Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Let me flip the script on you a bit.

I understand the need by statists to run to government at the first sign of trouble but let's look at this scenario where the driver hits me on the sidewalk and my roofing career is over.

So he isn't a member of my dispute resolution organization? Fine. Even if he was and refused to "make me whole" the following is how I see it playing out ...

All I can do is strongly encourage my voluntary dispute resolution organization to put as much external pressure on this individual to make their life as hard as possible. How?

Simple. Within my voluntary dispute resolution organization let's say we have a doctor, a plumber, a roofer (me), a mechanic, and a barber. Just to name a few members. In our agreement we have a tenet that deals with situations like this. If a person, at fault in an accident such as this, does not want to make me whole the other members of the organization shun him and make his life miserable.

Without a mechanic his car is going to go downhill. A pipe freezes and bursts? He's on his own cuz my fellow member, the plumber, won't help him. Flu season? Good luck finding a doctor willing to help. And if the barber was the guy this outsider hit and refused to make whole? The roofer, me, isn't answering the phone when this outsider gets a hole in his roof.
What if the harm was done by somebody visiting from a distance geographical location completely separated from the members of your voluntary dispute resolution organization? What if the guy who hit you and caused the loss of your leg and your livelihood was visiting from 1000 miles away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What if the harm was done by somebody visiting from a distance geographical location completely separated from the members of your voluntary dispute resolution organization? What if the guy who hit you and caused the loss of your leg and your livelihood was visiting from 1000 miles away?
Ah, the beauty of technology. We already have Craigslist, Angie's List, etc.

In leftist libertarian land reputation is everything.

It's this simple:

FreeD market regulation is a much more practical and superior check on companies/people instead of government regulation because companies/people have to take precautions/take actions to protect their reputation. The rest of us can observe and also have the ability to opt out with our money or shun the individual. This paradigm does not exist with the government. There is NO pressure on the government because you surrendered your will, power, money, resources by...well...being born.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:07 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I would prefer we not cap damages, but limit punitive damages given to the victims. Perhaps cap punitive to victim at 2x actual, with any awards over and above going towards fighting whatever the wrong was. If toxic, for example, all $ above 2x go to the EPA or other orgs of that nature.

That maintains the fear corps have of crossing lines, while not unduly rewarding the plantiff.
Yes, I believe most tort reform is in regards to punitive damages.

I also feel that the bulk punitive damages should go to address the problem and also not be part of the lawyer's fee. So if $10 million in punitive damages goes to address the "problem" or to a program, the lawyers shouldn't get a percentage or fee from that $10 million.

In Texas people keep going on and on about how our tort reform "steels" money from victims and keeps them from receiving much in damages, which is complete and total nonsense/ignorance.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Try a look at the Mo Right to farm bill that just got passed. Opens the door to giant hog farms etc and guess what will happen to the little guy or those locals in the way?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Thanks for the thread and info dreamofmonterey-some useful idiots on here will defend nationless corporations no matter how much damage is inflicted on society at large.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Those pesky law suits.

Lets rig the system so that CERTAIN people can cause all the damage and harm through neglect that they want without fully being liable. Yeah, sounds great. Let's call it "tort reform" because you know Republican tools will eat it up. Just tell them that all law suits are frivolous.

Lawyers good!

Corporations bad!

How about you just don't buy that crap for your kid...you know, like an intelligent functioning adult.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
You're nothing but a paid shill, Ed!!
Stay on topic guy!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lawyers good!

Corporations bad!

How about you just don't buy that crap for your kid...you know, like an intelligent functioning adult.
How would you feel if you bought something not knowing it's harmful and your children became sick? Would you still have this attitude?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What is the libertarian take on tort law? Do they want it done away with completely?

Thanks for posting. They want it done away with until their infant dies of lead poisoning from china=mart toys made n Wal-Mart. Lead is toxic. And Chinese manufacturing allows it. So then can we deduce libertarians do give a tinkers dam* about their own children?????????????????

or is the answer more agenda pushing, and cynical

Limits on tort reform is for the 1% only. And I speak from experience as I TRULY speak for a best friend in Stage4 cancer. Corps. and their toxic coal slurry need to be sued. To the max.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thanks for posting. They want it done away with until their infant dies of lead poisoning from china=mart toys made n Wal-Mart. Lead is toxic. And Chinese manufacturing allows it. So then can we deduce libertarians do give a tinkers dam* about their own children?????????????????

or is the answer more agenda pushing, and cynical

Limits on tort reform is for the 1% only. And I speak from experience as I TRULY speak for a best friend in Stage4 cancer. Corps. and their toxic coal slurry need to be sued. To the max.
Plenty still suffering from Chinese drywall issues also.

A bit off topic, but in regards to your friend, maybe of interest.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/36537884-post297.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies