Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Soon as those cell phones start shutting down teens will start jumping out windows, just kidding they might cry for a while first.
Think for a week or two and the scenario gets far worse, and go for more than that and many cities would simply run with blood and burn. We are one EMP pulse from chaos and total melt down. Read the book One Second After by William R. Forstchen, it is a pretty accurate account of how the world could change for us from that sort of event, which can also happen by a large enough Solar Flare as well a device set off on purpose. It can be very eye opening and can also help one think about what they should do when thinking about being prepared, it is the little things that we will miss, would anyone want to go back to a time when T-Tissue is no longer available
I'm still waiting for the three sea shells from "demolition man"

I agree with you, an EMP or solar flare of significant size would cause mass chaos for most people. Without the grocery store, society would simply break down within 3 days of people running out of food.

Of course, as the song goes, a country boy can survive, and I'm certainly glad my father and grandfather taught me how to hunt, fish, and live off the land when/if needed.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Don't get all upset, it turns out the guys was simply Nuts and we all know you cannot simply fire a nutcase. Just be thankful he did not have a gun, otherwise the discussion here would be one that has happened far too many times every time some idiot shoots others. Personally I believe it is time to register all knives along with background checks, or may we should go ahead and ban all knives in the name of public safety.
Dang! Its going to make it hard to eat steaks! Got to close them down too! No knives! No meat for that matter!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
A highly hypothetical question. If he had been a 90-year-old great-grandmother, would my reaction be the same? No. But then again, that says more about the unlikelihood of that hypothetical scenario. Just like your example with Baptists. Have you ever heard of ISIS? If Baptists were going around doing what ISIS is doing, or if Baptist fundamentalists flew planes into the WTC, etc., etc., and the killer was a Baptist, then yes, I would probably point out the connection, just as I have with Muslims.
How about if it was a Jesus freak? Some black guy with Jesus tattoos?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Don't know of mass beheading but certainly atrocities. Those were racial versus based on their religion. There is a big difference in motive between committing a crime and also being of a religion versus because of the religion. It's disingenous to equate the two when discussing the status of a "religion of peace."
It takes quite an effort to consider Islam a religion of peace nowadays.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
It takes quite an effort to consider Islam a religion of peace nowadays.
What percentage of Muslims are committing atrocities?

The answer, around 1% of the entire Muslim world.

As many have said, including many Muslims this time, these ISIS extremists are heretics.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,640 times
Islam is the religion of PIECE.........The head piece over there and the body piece over here.....!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Am I the only person who finds this extremely disturbing and terrifying? I remember growing up thinking how savage beheading was and that our modern day society couldn't go back to such brutality. Now it's here.

On a morbid level, doesn't it take awhile to behead someone? You have to cut through lots of thick neck muscle and bone. Why did it take so long to stop this guy?
I am guessing it was because the coworkers who heard her screams remained safely behind locked doors as directed by the 911 dispatcher. Certainly a group of people armed with chairs and other office furniture easily converted into projectiles could've distracted/overtaken this guy armed with a knife.

Would you risk a slashing to save a life? I like to think I would and I am a 5 foot 115 pound 60 year old woman.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How about if it was a Jesus freak? Some black guy with Jesus tattoos?
But it wasn't, was it? It was a Muslim trying to convert others to the Muslim faith. Stay on point, and talk about what it actually is and was.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Society can break down within 24 hours. Its an illusion. Ask any good survival expert, or anyone interested in the topic.

If we lost electricity, nationwide, for more then a day or two, see how quickly things revert to our more animalistic tendencies.

Look at New Orleans after Katrina as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Most people just don't believe it would decline so quickly, or don't want to. It does depend on where your local is. Rural northern Michigan probably would not fall apart , while downtown Detroit would within a couple of days.
You are absolutely correct - I lived in a City of a little more than 200,000 in 1970. We were hit by a Hurricane that caused flooding, tons of damage, buildings destroyed and a power outage that lasted almost 2 weeks.

New Orleans and the State of Louisiana had a totally incompetent Government filled with Democrats. My City and State were also filled with Democrats - BUT, they were not incompetent. A mandatory curfew was in place by the time that the storm had passed. Anyone (no excuses) on the streets after 6pm would go directly to jail. The National Guard was called out and on their way by the time the storm arrived. No riots, almost no looting and no "breakdown of society".

The "local" where you live is becoming more and more important.
It's not much in the news anymore, but they are still rioting in Ferguson, MO - a lot of people were arrested again last night. Robberies in the name of 'Michael Brown' -- no loss of electricity, just a failed Society of their own making.

This beheading in a town of 34,000 in Oklahoma doesn't have anything to do with "failed Society" or loss of electricity - it has to do with ONE man who thought it was a good idea to become a Head Chopper. It's certainly reasonable to question the "break down" of a Justice system that sentenced him to prison for 2 years and then let him out within a matter of months.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I am guessing it was because the coworkers who heard her screams remained safely behind locked doors as directed by the 911 dispatcher. Certainly a group of people armed with chairs and other office furniture easily converted into projectiles could've distracted/overtaken this guy armed with a knife.

Would you risk a slashing to save a life? I like to think I would and I am a 5 foot 115 pound 60 year old woman.
How did they know he wasn't armed to the teeth with semiautomatic rifles?

I don't blame those folks at all for what they did. I know I couldn't stand by and listen to someone, especially a woman, get beheaded without doing something myself. Now if I had my children with me, I'd protect them first, but I just couldn't stand there and do nothing. I've stepped between a man who hit his wife in a bar while others just sat there and watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies