Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

You are never safe in a truly free country.
^ unusual comment.

Are people safer in a country without freedoms?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
More "workplace violence" in Obama's eyes, no doubt.

SMH at the fools who voted for this administration twice.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Actually many of those men used religion as a reason for these feelings.

My grandfather, for instance, once told me that the curse/mark that God put on Cain and his descendants was to make them black, that all black people were therefore killers, as was Cains sin.

This was common in the south of his time. While views like that are dying out now, the racism is still rampant in many conversations, its just held behind closed doors and at poker games now.

And there are parts of Eastern Europe that are being taken back over by Russia, are they not? This was not so long ago. As I said, yes, there was a racial aspect, but it was also tied to religion to justify the beheadings, crucifying people, hanging them, burning them, and any other way they could kill black men in a horrible fashion as to show other blacks "their place" as seen by whites, and their God.
Yes, they have been taken back over, so it's changed twice - lots of change in 50 - 60 years. Now, go find a link about serial beheadings within the past 13 years in the name of the Baptist religion if you think your argument about this incident has merit in today's world.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Am I the only person who finds this extremely disturbing and terrifying? I remember growing up thinking how savage beheading was and that our modern day society couldn't go back to such brutality. Now it's here.

On a morbid level, doesn't it take awhile to behead someone? You have to cut through lots of thick neck muscle and bone. Why did it take so long to stop this guy?
Society can break down within 24 hours. Its an illusion. Ask any good survival expert, or anyone interested in the topic.

If we lost electricity, nationwide, for more then a day or two, see how quickly things revert to our more animalistic tendencies.

Look at New Orleans after Katrina as an example.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US has been the most diverse country in the world,since its inception.
Could you explain that a little? Diverse in what way, at our founding? Please be specific and cite text from any of our founding documents, or letters and speeches of the Founders.

What kind of "diversity" existed in Colonial America?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
There's nothing that I could say about this that wouldn't get me banned from this site.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, the situation may be more of a mental illness issue than Muslim.
Ya think?
Those who trend towards extremism are usually emotionally unstable.

This radical Islamic recruiting drive appeals to wackjobs.

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Yes, they have been taken back over, so it's changed twice - lots of change in 50 - 60 years. Now, go find a link about serial beheadings within the past 13 years in the name of the Baptist religion if you think your argument about this incident has merit in today's world.
The arabs have never stopped this practice. Its been common there for sometime. Its just a backwards part of the world.

Dictators and Kings have kept the place in line. A blind eye was turned towards the south after reconstruction, which was why there was no mass media coverage of what was going on down here until the 1960's.

Even with dictators and kings controlling that region of the world, the middle east, there were beheadings and murders in the name of religion. They simply haven't caught up to the rest of the world. Some would say that the dictators and kings kept them from catching up to the rest of the world. But let me ask you this, if there was no oil in the middle east, what would be their number one export and industry? There isn't one. Thats their issue.

Just like rural areas of Africa, they have atrocities that we never hear about. Women having their breasts cut off with knives after being gang raped. Happens everyday in subsahara Africa, but they aren't Americans they are happening to, and it doesn't make for good TV.

I see the middle east for what it is. They have oil, instability in the market threatens the economics of powerful nations, so when a few nut jobs go crazy, we step in. Take away the power of the oil from the region, and people simply won't care anymore.

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Society can break down within 24 hours. Its an illusion. Ask any good survival expert, or anyone interested in the topic.

If we lost electricity, nationwide, for more then a day or two, see how quickly things revert to our more animalistic tendencies.

Look at New Orleans after Katrina as an example.
Most people just don't believe it would decline so quickly, or don't want to. It does depend on where your local is. Rural northern Michigan probably would not fall apart , while downtown Detroit would within a couple of days.

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
No no no, not society. Muslims are obsessed with beheadings. No wonder gun sales are skyrocketing in this country.
I think I may have to become a pig farmer. Muslims hate pigs, and won't even go near the animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies