always has been and always will be.

And instead of worrying about what the next future industry will be that the US can get a leap on we spend time bickering about how to keep the lower classes "buying stuff".
What made our economy strong those years when we switched from manufacturing to service base economy was the purchaseing power of our workers. We seen a weaking of this start in the late 1970s when the trend of inequal pay startted. Wages of the upper income levels have risen in pay by leaps and bounds and the middle class and poor wages have stagnantted or gone down. The purchaseing power of middle class and poor is what runs our economic welbeing.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What made our economy strong those years when we switched from manufacturing to service base economy was the purchaseing power of our workers. We seen a weaking of this start in the late 1970s when the trend of inequal pay startted. Wages of the upper income levels have risen in pay by leaps and bounds and the middle class and poor wages have stagnantted or gone down. The purchaseing power of middle class and poor is what runs our economic welbeing.

Technology and the world catching up to us in educational attainment is what happened.
We were fat and happy and thought we'd always be on top.

Surprise...we're no longer that fat cat sitting on the top of the heap anymore.

The service economy that drove wealth was FIRE.
Now we're dealing with cashiers and burger flippers.

Quite a different level of service eh ?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I am, and I doubt that most people here know how a corporation functions....Many of you are corporate owners whether you know it or not...If you or your pension fund own equity or dividend stocks or mutual funds in these, then you are an owner.... Here is an average of how corporate funds are allocated....

Total corporate profits are distributed in three ways. One portion is used to pay corporate profits taxes.(40 to 50%) A second is undistributed corporate profits retained by corporations to finance capital investment. (30 to 35%) And a third is then paid out as dividends to shareholders, or corporate owners. (20 to 30%).....Now what is your problem?
There's quite a difference in being a CEO than in being a stock holder. I asked you were you a CEO. Need I explain to you what the CEO of a corporation is?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Technology and the world catching up to us in educational attainment is what happened.
We were fat and happy and thought we'd always be on top.

Surprise...we're no longer that fat cat sitting on the top of the heap anymore.
Exactly, but tech only catching up to the poor workers when reality says that todays computers can make business decisions and do bookkeeping etc, thus kind of eliminating the need for upper management positions, but guess what? The wages of this people keep rising and you don't see them on the unemployment line. Privilege.

I used to do the accounting, inventory and bookkeeping of my business as part of my duties. Now a computer does it.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You left out who sets the country's economic policies. Who dat?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Never mind that as you are in your 60's means you 'came of age' in a very prosperous time. I'm sure you made the most of your opportunities...but the opportunities were there.

Where are they now? Is some kid coming of age *now* supposed to do what you did minus those opportunities?

Ever think that maybe luck had quite a bit to do with your success?
No, luck had absolutely nothing to do with my success. Stupidity may have though. I may have simply been too stupid to realize that I might have failed. I never even thought I might fail. Failure was not an option or a consideration.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
There's quite a difference in being a CEO than in being a stock holder. I asked you were you a CEO. Need I explain to you what the CEO of a corporation is?
I am indeed CEO and president of a corporation, but I also hold shares in various corporations aside from my own....What is your problem, as I thought I had made that clear?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Lol what makes you think im not. Seriously, i believe in workhard and smart work, keeping away from things that bring you down, make good choices. These are just part of the success formula. The problem i have with the cons mindset is they think this is all that is needed in the success formula. Thats bogus. You need opportunity and this day and age opportunity is creatted by money. I own a small business and i beat my corporate competition in quality and service every year. Guess what? We are the poorest company. I can't complete in marketing as my corporate competition can, just can't afford it. Being hard working and ambitious can only take you so far. thats reality.
That's why I chose a service business. There is always opportunity in the service industry. Things always need repair and there is always new construction underway in either the residential, commercial, or industrial arenas.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Never mind that as you are in your 60's means you 'came of age' in a very prosperous time. I'm sure you made the most of your opportunities...but the opportunities were there.

Where are they now? Is some kid coming of age *now* supposed to do what you did minus those opportunities?

Ever think that maybe luck had quite a bit to do with your success?
18% mortgages ? High inflation ?
Hardly "prosperous" unless you had money and locked into CD's paying 18% interest.
Those starting out didn't and scrimped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies