Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Business? What are you talking about? I'm talking about torts.

I don't live in your magic libertarian land. I like being able to go to the government (the courts) if somebody were to harm me - and refused to listen to me and compensate me for my injuries - and having the government force them to make me whole.
I see. You're a communist... Just grab a gun and force them to do what you want.

No courts remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Business? What are you talking about? I'm talking about torts.

I don't live in your magic libertarian land. I like being able to go to the government (the courts) if somebody were to harm me - and refused to listen to me and compensate me for my injuries - and having the government force them to make me whole.
I wouldn't associate with any entity that didn't agree to participate in the dispute resolution organization prior to my interaction with them.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wouldn't associate with any entity that didn't agree to participate in the dispute resolution organization prior to my interaction with them.
What if you've never associated with the person or organization that harms you?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The extremity of rw corporate fawning is CLEARLY VISIBLE here...

when your child dies of lead poison from Melamine, products made in China, or a negligent landlord (esp Wall St owned complexes)

Turn off korporate media paid tv from Bank of Amerika.

RW people, if your child dies from lack mold or lead poisoning, do you give corporate greed mongers a free pass in a Court of Law......I highly doubt it.

THINK
Florida Defective Product Attorneys - Lead in Childrens Toys- Colling Gilbert

Environmental: Mold

If people had to take individual accountability for products they produce they might think twice. The vaccine courts already protect corps from liability. (Just look at the mercury and aluminum there.) Then there is mercury amalgam filings. It is interesting how they tell people not to eat tuna, but let all this other stuff slide. Most of which goes on without informed consent. Right up there with how the sun is killing you, but nuclear waste and fallout are swept under the rug.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Capping damages makes sense. For example, if an average person in the U.S. earns about 2.25 million in their entire lifetime, what would make the business liable for say 5 million if a person were disabled? In America, tort laws are used as lottery tickets by some. I have no problem for compensating someone for actual loss, but "paydays" have nothing to do with justice.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
What if you've never associated with the person or organization that harms you?
You mean what if a man leaves a screw on the ground after building an outhouse and then 3 weeks later I'm walking by and step on said screw?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You mean what if a man leaves a screw on the ground after building an outhouse and then 3 weeks later I'm walking by and step on said screw?
Sure, or you're walking down the street and some distracted driver (let's say he looked down to change the radio station) drives up on the sidewalk and hits you (let's say you end up having a leg amputated).

You then ask him to pay your medical bills, your lost wages (both from while you're hospitalized and due to the fact you can never work in your profession (let's say you're a roofer), for pain an suffering, for loss of life enjoyment (let's say you were an avid marathon runner - an activity you can no longer participate in), etc. What if he says "Life has risks and accidents. It sucks this happened to you, but I'm not giving you one damn cent."

In your world, I guess that's the end of it. He won't participate with any voluntary dispute resolution organization, so it's just tough luck for you.

In my world, I'd go to the government (the court) and ask the government to force him to give me money to make me whole if he's not willing to do it on his own accord.

Last edited by hammertime33; 09-16-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times
I find it difficult to understand how anyone cannot be concerned about the environment. Is it not in our own self-interest to see that we do not pollute the air and water - the very elements upon which all life depends - and preserve the land and sea that provides for our existence? Can there be anything more important? And, what about the future? - Can we be so selfish as not to be concerned about the quality of life of our own children and grandchildren? What will be their inheritance? Will they see us as good stewards of that which we only hold in trust? - Or will they curse us for wasting their birthright? Can we be so short-sighted as not to foresee the consequences of our actions - or so callous as not to care? Apparently so.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Nice cut & pasted wall of crap.
Sooooooooo, you had nothing to add, Noted.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Sure, or you're walking down the street and some distracted driver (let's say he looked down to change the radio station) drives up on the sidewalk and hits you (let's say you end up having a leg amputated).

You then ask him to pay your medical bills, your lost wages (both from while you're hospitalized and due to the fact you can never work in your profession (let's say you're a roofer), for pain an suffering, for loss of life enjoyment (let's say you were an avid marathon runner - an activity you can no longer participate in), etc. What if he says "Life has risks and accidents. It sucks this happened to you, but I'm not giving you one damn cent."

In your world, I guess that's the end of it. He won't participate with any voluntary dispute resolution organization, so it's just tough luck for you.

In my world, I'd go to the government (the court) and ask the government to force him to give me money to make me whole if he's not willing to do it on his own accord.
Let me flip the script on you a bit.

I understand the need by statists to run to government at the first sign of trouble but let's look at this scenario where the driver hits me on the sidewalk and my roofing career is over.

So he isn't a member of my dispute resolution organization? Fine. Even if he was and refused to "make me whole" the following is how I see it playing out.

First the disclaimer: this is how I would conduct my life and how I would try to influence my voluntary dispute resolution organization before the incident. Unlike statists, who just hand over their money, will, resources, power, etc. to the government without question, I would want to have a say in any hierarchical organization I voluntarily belong to. And unlike statists with their daddy government, I would expect my voluntary organizations to do as they are set up to do. Not just for me but for all members.

So...to the incident.

All I can do is strongly encourage my voluntary dispute resolution organization to put as much external pressure on this individual to make their life as hard as possible. How?

Simple. Within my voluntary dispute resolution organization let's say we have a doctor, a plumber, a roofer (me), a mechanic, and a barber. Just to name a few members. In our agreement we have a tenet that deals with situations like this. If a person, at fault in an accident such as this, does not want to make me whole the other members of the organization shun him and make his life miserable.

Without a mechanic his car is going to go downhill. A pipe freezes and bursts? He's on his own cuz my fellow member, the plumber, won't help him. Flu season? Good luck finding a doctor willing to help. And if the barber was the guy this outsider hit and refused to make whole? The roofer, me, isn't answering the phone when this outsider gets a hole in his roof.

This is how I would run my life. As you can see, it would be very beneficial to be in a voluntary dispute resolution organization. With this system of checks and balances and efforts by the members to shun/discourage a rogue individual from not doing "the right thing" I'm very confident the overwhelming majority of people would be willing to cooperate.

See how this is different from your thug-government Gestapo? We don't punish people on what they may do. We don't force a man to "do the right thing" or imprison/kill him.

You're right. This offender may not succumb to the pressure and make me whole. As long as the folks in the voluntary organization follow the laws we've made (and it's their choice...want out...you're out) I find it hard to believe we'd have an outrageous number of rogue people going it alone. Sociopaths, psychopaths...sure. I bet they'd throw a monkey wrench or two in. These folks would be few and wouldn't last long without help from others.

Plus, and this is key, while initiating force is a huge no-no it is perfectly fine to use retaliatory force against one who iniatiates force against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies