Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 10:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Regardless, the point is that Asians often still don't care for you all. Interestingly, there has been a rise in Asians marrying other Asians within groups that married whites to a far greater extent.

Wonder if they see less benefit to marrying white these days since many are doing so well.
I DON'T care what Asians think of me being a white dude. They DON'T have the rep of starting stuff like that Ferguson nonsense so I can live around Asian people.

The reason IMHO that Asians ain't "marrying out" so much in 2014 is because of the newbies coming here. Those whose families have been here 50 years or more, they're more "American" than Chinese and so on so they WILL marry out a lot. Too, it's also a gender thing. Many Asian ladies WILL marry out which is pissing off many of the Asian dudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This is 2014, NOT 1914. Things change. BTW: it wasn't just Black people who got messed over 100 years ago either. Jews did, Chinese did, Japanese did, so did us Irish. Tho I'm talking about mostly US citizens here.

Not quite true about part assimilation here with Asians either. After about the 2nd or 3rd generation, they're pretty much gone as a minority because of intermarriage. I've known many anglo white or even Black people with at least 1 Asian grandparent.
I happen to take interest in history in general, as it is related to the present, and there is so much to learn regarding American history.

Chinese, Japanese and Irish are nationalities/cultural groups, groups that still have ties to their ethnic origins. "Black" people in the U.S. are made of over 40 ethnicities that are unknown to them because of the degree of cruelty inflicted on them. The fact that you refer to them as "black" rather than ethnicities like Irish or Japanese is evidence of the extremity of what happened to them.

The point regarding assimilation is certainly true for plenty.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I DON'T care what Asians think of me being a white dude. They DON'T have the rep of starting stuff like that Ferguson nonsense so I can live around Asian people.

The reason IMHO that Asians ain't "marrying out" so much in 2014 is because of the newbies coming here. Those whose families have been here 50 years or more, they're more "American" than Chinese and so on so they WILL marry out a lot. Too, it's also a gender thing. Many Asian ladies WILL marry out which is pissing off many of the Asian dudes.
Hahaha...if you didn't care then then you certainly would be on here claiming that Asian dislike for "us anglo whites" isn't as bad as the others. Tee hee hee.

Either way, the rates are dropping...with less Asian women marrying out. Whatever makes people happy though. Not all of us marry within our ethnic group(s).

Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
The term is one originating from narrow minds.

But feel free to explain.
My post was in response to someone asking why can't there be a black version of " white trash". And we do. The word is associated with that labeling.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
My post was in response to someone asking why can't there be a black version of " white trash". And we do. The word is associated with that labeling.
Not really...that word has long been applied to any "black" by the small-minded.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
I happen to take interest in history in general, as it is related to the present, and there is so much to learn regarding American history.

Chinese, Japanese and Irish are nationalities/cultural groups, groups that still have ties to their ethnic origins. "Black" people in the U.S. are made of over 40 ethnicities that are unknown to them because of the degree of cruelty inflicted on them. The fact that you refer to them as "black" rather than ethnicities like Irish or Japanese is evidence of the extremity of what happened to them.

The point regarding assimilation is certainly true for plenty.
So what does that even have to do with the topic at hand? Black Americans got Western names and adopted Christianity, so they should have been able to assimilate even more easily than Chinese and other Asians, who were culturally foreign. It doesn't even really make sense that ties to a foreign culture is somehow a benefit in assimilating into American culture.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
So what does that even have to do with the topic at hand? Black Americans got Western names and adopted Christianity, so they should have been able to assimilate even more easily than Chinese and other Asians, who were culturally foreign. It doesn't even really make sense that ties to a foreign culture is somehow a benefit in assimilating into American culture.
The point is that the extreme degree of cruelty inflicted upon them caused the loss of knowledge of over 40 ethnic groups, at least 40 languages (if not more), different religious and cultural practices etc. So clearly assimilation was nowhere near easy.

Last time I checked, nothing remotely near that happened to the Chinese, Japanese or Irish. If it did, none of those ethnic groups would exist today. Their cultures are accepted as part of the "melting pot" at least to some degree while the cultures of the Africans were purposely wiped out...and then pushed by law to fringes of society to prevent full assimilation despite western names and religions for years upon years.

Crazy that you couldn't understand how that is tied to the discussion...LOL.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 PM

674 posts, read 698,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You forgot: They didn't get sold in to slavery by their own tribes/family.
With regards to the European slave trade there are very few cases that I know of where a nation would sell their own members into slavery and this was the result of political upheaval, not standard occurrence. If a new king wanted to solidify power after a coup d'etat, for example, he might ship people out who were part of the former power structure. This is why when black Americans say that they are the descendants of kings of queens they are sometimes actually right. However rank and file members of a nation being rounded up by the armies of that same nation simply did not occur. African nations involved in the slave trade conquered other nations in order to get slaves to sell, not their own. That is similar to the alliances in the U.S. where some Indian nations aligned with the British would fight other Indian nations aligned with the French.

I have never heard of nor read of African families selling their own members into slavery. That did happen routinely in the U.S. due to slave masters raping females and selling offspring but I know of no instance in West Africa. By the way my father is a professor of African studies. If you happen to have solid occurrences of what you have asserted to share please do so. If not please stop making things up in the absence of actual information. American ignorance over Africa is just about as annoying as folks talking about their Cherokee princess grandmothers.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:56 PM

674 posts, read 698,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangoo View Post
West African slave trade was well established well before Europeans took advantage of it. it was perpetrated by other Africans and very often Arabs from the North. Because of tribal structure of most sub-Saharan Africa and lack of national identity people did not have a hard time capturing and selling their neighbors into slavery just like Hutu's didn't have a problem killing off their Tootsie neighbors just a few decades ago.
Tell me more about how the West African slave trade was well established before Europeans took advantage of it. Please cite specific ethnic groups instead of "West Africa" in general as that concept did not exist when the European slave trade began.

Please also reference the nations that you speak of. I'll correct you in advance in that national and ethnic identity were one at the same at that time and even give you a couple of nations to work with: Akan, Ga, Ewe, Dahomey, and Oyo.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Heheheheh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies