Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Whenever the debate comes up on the minimum wage, detractors automatically say that it's risky to raise the minimum wage as it could increase prices and unemployment.
They automatically say that because it's true.
Quote:
What they fail to acknowledge or ignore for that matter is that these adverse effects take place with wage hikes in other industries.
They fail to acknowledge that because it's nonsense. The minimum wage is government mandated wages in opposition to the free market. The other is not. They are not in any way whatsoever comparable.
Quote:
Why do you think higher education tuition have ballooned?
Because after decades of the government guaranteeing student loans there is no more market competition in higher education. It's like this. The government is going to buy you a new car. It's your choice whether you want a Toyota or a Mercedes. The government will pay for either one. Which do you choose? Obviously you're going to choose the Mercedes. Now the government offers the same thing to twenty million other people. Do you really think the Mercedes dealers aren't going to raise their prices in response to millions of people wanting their cars?
Quote:
Why are healthcare costs through the roof?
See above. It is the same situation. The government in the 1930s froze wages. That means companies could not compete for the best employees by offering more pay. So they started offering health insurance instead. Now you're in the same circumstance as the Toyota versus the Mercedes. Where is the incentive to get efficient, low cost medical care when it's the insurance company paying for it and not you?
Quote:
The same adverse effects you see with a minimum wage increase is also visible with wage hikes in other sectors of the economy.
No, it isn't. You're comparing completely and totally different circumstances. One is the federal government mandating wage increases regardless of market value. The other is the federal government flooding the market with money. Do both result in price increases? Yes. But the mechanism of how and why the prices go up are completely different. You're also wrong in your attempt to level charges of hypocrisy on people, because if you notice the same people who complain about raising the minimum wage are the people who complain about out-of-control deficit spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 09:10 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They automatically say that because it's true.
They fail to acknowledge that because it's nonsense. The minimum wage is government mandated wages in opposition to the free market. The other is not. They are not in any way whatsoever comparable.
Because after decades of the government guaranteeing student loans there is no more market competition in higher education. It's like this. The government is going to buy you a new car. It's your choice whether you want a Toyota or a Mercedes. The government will pay for either one. Which do you choose? Obviously you're going to choose the Mercedes. Now the government offers the same thing to twenty million other people. Do you really think the Mercedes dealers aren't going to raise their prices in response to millions of people wanting their cars?
See above. It is the same situation. The government in the 1930s froze wages. That means companies could not compete for the best employees by offering more pay. So they started offering health insurance instead. Now you're in the same circumstance as the Toyota versus the Mercedes. Where is the incentive to get efficient, low cost medical care when it's the insurance company paying for it and not you?
No, it isn't. You're comparing completely and totally different circumstances. One is the federal government mandating wage increases regardless of market value. The other is the federal government flooding the market with money. Do both result in price increases? Yes. But the mechanism of how and why the prices go up are completely different. You're also wrong in your attempt to level charges of hypocrisy on people, because if you notice the same people who complain about raising the minimum wage are the people who complain about out-of-control deficit spending.
I'm not gonna address every point in your post.

But occupational licensing and restrictive immigration are violations of the free market. They are both government mandated collusion on the free market.

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 09-21-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Not so fast there pardner.

Wages in this country have much more to with Supply and Demand than Skill Based Pay.
Especially, in a ever increasing global market where there are billions of others that can do your job.
That is what happens in a Globalist Utopia with a Corporate Owned Government with no National Protections for the common American. But there are plenty of protections for them abroad at tax payer expense.
Protectionism is also completely ineffective.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I sense a widespread support for increasing the minimum wage...it's time.
I sense a widespread support for the idea that everyone can be given everything they want, if they just vote for it. What's more amazing, is those who claim to be smart continue to peddle that idea. They (and you) have to know what you argue is bad and false, but if it keeps buying votes, you continue to advocate it.

It's something about integrity being entirely missing on the left...

Old 09-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Protectionism is also completely ineffective.
Are you a US citizen working in the US? If yeah, then you are a beneficiary of protectionism.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Are you a US citizen working in the US? If yeah, then you are a beneficiary of protectionism.
False.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
False.
It's not. Because I'm sure someone in Bangladesh or Nigeria for that matter can do your job for a fraction of your pay.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It's not. Because I'm sure someone in Bangladesh or Nigeria for that matter can do your job for a fraction of your pay.
Maybe your job. But not mine. What are you, a politician or a university professor? Lawyer?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Not so fast there pardner.

Wages in this country have much more to with Supply and Demand than Skill Based Pay.
Especially, in a ever increasing global market where there are billions of others that can do your job.
That is what happens in a Globalist Utopia with a Corporate Owned Government with no National Protections for the common American. But there are plenty of protections for them abroad at tax payer expense.
Supply and Demand in regards to wages is mainly in professional careers, for example I couldn't apply at McDonalds and negotiate a salary as there is plenty of unskilled workers out there they can pay, but when a company like Apple is attempting to attract top talent which is truly needed to stay afloat they'll have to negotiate. That Apple employ they're trying to hire, or that Doctor who went Johns Hopkins have to be negotiated as there talent can go elsewhere, that cannot be said about most minimum wage employees which complicates the argument of raising the minimum wage.

Luckily, I guess, I've never received minimum wage but I've been damn near close to it; I understand the struggles of it but I do have an inherit fear ALTHOUGH it may not come to this for the positions I was in but more so others, that if the minimim wage went up SOMEBODY is getting cut. Now I've argued this with my co-workers before of course, some day and logically so that "raising the minimum wage will make companies more selective in who they choose and we, the consumer, win in that deal." which I guess is different than the conventional argument stating "it raises people out of poverty when raising the minimum wage." But then I think, while I hate for my meal to be messed up, I'd rather have a mistake every once in a while and have people who are in their teens have a job as opposed to damn near perfection with older/more experienced people taking those jobs.

I don't know, I HAVE no debate over tying minimum wage to inflation but I'm not sure if it's the time at the FEDERAL LEVEL to say "this is the wage and you'll like it." Of course states and local municipalities can raise it own their own as well though but with that said I don't believe raising the minimum wage to $10.10 makes the US less competitive, what foreign company is looking to hire minimum wage workers?

I also believe that here in the US our culture needs to change especially those who are investors, taking a fairly minuscule hit in profits isn't the end of the world. Companies should be able to raise their wages on their own and take a small hit in profits for it to pay further dividends in the future with increased performance from workers, more loyal consumers, etc. But I don't want to DEMAND them to raise their wages, but giving them an incentive to do so would be wise.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Supply and Demand in regards to wages is mainly in professional careers, for example I couldn't apply at McDonalds and negotiate a salary as there is plenty of unskilled workers out there they can pay, but when a company like Apple is attempting to attract top talent which is truly needed to stay afloat they'll have to negotiate. That Apple employ they're trying to hire, or that Doctor who went Johns Hopkins have to be negotiated as there talent can go elsewhere, that cannot be said about most minimum wage employees which complicates the argument of raising the minimum wage.

Luckily, I guess, I've never received minimum wage but I've been damn near close to it; I understand the struggles of it but I do have an inherit fear ALTHOUGH it may not come to this for the positions I was in but more so others, that if the minimim wage went up SOMEBODY is getting cut. Now I've argued this with my co-workers before of course, some day and logically so that "raising the minimum wage will make companies more selective in who they choose and we, the consumer, win in that deal." which I guess is different than the conventional argument stating "it raises people out of poverty when raising the minimum wage." But then I think, while I hate for my meal to be messed up, I'd rather have a mistake every once in a while and have people who are in their teens have a job as opposed to damn near perfection with older/more experienced people taking those jobs.

I don't know, I HAVE no debate over tying minimum wage to inflation but I'm not sure if it's the time at the FEDERAL LEVEL to say "this is the wage and you'll like it." Of course states and local municipalities can raise it own their own as well though but with that said I don't believe raising the minimum wage to $10.10 makes the US less competitive, what foreign company is looking to hire minimum wage workers?

I also believe that here in the US our culture needs to change especially those who are investors, taking a fairly minuscule hit in profits isn't the end of the world. Companies should be able to raise their wages on their own and take a small hit in profits for it to pay further dividends in the future with increased performance from workers, more loyal consumers, etc. But I don't want to DEMAND them to raise their wages, but giving them an incentive to do so would be wise.
Is this why Silicon Valley firms are lobbying for immigration reform? Engineers are expensive and in most cases overpaid relative to their skills. You have programmers in India who are capable of doing the same programming tasks that your six figure Apple or Microsoft software engineer gets paid to do. If borders were to ever open, you'll see an oversupply of engineering skills. The same goes for the medical field. The AMA lobby to limit the number of doctors in order to artificially inflate the salaries of incumbent medical professionals. American professionals have for the longest enjoyed premium pay, but as the developing world gets educated and skilled, they find their pay premium threatened just like how the pay premium of manual labor jobs have waned in the last generation or two due to globalization and outsourcing.

Newsflash: The United States is no longer the shining light on the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies