Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well what's your solution to the next nutjob that shoots up a school? Hope he misses your kid while you hope there's an officer nearby?
So we should make it easy for said nutjob to bring that gun into school? Kids will still be shot and killed. Your gun isn't going to stop that. He'd already have shot a few before you realize what the hell is going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times
The answer obviously lies in the free market. Let schools set their own policies on if/ how many guns are permitted on campus, and let individuals choose whether they want their children on a gun-toting campus or not.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:44 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I specifically asked why the US has much higher murder rate than other rich, developed countries on earth?
Well, it might help me if you told me which countries you're referring to.

Might you be talking about Canada, a country with a population density equivalent to the state of California? Also, they just abolished their gun registry requirement a few years ago claiming it to be too costly and ineffective.

Possibly you're referring to the United Kingdom where their gun crime rates have doubled since they banned handguns in 1997? They have an extremely low gun crime rate and still do, but the fact those rates have doubled since their ban on handguns and semi-automatic rifles proves the ban has done nothing to curb gun crime.

Or maybe you're talking about Australia whose crime rates were already on a downward trend and after a brief spike after new legislation, continued that downward pattern after they implemented tougher controls in 1996?

How do you explain a country like Switzerland who has an even more pervasive and proliferated gun culture than we do, and not even half the crime rate?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
So we should make it easy for said nutjob to bring that gun into school? Kids will still be shot and killed. Your gun isn't going to stop that. He'd already have shot a few before you realize what the hell is going on

How are you going to know I have a fully loaded revolver in my boot?
How are you going to know a nut job intent to kill some kids, before he kills himself, isn't packing a .45 semi-auto?

Armed police at every entrance to the school?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Would you please knock off the pretense? If you're anti-gun, own up to it and quit posting ridiculous scenarios. If you're pro-gun, please quit posting insane scenarios as you're hurting our side more than helping.
I recognize his handle, he's anti-gun, or maybe a better description would be anti-carry. See, he wasn't able to convince anyone of the merits of his arguments when he was being truthful about which side he was on, so now he's pretending to be pro-gun so he can undermine the pro-gun argument with inferior logic..... It's called a false flag argument....

False flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well, it might help me if you told me which countries you're referring to.

Might you be talking about Canada, a country with a population density equivalent to the state of California? Also, they just abolished their gun registry requirement a few years ago claiming it to be too costly and ineffective.

Possibly you're referring to the United Kingdom where their gun crime rates have doubled since they banned handguns in 1997? They have an extremely low gun crime rate and still do, but the fact those rates have doubled since their ban on handguns and semi-automatic rifles proves the ban has done nothing to curb gun crime.

Or maybe you're talking about Australia whose crime rates were already on a downward trend and after a brief spike after new legislation, continued that downward pattern after they implemented tougher controls in 1996?

How do you explain a country like Switzerland who has an even more pervasive and proliferated gun culture than we do, and not even half the crime rate?
The thing is all of the rich industrialized nations have much lower murder rates than the us, being it a scarcely populated Canada and Australia and super dense japan and Germany. They are all much safer the US and have strict gun control. All of them. Is this purely coincidental in your mind? Lol

PS Switzerland has extremely strict gun control and England's murder rates are way below what they were when guns were banned there but I don't really expect you to know that

Old 09-10-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
The thing is all of the rich industrialized
nations have much lower murder rates than the us, being it a scarcely populated
Canada and Australia and super dense japan and Germany. They are all much safer
the US and have strict gun control. All of them. Is this purely coincidental in
your mind? Lol
The reasons for this vary greatly. Culture, population, employment rates..... everything plays a role. I tried to give you some insight in to why crime rates are lower in those countries in my last post, but in true anti-gun fashion, you pretend that facts that are inconvenient to your argument don't exist.

Quote:
and England's
murder rates are way below what they were when guns were banned there but I
don't really expect you to know that [
Well, nobody is going to know the facts that you just make up on the spot, except for you.....

UK gun owners - Telegraph

Quote:
But, on the other hand, the strict regulations have done nothing to stop the
trade in illegal guns. The weapon Reeve used was, after all, a handgun, which
no one has been allowed to own in this country since 1997...And, a cruel irony
this, gun crime has doubled since then.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-10-2014 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 12:53 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
Quote:
Easier than now? What right now is keeping said nutjob from bringing that gun into school? A strongly-worded code section gathering dust in the state archives?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,645 times
Quote:
You seem to know a lot about "nutjobs". Hmmmm.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Typical liberal nutjob reaction. Some parents are objecting to the constitutional right of fathers to bring weapons to their kid's elementary school functions.

What are they going to do if some other kid jumps up and starts pounding their child with a sheet of rolled up construction paper? Just sit there helplessly and let their child take a merciless beating?

This gentleman sums it up well:

No, we don't need angry white males bringing guns to school. I think he was less worried about his safety and more worried about making a scene, getting attention, and offending people. And look he did. Yay trolldad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies