Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sorry but the argument stands. It's logical. Yours isn't. End of story. You lose. Must suck to see your puritanical world crumble around you, eh?
Since I don't live in a "Puritanical" world, I wouldn't know; but you probably don't even know where the term "Puritan" came from, do you? I think it's safe for me to assume you don't. I doesn't mean what you think it means.

And no, your argument isn't logical at all. It is completely illogical. You cannot make the argument that this is a civil rights issue. It falls on it's face, because you are not being denied a "civil right." So, no, I don't lose. But nice try.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:36 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The detractors of interracial marriage used the line, you can marry whoever you want as long as its the same race. It is the exact same rationale that you are giving for banning same-sex marriage. Marry whoever you want as long as its the opposite sex.

If someone has different personal religious beliefs than you do, should we have laws based off their own personal religious beliefs? Or do we only make laws based off your personal religious beliefs?
Wrong. Homosexuality is not a race. It is a behavior. And further, as I already pointed out, those who wished to marry someone of a different race were not homosexuals. They were men and women.

You people are amazing. You will twist everything in an attempt to draw a comparison, no matter how absurd.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wrong. Homosexuality is not a race. It is a behavior. And further, as I already pointed out, those who wished to marry someone of a different race were not homosexuals. They were men and women.

You people are amazing. You will twist everything in an attempt to draw a comparison, no matter how absurd.
I never said homosexuality was a race. What I said is the argument made against same-sex marriageb(that they can marry someone of the opposite sex), is the exact same as the argument against inter-racial marriage that they can marry someone of the same race. Giving those the right to marry another consenting adult (regardless of gender) is not a special right, it is an equal right.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JsRx2lois

Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:

Most. Ironic. Post. Ever.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Excellent video. Thank you for posting this. This preacher gets it. Too bad the full-of-nonsense-guy can't hear the message this reverend is imparting, but then, hate tends to block the ears of bigots.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:

No homosexuality is not a behavior, it refers to attraction. It's amusing how up in arms you Fundies get as your stone age world comes crumbling down around you.

That's the downside to living in hateful ignorance.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
It's not and "equal rights" issue. They already have the right to marry whomever they want; just not someone of the same sex.
What??? Do you even read your own posts???

Clearly, according to you, a gay person cannot marry *whomever* they want.

Quote:
So that makes it something other than an "equal rights" issue.
It is an equal rights issue. It is also a due process issue.

You don't have to take my word for it either.

"The States' interest in defining and regulating the marital relation, subject to constitutional guarantees, stems from the understanding that marriage is more than a routine classification for purposes of certain statutory benefits. Private, consensual sexual intimacy between two adult persons of the same sex may not be punished by the State, and it can form "but one element in a personal bond that is more enduring." Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U. S. 558, 567 (2003). By its recognition of the validity of same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions and then by authorizing same-sex unions and same-sex marriages, New York sought to give [**827] further protection and dignity to that bond. For same-sex couples who wished to be married, the State acted to give their lawful conduct a lawful status. This status is a far-reaching legal acknowledgment of the intimate relationship between two people, a relationship deemed by the State worthy of dignity in the community equal with all other marriages. It reflects both the community's considered perspective on the historical [*2693] roots of the institution of marriage and its evolving understanding of the meaning of equality."

Bloomberg Law - Document - United States v. Windsor, 133 S. Ct. 2675, 186 L. Ed. 2d 808, 118 FEP Cases 1417, 57 EBC 1577 (2013), Court Opinion

Quote:
The more we allow such perversions in society, the less civilized society becomes. We are becoming totally amoral. Anything goes, no matter how perverse.
No, anything does not go. We are talking about whether two consenting adults can get married. Your contention is that no, some can't and some can.

It's a loser, frankly.

Quote:
And this is what some want to call "progress?"

Even animals show better behavior!
Actually, plenty of individual animals of various species are known to form long-term same-sex bonds in the wild and raise offspring. You simply don't know what you are talking about. Even worse, it is deliberate ignorance on your part.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why are you all arguing with this guy?? He obviously has his head so far in the clouds on this issue it's not worth the time and effort.

The bible is a silly excuse. It's a book written by man containing manmade stories from thousand of years ago. If it's going to be relevant it at least should be re-written every so often. People need to step back and make sure they still have a sense of the real world and the religious world. You shouldn't blur them together.
True, arguing with him/her/it/they in hopes of changing her/him/it's/their mind is pointless.

But that is not why I do it.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,654 times
I frequent bathhouses and even I don't think about homosexuality as much as nononsenseguy.

Makes me wonder....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies