Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They automatically say that because it's true.
They fail to acknowledge that because it's nonsense. The minimum wage is government mandated wages in opposition to the free market. The other is not.
Ummm...markets respond to economic activity. Markets could give a rat's ass whether wages are mandated or not. Rising wages are felt equally whether given freely or mandated by government.

The OP has an excellent point, but I've yet to read it addressed by anyone. The only difference between a mandated wage increase and a voluntary increase is in a company's ability to plan. Outside of that, a $1 raise is a $1 raise, regardless of the methods used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, what is your solution....more unions to scare away businesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We could, in theory, have a thriving and growing steel industry in the USA and many other well paying jobs. Just keep away the union-thug demands and it could happen.

There is really no such thing as a "union shop".......it is more accurately termed "forced union membership shop"

Guess what, it is a viciously competitive task to attract and maintain decent jobs in this global business environment..........a company and its employees/potential employees should never be forced to give into union thuggery.

As for some broke dolt who starts a family.....wow, does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that is not a good idea.
I've read about ten posts tonight, and this is the third that uses the word "thug." Could you guys please come up with another term?

My company has 12 plants in North America. Two are unionized. Wanna guess which plants pay their workers the most? If someone doesn't want to join a union, that's fine by me. Just don't expect to receive the pay and benefits that union members enjoy.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
apparently you are forgetting some definitions

min wage is for UNSKILLED labor

GOVERNMENT/union mandating a raise is wrong

the other wage hikes...????.........based on performance and job negotiation...between employee and employer

want to scare a union guy or a liberal.........mention the phrase """"pay for performance""""
My union contract had performance bonuses written into it. Nobody was scared.

Definitions have no effect on inflation and unemployment, so what exactly is your point?

What if your employer is a thug? What then?

Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, what is your solution....more unions to scare away businesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We could, in theory, have a thriving and growing steel industry in the USA and many other well paying jobs. Just keep away the union-thug demands and it could happen.

There is really no such thing as a "union shop".......it is more accurately termed "forced union membership shop"

Guess what, it is a viciously competitive task to attract and maintain decent jobs in this global business environment..........a company and its employees/potential employees should never be forced to give into union thuggery.

As for some broke dolt who starts a family.....wow, does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that is not a good idea.
I make no claim to a solution. Just relating what my experience has been. I don't see where what was lost is coming back or is going to be regained. It didn't leave overnight and if it did return it wouldn't happen overnight either.
To me it's the same mindset as any gambler has. He's lost everything at the table. If he can get a loan from some loan shark and get back into the game he just knows he can win it all back. But in the end he looses what he was loaned and now has a debt to pay. The debt we have to pay now is the lower wage service jobs.

The average Chinese worker could get 3 times what he earns now and we still couldn't compete and live indoors. I don't see anything on the horizon that is going to change that.

Obama promised green jobs. The only thing that turned green was anyone who held their breath waiting for them. Others will make promises too. With no obligation to keep them. We become more like livestock every year scrounging around for a blade of grass in an over grazed pasture. The one constant is change. It will get better or it will get worse.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Ummm...markets respond to economic activity. Markets could give a rat's ass whether wages are mandated or not. Rising wages are felt equally whether given freely or mandated by government.

The OP has an excellent point, but I've yet to read it addressed by anyone. The only difference between a mandated wage increase and a voluntary increase is in a company's ability to plan. Outside of that, a $1 raise is a $1 raise, regardless of the methods used.
I disagree...
a mandated wage (government or union) is an across the board wage increase for that level...regardless of ABILLITY (SKILL) or PERFORMANCE

a voluntary raise based on annual/semi-annual/quarterly reviews is based on performance

why should the worst mechanic in town get paid the same as the best mechanic in town

""""pay for performance""" is a term/phrase that scares liberals and union thugs

Old 09-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
My union contract had performance bonuses written into it. Nobody was scared.

Definitions have no effect on inflation and unemployment, so what exactly is your point?

What if your employer is a thug? What then?
then you walk...find a better job

are you going to work for an ass that doesn't appreciate your work and pay you based on performance....nope

yes SOME union contracts have a performance BONUS in them...but the across the board, "we get a raise or we strike" pay increase...is just bullcrap

if your a pooor worker..you will get written up, and wont get a raise...why...because you DONT DESERVE ONE....you might get fired though

Old 09-23-2014, 05:07 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
So, move to Switzerland. You seem to believe it's wonderful.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
apparently you are forgetting some definitions

min wage is for UNSKILLED labor

GOVERNMENT/union mandating a raise is wrong

the other wage hikes...????.........based on performance and job negotiation...between employee and employer

want to scare a union guy or a liberal.........mention the phrase """"pay for performance""""

Then tell employers to stop hiring college graduates for minimum wage jobs.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then tell employers to stop hiring college graduates for minimum wage jobs.
excused me???

since when does a book education equal a skill

who bob goes to secondary school to get an English degree.....

lot of good that is going to do bob as he peruses a computer programing job....

and less than 8% of ALL min wage workers (which is less than 2% of ALL workers) have some college

I know plenty of people who are book smart...but not mechanically inclined

Old 09-23-2014, 09:37 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It doesn't matter. They still get premium pay. How about allowing foreign doctors in to compete with domestic ones? You think the AMA would allow that?#Protectionism
So first you claim that increases in medical costs were due to increases in medical wages.
Now you say it doesn't matter if wages went up or not.

You previously conceded that after first stating that higher education costs went up due to wages is instead subject to debate.

So essentially, your initial OP you now admit was faulty when presented with actual information showing otherwise....but you now claim that none of that matters.

#mostironicpostername
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies