Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Only government can grant you the privilege to get married.
Only government can deny that privilege.
Nothing can stop you from common law marriage... Nothing.

God doesn't need legal documentation. Just a commitment.
Government needs the legal document to recognize you.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then why does the first amendment directly contradict the first commandment?
Freedom of religion / no gods before me.
Wow, that's a stretch!

In the first place, the First Amendment reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." It is addressed to Congress, and the establishment of a State religion (as Virginia had done, that religion being Episcopalian). It is talking about the Christian religion and the various Christian sects. Period! The First Amendment was to protect the church from government refusing to recognize any church but one (as in England, where the Church of England was the officially recognized church — which is why so many fled to the "new world" to escape persecution — the "Puritans" who wanted to "purify" the Church of England (why they were called "Puritans"), and other Christians who did not agree with the teachings of the Church of England.

The First Amendment in no way "contradicts" the First Commandment! How did you ever come up with that?

Quote:
Why do our laws allow for divorce in any situation? Your god says that is a no no.
Is man perfect? Are you perfect? God said a lot of things that man is incapable of obeying, and just as divorce was allowed in biblical times (even though God didn't like it) our laws have allowed it too. The Founders did not set about to establish a theocracy, but a Constitutional Republic.

Quote:
Why do we allow red lobster to be open for business? Your god says shellfish are an abomination.
Oh, please!!!! That was for the Jews, and it was part of their law, which Jesus abolished for believers. You really are clueless when it comes to bible knowledge. You have none.

Quote:
Why can I go into any grocery store in town and buy a pound of bacon? Your god says that is taboo.
Please! Same response as above.

Quote:
Why were some men and all women counted as lesser than under our laws? Well, nevermind, your god did too.
It's hard to argue with ignorance. You don't even understand American History! You really need to do some studying, because you are totally clueless. Go do some research and find out why slaves were counted as they were. There was a very good reason, and it wasn't because they were thought to be "lesser" (as you put it).

Quote:
Why did we change our laws to ban slavery? Your god is A-OK with it and even gives rules for slave owners.
Where does it say in scripture that God is "A-OK" with slavery? It doesn't! You are assuming.

The Founders understood that slavery was wrong, but they could not have achieved ratification of the Constitution by banning slavery all at once.

Go take a Constitution course. You might learn something. (I did.)

Quote:
Why is there no law against coveting? Our free market system would collapse if it weren't for people wanting what the Joneses have.
Please. That is just plain stupid! To say that is an example of covetousness is beyond stupid. Having a desire to improve ones standard of living, and to want nicer "stuff" than one currently has, is not "covetousness." It is most often out of love of ones family, and the desire to make life better for ones loved ones, as well as ones self.

Do you own a dictionary?

Besides, you have totally misrepresented what I meant when I said our laws are grounded in scripture (or whatever i said) and the English Common Law, which also were grounded in the Bible. I did not say, nor did I imply that the Founders sought to establish a theocracy, which seems to be what you are accusing me of saying.

Next time, do some serious thinking and some research or study before making a complete fool of yourself.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

The law (government) can certainly stop you from having a recognized common law marriage.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wow, that's a stretch!

In the first place, the First Amendment reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." It is addressed to Congress, and the establishment of a State religion (as Virginia had done, that religion being Episcopalian). It is talking about the Christian religion and the various Christian sects. Period! The First Amendment was to protect the church from government refusing to recognize any church but one (as in England, where the Church of England was the officially recognized church — which is why so many fled to the "new world" to escape persecution — the "Puritans" who wanted to "purify" the Church of England (why they were called "Puritans"), and other Christians who did not agree with the teachings of the Church of England.

The First Amendment in no way "contradicts" the First Commandment! How did you ever come up with that?

Is man perfect? Are you perfect? God said a lot of things that man is incapable of obeying, and just as divorce was allowed in biblical times (even though God didn't like it) our laws have allowed it too. The Founders did not set about to establish a theocracy, but a Constitutional Republic.

Oh, please!!!! That was for the Jews, and it was part of their law, which Jesus abolished for believers. You really are clueless when it comes to bible knowledge. You have none.

Please! Same response as above.

It's hard to argue with ignorance. You don't even understand American History! You really need to do some studying, because you are totally clueless. Go do some research and find out why slaves were counted as they were. There was a very good reason, and it wasn't because they were thought to be "lesser" (as you put it).

Where does it say in scripture that God is "A-OK" with slavery? It doesn't! You are assuming.

The Founders understood that slavery was wrong, but they could not have achieved ratification of the Constitution by banning slavery all at once.

Go take a Constitution course. You might learn something. (I did.)

Please. That is just plain stupid! To say that is an example of covetousness is beyond stupid. Having a desire to improve ones standard of living, and to want nicer "stuff" than one currently has, is not "covetousness." It is most often out of love of ones family, and the desire to make life better for ones loved ones, as well as ones self.

Do you own a dictionary?

Besides, you have totally misrepresented what I meant when I said our laws are grounded in scripture (or whatever i said) and the English Common Law, which also were grounded in the Bible. I did not say, nor did I imply that the Founders sought to establish a theocracy, which seems to be what you are accusing me of saying.

Next time, do some serious thinking and some research or study before making a complete fool of yourself.
So you're one of those cafeteria "christians"? YOU made the claim that our laws are based on the bible. I just showed you a handful that do not.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Most states do not recognize common law marriages anymore. Without that legal document the government will not recognize you as married the will recognize you as single.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
#nope

There is no such thing as a messianic Jew. Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies to be the messiah. Thus, every time you use your Bible to back your hatred, you are just proving more and more what a blasphemous belief you hold. When will you be turning your children over to DFCS? After all, if the children of gay and lesbian couples should be taken away for breaking a law in Leviticus when you ignore all others, CERTAINLY children of those who break the first commandment should be removed in short order.
Do you, as a Jew, keep the law perfectly? You can't. So you don't.

The scriptures, your bible, (what we call the "Old Testament") absolutely do point to the coming of a "savior," even named him "Emanuel," which means "God with us." Told us he would be from David's line (Christ is), born of a virgin, and told of how he would be hated, and be killed, the Lamb of God. Jesus is the Messiah, and he is God in the flesh. The "perfect sacrifice" for sin.

And, yes there are Messianic Jews. I have known many of them, and they have provided wonderful insight into the Old Testament scriptures. They have accepted Yeshua as savior and Lord.

The most fun we ever had was when they helped our church with a Seder. We did it as authentically as we could, even slaughtering a lamb.

And I think it was their son that asked the question, "Father, why is this night different from any other?"

Old 12-02-2014, 01:29 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,957 times
Quote:
For once Mississippi won't be last. Judge Reeves wrote a beautiful opinion on this case.

Judge overturns Mississippi same-sex marriage ban

Judges ruling.
[scribd]248258513[/scribd]

Now on to the 5th circuit.
DISGUSTING

Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
DISGUSTING
Exactly. Equal treatment under the law is disgusting.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wrong. Period. End of story.
As if your opinion matters more than mine!!!! LOL

Old 12-02-2014, 04:10 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Do you, as a Jew, keep the law perfectly? You can't. So you don't.

The scriptures, your bible, (what we call the "Old Testament") absolutely do point to the coming of a "savior," even named him "Emanuel," which means "God with us." Told us he would be from David's line (Christ is), born of a virgin, and told of how he would be hated, and be killed, the Lamb of God. Jesus is the Messiah, and he is God in the flesh. The "perfect sacrifice" for sin.

And, yes there are Messianic Jews. I have known many of them, and they have provided wonderful insight into the Old Testament scriptures. They have accepted Yeshua as savior and Lord.

The most fun we ever had was when they helped our church with a Seder. We did it as authentically as we could, even slaughtering a lamb.

And I think it was their son that asked the question, "Father, why is this night different from any other?"
By accepting a false messiah, they are no longer Jewish. They may follow Jewish customs, but so do 7th Day Adventists and in no way would anyone - themselves included - allude to any connection with Judaism.

Sure, the Torah points to the coming of a Savior. We're still waiting until one actually comes. Jesus wasn't it based on your own scripture.

What does my following the 713 commandments perfectly have anything to do with this thread? After all, it is you who wants to shun homosexuals on a religious basis, not me. Homosexuality is the same amount of sin as my infertility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies